Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
This is interesting given the stereotype that is passed around of Glen Ellyn being more "progressive" (at least for DuPage) -- which the town's history sorta backs-up. I've gotten the impression that Wheaton's "rightness" and Glen Ellyn "leftness" forms one the primary differences between the two towns, which could otherwise be described as non-identical twins.
Could be. We've certainly met people from both sides of the political spectrum here who have been forthcoming about their beliefs on Facebook, with political signs, etc. Seems to be about 50/50 as far as I can tell, but people don't go around with identifying markings or bring politics in social situations all that much. GE is definitely more conservative than anywhere I've lived in the past 20 years, but I've been almost entirely within major "liberal bubbles" in that timeframe, so that's not saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Well there is an enormous difference between the DuPage Co of today and that of even 6-8 years ago to say nothing of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There is one poster in particular who lived "by St. Pet's" and said they didn't make a single friend in two years, or something like that. I don't know what happened there, but we've had quite the opposite experience--and also live in "Central Glen Ellyn", though not in the immediate vicinity of St. Petronille. I've thought of going back to those old posts and offering a differing opinion, but haven't done so.

As soon as the moving truck from Chicago lifted it's ramp, we had neighbors stopping over to meet us and introduce themselves. And we got invites to neighbors' houses almost immediately, baked good dropped off, and kids stopping over to play with our kids. There are a few neighbors who keep to themselves (they are older or travel a lot for work). But for the most part, we are in a VERY social neighborhood, and if we are outside we can almost guarantee that we will have someone stopping by to chat or kids coming over to play. In fact, it can be a challenge to get rid of people if we are in a hurry to go somewhere. But we love it, and encourage the "stop by", and are usually ready with a beer or bottle of wine.

While we are not that far off the typical Glen Ellyn demographic, we aren't exactly a perfect cultural fit, and would have probably had more in common with a typical Oak Park family. We have a touch of the"aging hipster" thing going on, and lean left politically, but we have made an effort to be open-minded and non-judgmental, and have friends from various backgrounds and age groups (even some Republicans *gasp* which no one admitted to being in Chicago). And while there are certainly a lot of Glen Ellyn "boomerangs" (people that grew up here and then settle here later in life with their families), most of the people that live around us are actually from other states or elsewhere in the Chicago area. We even have a few British ex-pats within a two block radius (both married to Americans). And most of the new residents we have met are like us, and lived in the City of Chicago prior to moving here.
...even more "ancient history" -- 20 years when DuPage Co was a true "GOP stronghold" and we had politcal leaders like Jack Knuepfer there was all kinds of opposition to everything from public transit to county supported medical care. There were very old fashioned ideas about the "roots of urban blight" and honestly even the most "red state" type politically active registered Repoblican in DuPage Co now has mostly "progrssive" views on everything but taxes (which I think even the most dyed in the wool DNC supporters now understand are both too easy to misappropriate like Blogo did and often most burdensome on the people least able to afford them that end up selling their home to live in a crappy 'retirement village'...) and of course the "law and order" issues. Whether it is a DUI or a domestic disturbance or heaven forbid a drug trafficking thing you DO NOT WANT TO MESS with DuPage Co state's attorney, he routinely asks juudges to throw the book at such offenders and some of the judges amp up even the harsh sentencing requests.

Illinois has become a very weird place. Honestly when you have ultra-partisan types like Rahm Emanuel strong arming donantions out of billionaries and basically cheering on the most invasive police surveillance it really flips the traditonal view of what it means to be a "liberal".

I know many people that have grown tired of tactics of both Illionios Sen Dick Durbin and his demonizing of those that don't kowtow to his pleas for campaign cash as well the limp responses of Sen Mark Kirk to threats to traditonal security issues that he was once supportative of. Sadly it does not seems likely candidate Oberweiss will make much headway...

The "down on the block" attitudes of folks in DuPage Co are really driven by issues literally "close to home". While the complaints made by folks like Karen Lewis might get a slightly more sympathic response from DuPage dwelling teachers than their non-teaching/ non-organized labor neighbors, folks really care a whole lot more about how their own schools are faring in the face of disjointed responses to NCLB / emerging Common Core issues. Similarly if you ask even the most granola crunching / plasma-leaking-hearted liberal if they'd support any proposal that heaps more tax burden on the suburbs to "save" the inner city as they've seen that in Illinois the folks least likely to be helped are those most needy and the "insiders" merely funnel these resources to the various pork projects that ensure their re-election and thus the answer is NO...

When it comes to the sorts of "social issues" that were once "hot buttons" (like the recent decision from SCOTUS re Hobby Lobby) the response of nearly every neighbor I have tried to get an opinion out of has been mostly a "shrug". Educated people that understsnd the basis of the legal ruling are plentiful in suburbia. Even among those that I know have previously voiced concerns about things like "woman's health" now see through the smoke screen of any supposed "war on a gender" designed to fire up the political base.
The other big media story, "marriage equality"', is similarly a total non-issue to my surburban neighbors. The gay couples that have moved to suburbia and have kids enrolled in the same schools as their neighbors, and plant flowers in their yards, walk their dogs and otherwise behave like all the other married suburban couples have gone a long way to allay over blown fears of radicalism run amok. (Now when it comes down to it the folks that I know through my sister's more urban / artistic / activist circles that do believe in a more adamantly promiscuous lifestyle some are probably more vocaly opposed to the ready acceptance of marriage as the new "ideal" or "goal" ...). It is really a little odd to be a straight subruban married man with grown kids "mediating" a heated discussion between various factions of gay/lesbian guests at a cocktail party in Lincoln Square but honestly I do think that more and more of the kinds of interactions that do happen in the suburbs are now politically "broader" than those of city dwellers...

The differnces between towns and even neighborhoods within larger towns are more and more driven by not just income but the kinds of experiences that often go along with various "steps" on the "income ladder". For folks that attended a "T14" type law school and have become highly cynical about the various tactics of poltical leadership of all stripes it is kind of a different world than among folks that maybe still have some of the naive beliefs of the less partisan / charged schools. Similarly among folks that have worked in enough "global organizations" to see the less than fully ethical behavior that shifts around not just responsibility but profit and taxes in these organizations it is remarkably easy to become quickly jaded to any "speachifying" regarding institutional standards etc. Similarly having a few neighbors that will "set everyone straight" about the scale of corruption in places like Afghan combat zones or the bueracratic morass of Bombay or pretty much every city of central / southern America adds quite the "perspective" to someone spouting off about a volunteer on a local school board / ZBA somehow "profiting" from their involvement...

Last edited by chet everett; 07-17-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,524 times
My 18 yr old daughter is moving to the Chicago area to work in Lemont, IL, take night classes at College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, and live in Hinsdale. What will the traffic be like between these 3 suburbs? Leaving Hinsdale in the morning for Lemont, leaving Lemont at 5 and driving to Glen Ellyn then home to Hinsdale at 9 pm? Based on comments I have read, all three suburbs seem safe, but is there anything we need to consider for her safety For example, I know she will want to go downtown by train - is that safe? Who should we call for internet and cable (cheapest)!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by washerchamp View Post
My 18 yr old daughter is moving to the Chicago area to work in Lemont, IL, take night classes at College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, and live in Hinsdale. What will the traffic be like between these 3 suburbs? Leaving Hinsdale in the morning for Lemont, leaving Lemont at 5 and driving to Glen Ellyn then home to Hinsdale at 9 pm? Based on comments I have read, all three suburbs seem safe, but is there anything we need to consider for her safety For example, I know she will want to go downtown by train - is that safe? Who should we call for internet and cable (cheapest)!
Seem safe? Towns don't come any safer.

Metra train service is exceedingly safe as well, with conductors in nearly every car. Nothing to worry about there. The last train leaving downtown for the suburbs usually departs ~12:30am, so it limits the late-night options if that's what she after. But it's great for heading downtown during the day for sight-seeing, etc.

Comcast for internet is my preference.

Why is she living in Hinsdale? I don't think any part of the commute will be overly strenuous, but unless she has free room and board in Hinsdale I can't see the advantage of living there over just setting up in GE. Living in GE would save 20-25 minutes in the car each day. Occasional access to the city via Metra train service is easy from GE as well.

Regardless, this three-way commute is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-17-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 01:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
The cable question is the easiet -- Comcast is superior to AT&T Uverse. Those are generally the only two options.

I am little surprised that someone just 18 will be working in Lemont, living in Hinsdale and taking classes at CoD, that will be LOTS of driving. Further, of the apartment is in the portion of unincorporated DuPage along south Route 83 that has a Hinsdale address I would STRONGLY caution that several of the larger apartment complexes have an unsavory repuatation. Though DuPage Co Sherif generally has an active patrol policy in the area there have been some unfortunate incidents with deals for drugs gone wrong and violence. If this was my 18 year old I would not be eager to have those issues near by...

Metra rail itself is quite safe indeed, and the stations at both the suburban end and Union Station in Chicago present no threats. Getting from the station to an area wi live music might be a challenge and if she is not familar with connecting to public transit / sticking to a schedule that could be a rude awakening. Might want to pre-plan specific routes. I really hope she has friends nearby too..

Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
What will the traffic be like between these 3 suburbs? Leaving Hinsdale in the morning for Lemont, leaving Lemont at 5 and driving to Glen Ellyn then home to Hinsdale at 9 pm?
Hinsdale to Lemont shouldn't be too bad since she will be driving SW against the flow of most rush hour traffic, but she might have trouble crossing I-55 and limited routes over the waterways. Lemont to Glen Ellyn would probably involve taking I-355 north during the afternoon rush, and I am unsure of how the interchange with I-88 would clog up at 5pm... Could be the worst of the traffic choke points in her routine, though unlikely to be a huge problem.

It should be a piece of cake to get from Glen Ellyn to Hinsdale at 9pm.

Quote:
Based on comments I have read, all three suburbs seem safe, but is there anything we need to consider for her safety For example, I know she will want to go downtown by train - is that safe?
Not really. Your daughter would have no reason to go through any dangerous areas in her daily commuting routes. And trains to the city are very safe if she wants to check out Chicago. Almost any part of Chicago she would be interested in seeing would not be a problem either--don't fall for the media hysteria.

Quote:
Who should we call for internet and cable (cheapest)!
In our area WOW is the cheapest, but we still prefer Comcast. AT&T U-Verse is another option.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 07-17-2014 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Mixed up the commuting routine.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Why is she living in Hinsdale? I don't think any part of the commute will be overly strenuous, but unless she has free room and board in Hinsdale I can't see the advantage of living there over just setting up in GE. Living in GE would save 20-25 minutes in the car each day.
Yeah, it seems kind of bizarre. She should live closer to Lemont or Glen Ellyn unless she is getting some huge perk in Hinsdale.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,524 times
THANK YOU all for responding so quickly. This job/move came up suddenly and the apartment in Hinsdale belongs to someone in the company. The rent will be affordable, but we won't see it until next week. I appreciate the information about unincorporated Dupage south of 83 and will check that out because her safety is most important to me. On the other hand, my daughter is excited to get downtown via the train and wants cable and internet - we live in a very rural area and our options are limited. Holl1ngsworth made fun of me for saying "seems safe"! I wish I knew how to post a picture of my 80 acre backyard - out here in the sticks, we get nervous when a car comes down the road! I will probably have more questions after visiting the area next week and hope you will help me again - thanks!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
THANK YOU all for responding so quickly. This job/move came up suddenly and the apartment in Hinsdale belongs to someone in the company. The rent will be affordable, but we won't see it until next week. I appreciate the information about unincorporated Dupage south of 83 and will check that out because her safety is most important to me. On the other hand, my daughter is excited to get downtown via the train and wants cable and internet - we live in a very rural area and our options are limited. Holl1ngsworth made fun of me for saying "seems safe"! I wish I knew how to post a picture of my 80 acre backyard - out here in the sticks, we get nervous when a car comes down the road! I will probably have more questions after visiting the area next week and hope you will help me again - thanks!
I second Chet's advice that some of apartments south/southwest of Hinsdale are a little sketchy (note: these unincorporated areas are south on 83, not south of 83, as 83 or "Kingery Highway" runs north-south, and some have actual "Hinsdale" addresses). Maybe you could give Chet (who lives in the Hinsdale area) the nearest cross street to the address, and he could give you better info. You may also want to look at Glen Ellyn as an option. Rents are a little lower there -- you might find something less sketchy for the same price -- and you'd eliminate one of the commute legs. LoK lives in GE and he might be able to recommend something near the center of town.

What's the budget?

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-17-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 AM

13 posts, read 35,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There is one poster in particular who lived "by St. Pet's" and said they didn't make a single friend in two years, or something like that. I don't know what happened there, but we've had quite the opposite experience--and also live in "Central Glen Ellyn", though not in the immediate vicinity of St. Petronille. I've thought of going back to those old posts and offering a differing opinion, but haven't done so.

As soon as the moving truck from Chicago lifted it's ramp, we had neighbors stopping over to meet us and introduce themselves. And we got invites to neighbors' houses almost immediately, baked good dropped off, and kids stopping over to play with our kids. There are a few neighbors who keep to themselves (they are older or travel a lot for work). But for the most part, we are in a VERY social neighborhood, and if we are outside we can almost guarantee that we will have someone stopping by to chat or kids coming over to play. In fact, it can be a challenge to get rid of people if we are in a hurry to go somewhere. But we love it, and encourage the "stop by", and are usually ready with a beer or bottle of wine.

While we are not that far off the typical Glen Ellyn demographic, we aren't exactly a perfect cultural fit, and would have probably had more in common with a typical Oak Park family. We have a touch of the"aging hipster" thing going on, and lean left politically, but we have made an effort to be open-minded and non-judgmental, and have friends from various backgrounds and age groups (even some Republicans *gasp* which no one admitted to being in Chicago). And while there are certainly a lot of Glen Ellyn "boomerangs" (people that grew up here and then settle here later in life with their families), most of the people that live around us are actually from other states or elsewhere in the Chicago area. We even have a few British ex-pats within a two block radius (both married to Americans). And most of the new residents we have met are like us, and lived in the City of Chicago prior to moving here.
That's nice to hear. We are similar culturally and are English-American couple so it would be nice to meet others like us. Can I ask which area of Glen Ellyn you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs