Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

I don't anticipate our current small class sizes, science and math programs, or extra activities to be affected--nor would I expect noticeable impacts to these things in Oak Park or Wilmette. At worst, taxes will just increase a small amount. You pointed out how Oak Park had a surplus from over-collecting, so they may not even NEED to raise taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Context!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I don't anticipate our current small class sizes, science and math programs, or extra activities to be affected--nor would I expect noticeable impacts to these things in Oak Park or Wilmette. At worst, taxes will just increase a small amount. You pointed out how Oak Park had a surplus from over-collecting, so they may not even NEED to raise taxes.
I love Glen Ellyn, applaud the high standards has and generally think its schools are quite good.

That said, AVG CLASS SIZE in the D41's best performing school is considerably ABOVE the state avg right now -- BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ELEM SCHOOL | Average Class Size

Similarly the average class size for the Oak Park's D97 is just a single child below the state average -- OAK PARK ESD 97 | Average Class Size

What's a school that has "small class size" in this context? How about 25% few than the state average -- BUTLER JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL | Average Class Size

Similarly, the level of performance on the VERY WEAK state mandated tests hardly show the districts knocking it out of the ballpark on science or math --

OAK PARK ESD 97 | ISAT Test Results

AND FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME -- If the OP is seriously looking for these things FROM AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IN ILLINOIS
Quote:
extra activities (e.g. after school programs) that offer language, sports, architecture or engineering.
it just does not exist. If the OP wants to track them down, pay extra, arrange for transportation, and jump through all the other hoops, then SURE they can find that, but somehow I think the same sorts of things would likely be possible if they moved to a third world country and hired a team or tutors, coaches and trainers AND GIVEN OUR TAX STRUCTURE they might very well be better off...

Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I love Glen Ellyn, applaud the high standards has and generally think its schools are quite good.

That said, AVG CLASS SIZE in the D41's best performing school is considerably ABOVE the state avg right now -- BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ELEM SCHOOL | Average Class Size
This is self-correcting with lower enrollment in lower grade levels. We'll see 22-23 kids per class within a few years (or already do with my younger kids). Contrast to CPS which has 27-29 in the best-ranked elementary schools like Nettlehorst.

Quote:

AND FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME -- If the OP is seriously looking for these things FROM AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IN ILLINOIS it just does not exist. If the OP wants to track them down, pay extra, arrange for transportation, and jump through all the other hoops, then SURE they can find that, but somehow I think the same sorts of things would likely be possible if they moved to a third world country and hired a team or tutors, coaches and trainers AND GIVEN OUR TAX STRUCTURE they might very well be better off...
We already pointed out that foreign language and engineering programs DO IN FACT EXIST in many elementary schools in the area. Sports are nearly always outside of elementary schools in just about every place in the U.S. It's really not a big deal. It's the NORM. After school enrichment opportunities are plentiful. You just don't have a good argument here.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
This doesn't bode well for Oak Park:
DeShawn Isabelle's mother turns her in for alleged CTA sexual assault and robbery | Daily Mail Online

3pm on a Monday. Awful.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
It reminds me of that mid-day hammer attack a few years ago as a young dad walked home from the train. These incidents happen every so often, but are in fact pretty rare in Oak Park.

They are even MORE rare in Wheaton, but hey, it's not for everyone, right?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
It's easy to cherry pick things that happen anywhere, and indeed there are "awful" things that happen everywhere. Oak Park is safe, but feel free to name any desirable and it wouldn't be hard to find "awful" things that have happened. As lookout kid mentions, these types of incidents are rare in Oak Park.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Anyone that is clueless about the current funding situation either needs to get up to speed or suffer the likely draconian changes that will be wrought.

Page 6 of this pdf clearly shows that OPRF would have a massive 71% hit to state funding, while the elementary district would see a much smaller hit the FACT is that the actual TAX PAYERS for both legal entities would still feel it their wallets!
http://www.isbe.net/funding/pdf/gsa-fy14-sb589.pdf

Last year's SB16 caused a lot of worry to BOTH the elementary and high school district in Oak Park
New school funding bill worries Oak Park's D97, D200 | Articles | News | OakPark.com

Frankly any school district in Illinois that currently is operating with normal amounts of funding could be turned upside down by even the proposals in this year's SB#1
SB 1 will have catastrophic impact on schools | mySuburbanLife.com
I'm well aware of the data and the articles, but this hasn't happened yet, so all the dooms day analysis is no more than the typical fear mongering. IF the bill passes, it will be a bridge to cross at that time for all districts that have state funding. As of right now, life goes on, but seeing as Oak Parkers value education first and foremost, I would not be surprised to see people fight for the things that matter most.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,461 times
Just quickly want to clarify. D97 students have Spanish 4 days a week. The district purchased Rosetta Stone so the third graders and up have Rosetta Stone hw weekly on their district issued Ipads.

Re: class size, third grade has 18 and kindergarten has 19 or 20 (times 2 different k classes).

Re: on site at school after school programming, this year alone, my three have taken basketball, chess, baseball, ukelele and a general all sports class. There are so many other offerings like blog writing, science, cooking, dance and crafting. I think there are about 15 after school classes offered with three different sessions a year. Pickup is at 4:15, so I don't think these classes constitute after care (which is separate), but certainly some great and fun choices.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM

Good info Kindra. Re the Kindergarten class sizes , I think it's worth noting that in some schools like Whittier there are mixed age classes like K1 and K1,2 and they are split up by grades for specific classes like English and Maths, so if you have a class of 19 in K1, the actual number of students per teacher in English or Maths is 9 or 10 students to 1 teacher, and that doesn't include the teacher's assistants they have. Certainly not what I'd consider a negative student teacher ratio.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
REALLY D97 now uses the BRITISH term "maths" or is that just your own personal affectation? Either way, quite pretentious

Thank Kyeew ! Madonna’s Phony Accent Is the Latest Fashionable Thing | Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs