Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 45,084 times

Advertisements

Starting a new job in Norridge and considering the NW side.

Basically from what I've heard Edison Park and Norwood park seem like an extension of Park Ridge into Chicago?

Is the neighborhood good to walk around at night? Any parts of these neighborhoods more desirable than others?

Would like to be close to the train, too. How is around the Metra stops vs. around the Blue Line stops?

Also, I miss having bars within walking distance. I live in Highland Park now, and have to go all the way up to Highwood.

How are the bars/nightlife around? Any really good places you woud recommend? I've kind of outgrown the binge drinking phase but still like to have a good time every now and then.

Please let me know if you have any advice/experiences with any of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Edison Park has a touch of nightlife along Northwest Highway. It's pretty sedate and grown-up. Not a big party scene but there are a few nice clean pubs and solid restaurants. Norridge doesn't have much of a nightlife scene at all. About the only thing going on there is Edelweiss restaurant & bar, one of the better German joints in the city. Well, close enough to the city anyway; it's 20 feet from the Chicago border.

The good news is that the CTA Blue Line runs 24/7 and can scoot you to some pretty solid nightlife spots. So if you pick Norridge or something close to it along the Blue Line, you should have convenient access to nightlife.

So the way I see it, you have two choices: a decent but fairly sedate nightlife in Edison Park, or quick access to solid nightlife via the Blue Line if you live close to one of the Blue Line stations.

In either case, I wouldn't bother living near a Metra line since they're only useful for getting people from the suburbs and outer neighborhoods to downtown and don't really stop at many interesting places along the way. And since you aren't working downtown, I don't see that Metra would be particularly useful for you. For someone interested in access to nightlife, it's more important to be near CTA transit connections.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Oh wait, you asked about Norwood Park nightlife, not Norridge nightlife. Sorry. Anyway, Norwood Park's nightlife is pretty much non-existent. But again, nothing access to the Blue Line can't cure.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM

7 posts, read 45,084 times
Drove around there and walked around some in Edison Park. Nice little place it looks like.

Anyone ever been to some of the restaurants/bars there (Edison Park Inn, Emerald Isle, Nick's Pub, Moretti's, Curragh (sp?) ) and have anything to say about them?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 PM

308 posts, read 757,429 times
Of course. Been to them all.

Moretti's is more of a restaurant than a bar. However, on the weekends, the bar is pretty crowded and it's a nice little place. Good specials, good pizza, good food, pretty relaxed nice place.

The Emeral Isle and Nicks are geared more towards the younger crowds. Those are bars. 20 somethings looking to go out and drink. The Isle is a little bit of a nicer place and was just remodeled a little while back and I personally think Nick's is a little trashier but I've been to both many times so what's that say about me? Ha.

The Edison Park Inn is a decent place too. I personally like it but it's not nearly as popular especially with the younger crowds. But I like it because the music isn't cranked up incredibly loud, it's a little more laid back, and they have a huge bar so getting drinks usually isn't an issue.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM

111 posts, read 381,199 times
I lived in Edison Park for 5 years or so. All the bars you mentioned are decent, although the Curragh opened after I moved. I agree with the comparison above of the Isle and Nicks--although I've been to both numerous times as well, so I'm in the same boat... For what you are looking for, Edison Park would seem to fit your needs. There's also some good restaurants with nice bars there--foodwise, Zia's is excellant, Elliots is pretty good, and Nonno Pino is decent. I always liked Zia's bar--more of a grown up crowd than the Isle or Nicks. And, any night of the week, you have a good chance of running into the alderman propping up the bar in any of these establishments--nothing like access to your elected leaders!

As Drover said, not much in Norwood--I think most of the precincts there are dry.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 PM

12 posts, read 40,615 times
Default bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
Drove around there and walked around some in Edison Park. Nice little place it looks like.

Anyone ever been to some of the restaurants/bars there (Edison Park Inn, Emerald Isle, Nick's Pub, Moretti's, Curragh (sp?) ) and have anything to say about them?

If you're looking for places where you'd not going to get into a fight, and expect to be around adults having a few, maybe watching a game, and just having fun, they're all good bars. Curraugh is newer, but very nice inside, and a decent selection of beers. Moretti's has a nice beer garden, and has a good selection of decent food. Emerald Isle has musicians quite often.

Edison/Norwood has a decent nightlife, but its more for adults, not the college crowd/ex frat boys.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM

75 posts, read 224,495 times
Default living in edison park?

currently live in burbs, want to move back to city but with easy access to burbs for work so we're checking out Edison Park, b/c of its halfway-between location and easy metra access.

any thoughts on that area? we are a 40-ish couple w/o kids.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
I don't know if I've ever been there. But my first thought is that it is definitely a city worker neighborhood, and white city worker neighborhoods tend to be expensive. This is because white city workers are mostly pretty well paid, and because there are relatively few neighborhoods offering the decent schools and safe streets they want that are also in the city. So the price of housing tends to get bid up.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more comprehensive information.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Here is a little info from the the past in this forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...nightlife.html

This is more akin to the next door neighborhood, Edgebrook.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...edgebrook.html

I'm not 40 years old, so I don't know what a 40 year old wants out of life, or the neighborhood they live in. However, you indicated that you are DINKS, so I would guess that you want to be near SOME action. To be honest, the stretch of NW hwy is just ok, but doesn't offer enough excitement for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago