Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfamily View Post
Northbrook schools are overall great - I have been researching this subject for years and my colleagues who live throughout Chicago land have provided plenty of evidence that schools in Northwest / Southwest suburbs are not up to the same standards.
There are some excellent schools in those locations, so I'm curious as to why you and your colleagues came to that conclusion. I know Barrington is also highly regarded, as is William Fremd, and Hinsdale Central to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
There are some excellent schools in those locations, so I'm curious as to why you and your colleagues came to that conclusion. I know Barrington is also highly regarded, as is William Fremd, and Hinsdale Central to name a few.
Hinsdale is a western suburb.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,736 times
I grew up in the area of Glenview which is a part of school district 30. At Maple, the accelerated classes were taught by regular teachers. We had no major interactions with GBN.

The weak areas of school district 31 come from unincorporated Northbrook. They are also suffering from various financial problems due to a combination of property tax refunds and bad financial decisions.

Wood Oaks had a worse reputation than Northbrook Junior high. They were seen as very snotty.

School districts 30/31 are smaller than 27/28.
A student will get a good education at all of the schools.

GBN is seen as more money conscious than GBS.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,266 times
My daughter is in first grade and we are in Northbrook, District 27. She is incoming 2nd grade. What is Hickory Point like? Is it a good school? Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks!!!

Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
I grew up in the area of Glenview which is a part of school district 30. At Maple, the accelerated classes were taught by regular teachers. We had no major interactions with GBN.

The weak areas of school district 31 come from unincorporated Northbrook. They are also suffering from various financial problems due to a combination of property tax refunds and bad financial decisions.

Wood Oaks had a worse reputation than Northbrook Junior high. They were seen as very snotty.

School districts 30/31 are smaller than 27/28.
A student will get a good education at all of the schools.

GBN is seen as more money conscious than GBS.
Wood Oaks isn't snobby at all according to my kids. My socially awkward autistic son has friends and he said the kids are really nice. My daughter who just came from a very snobby school in Hoffman Estates (dist 54), said the kids at Wood Oaks are kind of nerdy and serious, but not snobby. She suffered a lot from snobs at her last junior high.

I drop off my kids each morning and I see the kids there. None of the girls dress skanky and they wear very little makeup. At the last school, it was the opposite. I was worried about my daughter fitting in because she might not have designer clothes or ugg boots, but these kids are really plain and she fits in. She even stopped wearing makeup because her peers wear little to none. At her last school, she felt pressure to wear makeup.

Last edited by twodoor2; 01-22-2016 at 04:17 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caimi View Post
My daughter is in first grade and we are in Northbrook, District 27. She is incoming 2nd grade. What is Hickory Point like? Is it a good school? Would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks!!!
I can't tell you, but my youngest goes to Shabonee and claims the kids are super smart there. I would imagine that Hickory Point is very good if they prepare them for Shabonee, which was one of the top scoring schools Illinois for the recent PARCC exams. He also loves the zillions of friends he's made, more so than the last district (54) we came from. He told me he's one of the most popular kids now, lol!

Old 02-13-2016, 02:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Wood Oaks isn't snobby at all according to my kids. My socially awkward autistic son has friends and he said the kids are really nice. My daughter who just came from a very snobby school in Hoffman Estates (dist 54), said the kids at Wood Oaks are kind of nerdy and serious, but not snobby. She suffered a lot from snobs at her last junior high.

I drop off my kids each morning and I see the kids there. None of the girls dress skanky and they wear very little makeup. At the last school, it was the opposite. I was worried about my daughter fitting in because she might not have designer clothes or ugg boots, but these kids are really plain and she fits in. She even stopped wearing makeup because her peers wear little to none. At her last school, she felt pressure to wear makeup.

When I went to junior high, Wood Oaks had a bad reputation for being snobby. It feeds into the overall reputation of Glenbrook North/Northbrook being a snobby school/village as compared to Glenbrook South/Glenview. When I was at Maple, we expressed sympathies to a person who was moving into the Wood Oaks district. Your sense of the reputation of your own district is distorted by being in it.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
When I went to junior high, Wood Oaks had a bad reputation for being snobby. It feeds into the overall reputation of Glenbrook North/Northbrook being a snobby school/village as compared to Glenbrook South/Glenview. When I was at Maple, we expressed sympathies to a person who was moving into the Wood Oaks district. Your sense of the reputation of your own district is distorted by being in it.
No, if it were snobby, I'd tell you. My son is autistic and he has lots of classmates helping him. My daughter claims there's lots of nice kids there and she has been bullied at her past school before. There are snobby kids at every school, but in our experience, we just don't see the tremendous snobby behavior that people are talking about. My daughter mostly complains that there's way more homework than past schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs