Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,451 times

Advertisements

Hello, long time viewer, first time poster.

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving out of the city and into Naperville. We are looking exclusively at condos or townhomes and would like to be as close to downtown and the Metra as possible.

My questions are:

Are there any specific townhomes / condos that you would recommend close to either the 59 Metra stop or the Burlington stop downtown? When I say close, I mean within walking distance (so like 1/2 mile at most).

In your opinions, is it worth the extra cost to live in downtown vs. closer to the 59 Metra stop?

I've done quite a bit of shopping around online (both MLS and non) and I'm getting the impression that most of the newer townhomes and condo fall closer to 59.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
There are several condos near downtown, or in it directly. I cant remember their names though. Alot of help I am, right? lol Theyre very expensive, naturally. I know there are some brand new ones right behind Hugo's Frog Bar, but they start at like 800K. There are also some townhomes directly north of there, right on the south side of tracks, but I cant remember their name. Then there is the cool, loft-style 5th Avenue Station apartments, right next to the Metra station on Washington.
5th Avenue Station

Oh, there is the Riverplace Condos, right near the Riverwalk too, those are pretty nice too from what I hear.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,655 times
If you have to move out here RT 59 train stop area is fine but the Naperville stop area you won't regret because its so close to downtown where everything that makes Naperville, Naperville is. We moved out here from Lincoln Park in 99' and lived in an apt. near the RT 59 stop for a year until we bought a townhome just south of downtown. The apartment wasn't horrible or anything but we always called the area "shady". Its better now because they have redone the horrible Speedway gas station that seemed to attract every derelict in the area. They have built a lot of new stuff out there as well but nothing really activity friendly, just townhouses and stores with a ton of unused retail space...gee wonder why? Anyway, downtown area you won't regret at the least. Its closest to everything you could need, grocery eating etc. and you have a wonderful riverwalk and downtown to enjoy. You really should come out and see the area. To me there really is nothing like walking around downtown in the spring. Can't wait!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 PM

198 posts, read 822,746 times
Within 1/2 mile is very difficult the lower your price range goes. I assume you want at least 2 bedrooms since you said condo/townhome. Under 150K there is one townhome I know of on the market within 1/2 mile of the downtown Naperville station (I can't tell you exact location because of the forum's rules even though it isn't even my listing - this may be why there haven't been that many responses). If you expand your 1/2 mile to a couple of miles and decide to take the Pace to the Metra then many options under 200K await you close to downtown Naperville. Many of the complexes by the Riverwalk like the condos mentioned above by another poster are super close to the shopping/dining/nightlife area of downtown but that's not where the train is and it is well over 1/2 mile walk from those condos. Under 200K by the Route 59 station you will be looking at older townhomes with 1 car garages in one or two communties and older condos staying within your 1/2 mile radius as the newer townhomes within walking distance of the Route 59 station are all on the Aurora side of the tracks. Again, expanding that radius and exploring the options provided with a Pace bus ride will definitely help your options in Naperville proper and there are many developments, both condos and townhomes, in between both stations that are in that under 200K range. Every 50K your price increases should afford you a few more options as far as the downtown section is concerned and at some point you are looking at homes vs townhomes/condos. Naperville's new developments walking distance to the train are extremely pricey. Other very nice west suburban towns have much lower entry costs into their in-town new/newer developments, not to mention lower commute times to the city. So unless family or work draws you to Naperville, consider expanding your search into other west suburban areas. Naperville is great but if you don't have 1/2 million to spend, don't expect to be in a newer townhome development walking distance to the downtown train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs