Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

With a budget of over $1.2 million there are lots of factors that the OP should consider.
Of course one of the "cardinal rules" of real estate I'd recommend sticking to is " most affordable home in most desirable block" and that might give a boost to the SE portions of Hinsdale...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
With a budget of over $1.2 million there are lots of factors that the OP should consider.
Of course one of the "cardinal rules" of real estate I'd recommend sticking to is " most affordable home in most desirable block" and that might give a boost to the SE portions of Hinsdale...
OP's budget is up to $1.2mil. But I won't disagree with your rules.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
This reminds me of this house that my husband and I toured before we bought our current house (it just recently sold, a year later):

35 Short St, Clarendon Hills, IL 60514 - Zillow
I remember this house too. It was on the market for a looooong time.... 6 years!

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-25-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 08:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I agree with that, unless the home is only affordable because of some major issue that can't be fixed.

High-priced real estate in a place like Hinsdale seems to operate in a tidy, logical marketplace, since there will always be high-budget shoppers looking at Hinsdale. But if you drive around Chicagoland you'll see million-dollar homes in just about every decent suburb. There's always someone who wants to be "king of the hill" in his particular neck of the woods with the largest house around, and I can certainly understand the psychological appeal. But at the end of the day it probably makes more financial sense to be on the low end, or even in the middle of the pack for a particular neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
La Grange will give you more bang for your buck and personally if it were me I would actually prefer lagrange. I think if you're looking for even cheaper housing stock while still being a decent area Brookfield wouldn't be a bad choice if you pick the right area.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,034 times
even at 1M you are not "king of the hill" in DTLG in the most desirable (prime/historic core) locations.... you are in the top 25% IMO...

Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I remember this house too. It was on the market for a looooong time.... 6 years!
I know, crazy, right? Did you happen to tour it? I did... and, man, it was a mess. I saw it in December 2012 and there was so much unfinished. Obviously they realized at some point it wasn't going to be worth even close to what they were asking, but still, you have to finish things if you want a buyer to desire the house! The yard was very disappointing, too, since there basically was no back yard to speak of. I'm the type of person who could maybe overlook the fact that the house backed to Rt. 83, but there was just nothing there to work with.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
even at 1M you are not "king of the hill" in DTLG in the most desirable (prime/historic core) locations.... you are in the top 25% IMO...
Comment was more for the desperate soul who builds a $1m McMansion in Roselle.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...71-43518?row=2

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanUpNorth View Post
We will be moving our family from Austin after the school year and I am trying to get an understanding of the Western suburbs. I know Hinsdale is widely considered the most affluent of the Western suburbs and the most expensive. It does seem like a lovely village so perhaps it's worth the extra cost.

But wondering how other areas like La Grange compare. Or even Downers Grove and Western Springs. For a family of four with a budget of about $1M to $1.2M do you think you get the most bang for your buck in Hinsdale (schools, events, recreation, downtown) or in the surrounding villages? FYI - Naperville is out for us but would consider other Western villages.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great!

One place that you might want to consider is the part of Burr Ridge that is between 55th and Plainfield and east of County Line Rd. That area goes to Hinsdale schools, has large lots and large homes with a more open feel to it. You get the benefits of the Hinsdale school system and are close to Hinsdale, and Western Springs and LaGrange are a quick drive down 55th st.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
One place that you might want to consider is the part of Burr Ridge that is between 55th and Plainfield and east of County Line Rd. That area goes to Hinsdale schools, has large lots and large homes with a more open feel to it. You get the benefits of the Hinsdale school system and are close to Hinsdale, and Western Springs and LaGrange are a quick drive down 55th st.
Yeah, I guess it depends on the type of house/neighborhood the OP is interested in. If they want a big post-war house on big lot and/or Cul-de-sac, that is available in the area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs