Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:43 PM

103 posts, read 150,119 times

Advertisements

We've been focusing on Glenview area, but I'm also curious about a commute from Highland Park. Or at least the south end of it? My husband is wondering if he would drive to Linden station and take the purple line from there? Would the commute from Highland Park be significantly more than from Glenview?

Also...thoughts on Highland Park High School compared to Glenbrook South?

Edit to add: And how about Deerfield for commuting, schools, family life, etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:11 PM

33 posts, read 41,169 times
If you take the UP-N Metra from downtown Highland Park, you can transfer to the Purple line at Davis St. in Evanston. Then you can, of course, transfer to the Red Line and get off at Addison.

From Glenview, if you drive to the station on Lehigh and take the MD-N Metra, you can get off at Mayfair and walk east about 1/5 of a mile to the Montrose Blue Line. Get on the Loop-bound train, get off at Addison, and transfer to CTA Bus 152 heading east. Ride it to Clark/Sheffield.

I would recommend living in Highland Park if the price difference isn't a significant factor because you would be essentially due north of Wrigley Field. Glenview would be more northwest.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:12 AM

169 posts, read 550,427 times
Take a look at what is happening with Highland Park schools right now. It may all pan out in the end, but I know a lot of parents that are considering leaving for neighboring towns.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 AM

What is going on in Highland Park schools?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaLucy View Post
What is going on in Highland Park schools?
Highland Park school board unanimously backs consolidation plan that would close 5 schools - Highland Park News

Quote:
Highland Park board unanimously backs consolidation plan that would close 5 schools
Quote:
Board members directed administrators to focus on a single model, the "middle school campus plan" now estimated to cost $198 million, as the district prepares for a likely March 2016 referendum.

The centerpiece of the plan calls for creating a single middle school for all fifth through eighth grade pupils on the sites of Red Oak and Sherwood elementary schools in southwest Highland Park. The school's athletic fields would be created at the adjacent West Ridge Park.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 PM

133 posts, read 291,756 times
It also would depend on where the house is in Glenview. Glenview is a very large suburb and if you live in the Eastern section, you would not need to travel to Wrigleyville that way. I would take the Edens to Dempster in Skokie and take the Skokie Swift and transfer to the Red Line at Howard. Or you could drive to Wilmette and take the Purple line from the Linden stop. There is some parking at that train station. The Skokie station has more parking than Wilmette.

The side of Glenview east of Harms is in the New Trier District and is either the Avoca District or Wilmette School District 39, depending on whether the home is North or South of Wilmette Ave.

I would prefer the Deerfield or Glenview school districts to the Highland Park ones, but that is just my personal opinion and taste.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,844 times
The Board has backed the plan, but there is some fairly vocal opposition and a $198 million referendum that will need to pass in March. My guess is that eventually a new plan will be introduced if/when this one fails. Right now though, the school board is posturing that it's all or nothing, and if this plan doesn't pass, then no new plan will be developed and schools will close, class sizes will be increased... the sky is falling. Stay tuned.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 PM

Can you tell me about fees involved in taking the UP-N? My husband is familiar with the El. For example, taking the UP-N from downtown Highland Park to the Davis station and back on a daily basis.

We'd like to figure out costs of commuting including parking etc.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
metrarail.com

Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Public transit commutes from either HP or Glenview will be a pain in the neck and wear on you very quickly. You are probably best off driving to Linden or Dempster Skokie and relying on the CTA than Metra to the CTA since there is no fare deal for transfers between the two systems as there is for Pace/CTA. I'd say driving from Glenview to Skokie would probably be better than HP to Linden.

Have you considered living in Evanston/Wilmette near the L or in Skokie near the L?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs