Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 26,060 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be moving to Oak Park this May in the downtown Oak Park area near Ontario/Harlem. I currently reside in Lincoln Square and love the neighbhorhood. The issue is that my parents live in Western Suburbs near Bartlett and my brother lives in Forest Park. Although the Lincoln Square neighbhorhood is awesome, the commute and proximity to expressways is not. Traffic going down Western or Lawrence/Foster can be a nightmare.

Anyways, i choose Oak Park due to its downtown which seemed cool and similar to lincoln square and its close proximity to the city. It also has ease of getting in/out on the expressways (290/294) making it easier for my family to visit me and spend less time in traffic. Also Metra/Green Line makes it close to get to work in the loop area.

I am 30 and single and work in the looop area. The downtown oak park area seems cool but I have not spent any time there. It was voted as a top city for Rich & Single by Money Magazine and I dont know how true that is. I am not rich by any means, but now that i've commited to moving to Oak Park and within steps on downtown oak park, what is your take on the nightlife in Oak Park? Did I make the wrong choice?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I don't think moving to OP is ever bad, but I am biased. Moving to an unfamiliar area always has some risks, but I think once you are settled you will generally be happy with the services and the available resources. It is not Lincoln Square, but it quirky, and historic, and walkable downtown.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:34 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
What does your brother in Forest Park think about Oak Park?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 26,060 times
My brother likes Forest Park and Oak Park but he is elder and is married.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 AM

20 posts, read 53,924 times
I grew up in Oak Park and loved it. I never had problems with crime, the only thing I didn't like was the high property taxes.

It's a great town to live in if you work in the city, you can either drive into the city or take the train. There are plenty of restaurants, bookstores and cafes in downtown Oak Park. The library in Oak Park is fairly new and it's much bigger than the previous one.

The old historic homes and lovely architecture of Oak Park make it an unique place to live.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niketg23 View Post
My brother likes Forest Park and Oak Park but he is elder and is married.
lol, like what, late 30s? Just kidding.

I don't think you will regret the move. I made the same move from Lincoln Square about 7 years ago. Oak Park is great, but it is frankly more oriented to families. However, there is still a bit to do for anyone in any stage of life. Plus, as you note, Chicago is a 25 minute el ride away.

As far as nightlife, you'll probably find most of the Oak Park activity in Forest Park where your elder brother lives. Lots of bars (a few of them decent) along Madison St. What type of night life interests you? Clubs, sports bars, craft beers bars, dives, dancing? You won't find many "clubs in the area, but there are plenty of good sports and craft brew bars (Poor Phils, Chalk, even Beacon, Lake St. Kitchen and Piggyback have good beer lists).

Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
I agree that Forest Park has much more for the traditional nightlife (ie. bars/pubs) than Oak Park, but BigLake does mention some popular Oak Park places. There are also other things to do in Oak Park... plenty of restaurants (where you can drink as well), a decent movie theater, more bars/restaurants that have live music a few nights a week and the awesome Fitzgerald's is nearby just South of Oak Park. Open Door Theater for some occasional plays/music, and 16th St. theater in nearby Berwyn is excellent. True the cultural stuff does tend to skew older, which always surprises me. Also a few good/decent gyms/YMCA where young folks also go.

I heard a big, multi-story brewpub is going to open up in Oak Park just South of the Green line.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

I heard a big, multi-story brewpub is going to open up in Oak Park just South of the Green line.
Are you referring to Hamburger Mary's? If so, yes, they are putting in a restaurant and brewery (separate entities, but same building) on Oak Park Ave. about a half block south of the Green Line. Did not know it was multi-story though. They were initially considering a space near Marion St. on South Boulevard. I think it is slated to open in early 2015.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Are you referring to Hamburger Mary's? If so, yes, they are putting in a restaurant and brewery (separate entities, but same building) on Oak Park Ave. about a half block south of the Green Line. Did not know it was multi-story though. They were initially considering a space near Marion St. on South Boulevard. I think it is slated to open in early 2015.

I think so. I couldn't remember the name, but heard about the brewery opening on a Oak Park web bulletin board awhile back. It's going to take up a very large space. With Maya across the street, that sleepy end of Oak Park Avenue will become hopping at night...

http://oakpark.suntimes.com/news/bus...142013:article

Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I don't think most people in Oak Park want a more rowdy nightlife situation than what exists now. That's what Forest Park is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs