Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times

Advertisements

I still think Aurora Airport would make more sense. That would serve the entire Fox Valley/offer an alternative for those not wanting to drive up to O'Hare. It could also more easily serve the growing DeKalb area. It would be a lot more "central" in the state than one in Peotone would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 09:23 AM

277 posts, read 442,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I still think Aurora Airport would make more sense. That would serve the entire Fox Valley/offer an alternative for those not wanting to drive up to O'Hare. It could also more easily serve the growing DeKalb area. It would be a lot more "central" in the state than one in Peotone would be.
Clearly being from NWI, Gary's failed attempts at becoming a hub is probably why I actually endorse a Peotone Airport. Aurora clearly wouldn't help my logistical situation and find myself grumbling when I have to drive out to Midway. It's just a bad road corridor to get through in order to get there.

The Illiana Expressway/Peotone combo made for a rather nice commute there in theory.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
Clearly being from NWI, Gary's failed attempts at becoming a hub is probably why I actually endorse a Peotone Airport. Aurora clearly wouldn't help my logistical situation and find myself grumbling when I have to drive out to Midway. It's just a bad road corridor to get through in order to get there.

The Illiana Expressway/Peotone combo made for a rather nice commute there in theory.
In theory, but for people within the state, it would really lessen the burden of traffic heading into the city if people were actually heading away from it. If BNSF could extend their line out to the Aurora Airport in Sugar Grove that would make for an excellent combo.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
A good example of a useless airport is MidAmerica near St Louis. Originally part of Scott AFB, it was conceived as a reliever to Lambert field. It only sees about 20,000 boardings a year and only one cargo airline serves it. The Chicago area already has OHare, Midway, and Milwaukee. If the need for an airport convenient to the south suburbs were so critical, Gary would have taken off years ago. As it is, passengers come from over 100 miles (160 km) to fly out of OHare.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:37 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Illinois really needs to drop this idea already. O'Hare has plenty of capacity, they just need more gates to handle the flights.

Expert: O'Hare needs more gates, not more runways | Chicago

Cincinnati, St. Louis and other cities have all been de-hubbed recently. Great points have already been made about the lack of demand at Gary and Mid-America in the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis. I would love airport supporters to explain which airline is going to use Peotone as a hub? Airlines have been over capacity and struggling to be profitable for years.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13180...-weakness.html

There's no way United or American are going to abandon O'Hare, and they discontinued all flights at Midway. Why would they operate a handful of flights out of Peotone?

Southwest has really been increasing their focus on business travelers over the last decade. They're not leaving Midway. Also, if they did, it would devastate the Southwest side.

Delta isn't going to abandon Detroit or Minneapolis.

And that's it for major carriers now. Niche carriers like Spirit and Frontier operate just a few flights from Chicago, and it's not because of capacity issues. Even if there was an airline willing to operate a few flights from Peotone, It's hard to justify a billion dollar plus airport for a few flights.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
They need some of these planes:

Watch This Dreamliner Go Vertical After Takeoff | Popular Science

Old 06-15-2015, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,814 times
what about rockford's airport?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Who would want to fly out of Peotone, an airport in the middle of a corn field over an hours dive from Chicago (44 miles) with no public transit.
Well, duh. It may be cornfield now but if they build the airport and a highway, it'll fill in. We don't have enough affordable places for people to live that are 90% or more white non-Hispanic. This will also help the auto industry in these difficult times.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:17 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Well, duh. It may be cornfield now but if they build the airport and a highway, it'll fill in. We don't have enough affordable places for people to live that are 90% or more white non-Hispanic. This will also help the auto industry in these difficult times.
Wow! First, that's what they said when they built the Kansas City airport in a cornfield almost 50 years. It hasn't happened, has it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3115.../data=!3m1!1e3

Second, why do we need affordable places to live filled with white people?

The third comment may be the most stunning. Why would people buy a new car just because there's a new subdivision? What are we going to do about the established communities further north that are already struggling? Why is more sprawl and pollution a good thing.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Wow! First, that's what they said when they built the Kansas City airport in a cornfield almost 50 years. It hasn't happened, has it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3115.../data=!3m1!1e3

Second, why do we need affordable places to live filled with white people?

The third comment may be the most stunning. Why would people buy a new car just because there's a new subdivision? What are we going to do about the established communities further north that are already struggling? Why is more sprawl and pollution a good thing.
I guess you missed the sarcasm there huh? Anyway, please direct your angst to the urban planners Quinn hired, apparently from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs