Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM

11 posts, read 16,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Coming from someone who's lived about a mile from La Grange as a kid, and who has been there hundreds of times, I can tell you that idiots blaring loud music happens anywhere. It happens even west of LG Rd. It happens in Hinsdale. That's not, at least in My opinion, something you should be concerned about, unless there's a group of five or six people "hangin" outside of a parked car, blaring loud music, which in that case, yes, should probably warrant concern. You are pretty much spot on though. La Grange is very safe, even it's "depressed" section. It hasn't had a homicide since 2006, and I believe that was a domestic situation. No gangs, no crack houses or beatings and shootings on a daily basis, I'd say it's safe.

I've never understood why that NE section of LG hasn't gentrified over the years. Must be some loyal residents. It's definitely not desirable, but LG is just too wealthy and far more upscale than that itty bitty questionable section. The Downtown, Lyons Township HS, and it's completely convenient train station are just a few reasons as to why it won't be going down the drain any time soon. Prices are going up there.

La Grange has very few Apartment buildings. Those are far outnumbered by townhomes and condos for people more fortunate along the BNSF tracks. Despite that area along the industrial tracks, La Grange is about as safe as it gets.
I have a pet theory that Polish people are the ones gentrifying that area. Driving down around bluff/6th/7th/8th/east ave. the area looks FAR nicer than it used to. So I think you are seeing your gentrification.

The fact is, that little area of La Grange under/near the bridge used to have crack houses. It doesn't anymore and probably hasn't in nearly a decade now.

La Grange also has one other thing going for it that I think people pass over when compared to places like hinsdale: I can afford to live in La Grange and I FIT IN with my neighbors. I might be able to afford to live in Hinsdale, but I know that I am not from that class of people and it would be very uncomfortable I think. I know this was part of the thought process even when my family moved us to La Grange in the late 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 02:31 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
Not sure LG is affordable anymore - Not Hinsdale expensive but houses are pricey…. Teardowns going for 300k+

Old 12-04-2014, 12:01 PM

110 posts, read 277,791 times
There are 2 tear downs in Hinsdale that we had our eye on (they had somewhat larger yards, which made them attractive) . . . until we saw the prices: $850k and $899k. Lovely.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
There are 2 tear downs in Hinsdale that we had our eye on (they had somewhat larger yards, which made them attractive) . . . until we saw the prices: $850k and $899k. Lovely.
That's for the new house on the lot, or just for the older house waiting to be torn down? Because certain teardown candidate lots in Hinsdale might get that expensive.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:05 PM

110 posts, read 277,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's for the new house on the lot, or just for the older house waiting to be torn down? Because certain teardown candidate lots in Hinsdale might get that expensive.
That's for the actual house that will be torn down. On top of that, to build new, figure about $250-$300/sq. ft.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
That's for the actual house that will be torn down. On top of that, to build new, figure about $250-$300/sq. ft.
Dat be cray cray, Chris. But I did see several $550,000 houses in Hinsdale that were total crap holes on small lots or in weird locations, so I guess I'm not that surprised. We just gave up on that town and moved on to a place where we could actually achieve a decent quality of life.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 28,961 times
[quote=I think the OP will do what we did (look at these 3 areas because they are the best) and when the right house/location pops up/buy… We had our favorite town and sure they will to after visiting and experiencing each. I think we are all curious now to see which way they go... [/QUOTE]

We did have a look and are doing just as you said - we like all three areas and are now keeping our eyes open and waiting for the right house. For what's it worth, I did find Hinsdale to be the most charming. Maybe it's the town layout or the quieter downtown but I like it best. La Grange, Western Springs and Downer's Grove were also lovely and certainly more happening downtown. We'll be happy in any of those towns but keeping my fingers crossed we find the "the one" in Hinsdale.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
Awesome news Texan... Good luck, now comes the fun part - catching the right one...

Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 PM

16 posts, read 35,977 times
Let me throw in something to think about if you consider Western Springs. They use their own well water, they don't use Lake Michigan water. My husband and I were going to buy there and we had the water tested for radon. It came back with levels that we were not comfortable with so we cancelled the contract. A lot of research and discussion with several different people at certain agencies went into our decision, and we are happy that we did not buy there.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Radon in water has never been associated with any increased public health risks. Fact is Western Springs was once a destination for "health spa" outings...

The water department has all the data-- http://www.wsprings.com/DocumentCenter/View/68

I have never heard of anyone walking away from a home over radon in water.

http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesr...lth%20concern?
Quote:
What levels of radon in water should I be concerned about?
There is currently no federally-enforced drinking water standard for radon.

Last edited by chet everett; 12-11-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs