Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 AM

7 posts, read 46,279 times

Advertisements

Will Plainfield be the new Naperville in terms of becoming an affluent suburb? From my understanding, many years ago Naperville was quite small in terms of population and commercial development. Individuals that purchased property in Naperville ~ >15 years ago reaped huge returns in terms of equity/appreciation. Plainfield is one of the fastest growing suburbs in the nation at this time, but will it ever reach the prosperous and coveted status of Naperville.

Last edited by nuianqueen926; 01-05-2008 at 01:11 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM

782 posts, read 3,788,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuianqueen926 View Post
Will Plainfield be the new Naperville in terms of becoming an affluent suburb? From my understanding, many years ago Naperville was quite small in terms of population and commercial development. Individuals that purchased property in Naperville ~ >15 years ago reaped huge returns in terms of equity/appreciation. Plainfield is one of the fastest growing suburbs in the nation at this time, but will it ever reach the prosperous and coveted status of Naperville.
They say oswego will be the next naperville.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 PM

71 posts, read 332,517 times
Once the real estate market starts stabilizing itself, I'm sure that we'll see an increase in population in Plainfield. Homes are still affordable out that way and I personally know several people that have made the move out towards Plainfield. And I'm sure that the new I-355 extension will have some influence as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:53 PM

18 posts, read 79,395 times
Default never

plainfield is the next joliet it has too many bad areas. if u r looking for the next naperville try new lenox they have 2 million sq. ft. of real estate coming in the next 5 years and no real bad areas

Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 46,279 times
Where are the bad areas in Plainfield? Are they in N. Plainfield or S. Plainfield - specifically? Or were you referring to the bad areas in Joliet?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet6635 View Post
plainfield is the next joliet it has too many bad areas. if u r looking for the next naperville try new lenox they have 2 million sq. ft. of real estate coming in the next 5 years and no real bad areas
Bad areas in Plainfield? Where? I live near Plainfield and have yet to see a bad area in Plainfield. If you consider McMansions going up left and right a bad area, than yes, I guess it is pretty rough. IMO, Plainfield is much more a younger version of Naperville and is nothing like Joliet.

Last edited by sbd78; 01-06-2008 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 11:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Oswego and Plainfield becoming the next Naperville? Thats laughable. Theyre growing like weeds, true enough, but theyre not prestigious (for the most part). And theyre not chock full of big, powerful companies either, nor do they have thriving downtowns like Naperville does. The only way they can become the "next Naperville" is by population alone.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:06 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Oswego and Plainfield becoming the next Naperville? Thats laughable. Theyre growing like weeds, true enough, but theyre not prestigious (for the most part). And theyre not chock full of big, powerful companies either, nor do they have thriving downtowns like Naperville does. The only way they can become the "next Naperville" is by population alone.
Sure, Plainfield and Oswego have a loooong way to go before they will be "Naperville" but 20 years ago, Naperville was nothing to write home about either. Plainfield and Oswego are getting a lot of Naperville overflow, and only time will tell how big they will become.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:14 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
I hope not. I lived there growing up via Brookfield (lived there until jr. high) and graduated from Naperville North. It's so white-bread, the people at Wonder were starting to become nervous during the first boom. The only diversity Naperville has are the kids they recruit to play football from the inner-city. And the signs celebrating everything from being Football state champions to Safety Rodeo champions need to come down as they are very self-aggrandizing. The Chicago area does NOT need another Naperville!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The Chicago area does NOT need another Naperville!
What do we need then? Another Aurora?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs