Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2006, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,767 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering moving from Springfield to the area. We have an autistic 12 year old and a typical 8 year old.

Anyone provide any information regarding school districts for a child with disabilities?

Last edited by autismmom; 10-25-2006 at 06:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 19,013 times
Hi,autismom, you can check here:
http://www.autismillinois.com/Schools.html
http://www.autismillinois.org/
http://www.theautismprogram.org/.
Hope I was helpful. Take care !

Old 11-12-2006, 08:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,550 times
Do you have a mentor ?

I would call the district or a Child Resource Agency and ask for advice what your options are as far as school etc.

I dont know the area well where you are moving .. some school districts bus children to other districts depending on what they have as far as options within the school dist.
good luck

Old 11-12-2006, 07:39 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
batman? What exactly is your problem? You have pretty much posted on every thread that people start about relocating that people should not move to Illinois or Chicago and have done nothing but insult all the fair residents of this state and city. Enough already.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 AM

30 posts, read 429,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
batman? What exactly is your problem? You have pretty much posted on every thread that people start about relocating that people should not move to Illinois or Chicago and have done nothing but insult all the fair residents of this state and city. Enough already.
i, myself, am autistic and i am literally trapped in northeast illinois like an animal awaiting execution!!! in too many more cases than not, when i say "hi" to someone on the streets or at a park, all i get is a mean face and a dirty look, as if that person was saying; "who the xxxx are you and what the xxxx d'ya think you're doing in my community??!!!" i have been banned from many organizations for people with disabilities because they had "too many people"! the other groups/organizations that did not ban me have been shut down! my mother's boss is a dictator of the workplace, my parents would never move out of illinois if osama bin laden or even fidel castro were governor of illinois, or even if armageddon broke out in illinois. and worse, what if illinois were to pass a new law that would allow massacreing of people with disabilities?!!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
I'm sorry you are having a bad experience, but I do not think that your personal experience translates to the attitudes and people of an entire state and city. I've lived in Chicago and Illinois most of my life and know many gracious, caring, and good people here, nor do I appreciate your sentiments toward an entire city and state, it is completely unfair to stereotype several million people based on your experience with a few.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM

30 posts, read 429,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm sorry you are having a bad experience, but I do not think that your personal experience translates to the attitudes and people of an entire state and city. I've lived in Chicago and Illinois most of my life and know many gracious, caring, and good people here, nor do I appreciate your sentiments toward an entire city and state, it is completely unfair to stereotype several million people based on your experience with a few.
it's way more than a few people/places i have had bad experiences in. in fact, it's like no matter how far i get from the city, almost everyone i tried to say "hi" to has always given me a mean face. and that has been in practically every suburb i have been to; aurora, batavia, bartlett, naperville, glen ellyn, etc, even all the way out in sycamore and dekalb!!! heck, i encountered very many rude people and many very mean faces on the campus of northern illinois university, and only, maybe 1 or 2 nice students!!! in truth very few people ever even say "hi" to me on the streets, and it seems even in the "friendliest" areas like st charles, the nice people are few and rather far in between. numerous agencies for persons with disabilities give me and my parents nothing but heartache, arguments, refusal of proper services, many times, making us want to file a thousand lawsuits against them!!! in fact, in 2004, illinois was the 7th richest state in the nation, but was ranked 47th place for services for people with disabilities!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 AM

17 posts, read 119,764 times
Default Dealing with Autism

I have an autistic son and I was surprised at how much therapy and other help we received from the state of Indiana (where we live.) Part of the reason is that one of the senators here (Lugar I think) is a huge autism advocate. My son received tons of free therapy and attended a special preschool near Indianapolis (also free). He was helped so much he doesn't even seem like the same kid anymore. I don't know anything about what the state of Illinois offers, but I think a lof of it has to do with the locality and school district. We were in a large school district near Indianapolis with a lot of special needs kids and in a pretty affluent area, so they could afford to really treat these kids. If you're going to look near Chicago, my hunch would be to look in the areas where there are large, well run school districts and lots of families with young children - that is where they have the most experience dealing with austistic kids. My hunch would be to try (once again) Naperville and Shaumburg areas to see what they have available. If you strike out in Illinois, try Indiana. Fishers and Carmel (in the Indianapolis area) seem to have a lot of experience and treatments for autism available in the school districts.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM

326 posts, read 470,952 times
Moderator cut: quoting deleted comment

ha! ha! ha! ha! (lmbo) very hilarious post batman!!!

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 12-07-2007 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM

37 posts, read 195,800 times
If you can afford Wilmette, I understand they have excellent special ed resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs