Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
OP has not responded since this was created...probably a troll...

At the end of the day, people can live where they want to live and can seek to live around who they want to live. Personally, all I look for is a safe, upscale area that is within a good school district and within my financial means. I appreciate diversity, but it is not my most important requirement. Safety and Education System are top for me whether it is a predominantly Black, predominantly White, or diverse area.

As a racial minority, I just want to know that if I move to an area where I am the minority, I can live peacefully as others would expect of me and not have to deal with threats from others such as "Ni**ers not welcome here" or cross burnings (which, yes, still happen unfortunately) just as Whites who prefer to live in communities where they are the minority do not want to deal with threats such as "Ho**ey what are you doing here" or "Go live somewhere else and leave us alone like you wanted before" (which again, still happens). I am fortunate to not have experienced either, but I know very close friends and family who have in both cases.
They were probably just trying to make a point... i'm sure their ip would match up with another user. I don't like to assume but they were probably the "us endangered white ppl really have it worse even though we control the vast majority of the global economy" type.

But I do agree that everybody should live where they want to, regardless of how outlandish it may sound to others. That works best for all parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Wanting to distance yourself from people because of their race or ethnicity is not a "preference." It is prejudice, pure and simple. I wish prejudiced people would just come out and voice their prejudice oepnly instead always hiding behind soft, sweet-sounding euphemisms like "preference."
is he wanting to distance himself or is he just wanting to be with people like himself? its a scientific fact we like and are more comfortable around people like us. that holds true whether your talking about race, color or heck even a music preference.

like i said, would you call an indian person looking for an indian community racist or an asian looking for an asian commuity because those questions get asked here everyday and nobody bats an eye.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
The OP never stated his race. If he\she is black are they racist for wanting to move to a white area??
But black people who seek to live in majority white areas usually have completely different motives. They know white-majority neighborhoods usually have better-funded schools, more shopping options, better access to public transit, etc. Their choice of neighborhoods doesn't turn on keeping a certain racial or ethnic group away from them.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM

424 posts, read 467,708 times
What if he has the same motives? Low crime, good schools and what not? He's obviously prejudiced assuming those things totally hinge on race. Some minority-majority areas have low crime, good schools and amenities and would probably have more if white were required to live in those areas, which even the most liberal won't. That's why its hypocritical to go after this guy unless you're white and live in a minority-majority area yourself. My guess is very few of those on him do. You made same decision.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
What if he has the same motives? Low crime, good schools and what not? He's obviously prejudiced assuming those things totally hinge on race. Some minority-majority areas have low crime, good schools and amenities and would probably have more if white were required to live in those areas, which even the most liberal won't. That's why its hypocritical to go after this guy unless you're white and live in a minority-majority area yourself. My guess is very few of those on him do. You made same decision.
If he had the same motives, he would have asked what communities had low crime, good schools and what not. But he didn't ask that. He asked what communities were mostly white. Please, let's stop denying the obvious.

And for the record, I do live in a majority minority area. The neighborhood I live in is about 1/3 black, 1/3 Latino, and 1/3 white.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Did you move there hoping it would gentrify? Be the next Andersonville? Look not saying he's right, just that before they make a grilled sandwich out of the guy they should look at themselves. We can learn from his prejudices.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Did you move there hoping it would gentrify? Be the next Andersonville? Look not saying he's right, just that before they make a grilled sandwich out of the guy they should look at themselves. We can learn from his prejudices.
No, I was born and raised here.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Then light 'em up!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
like it or not they do statistically speaking. thats not to say there aren't great neighborhoods majority african american with great parks, schools, professioinal residents, etc. some areas of south side of chicago hyde park, bronzeville in the past, etc were like this. statistically speaking however if you look at majority black neighborhhoods and majority white neighborhoods crime rates, park district and other programs, school performance white is going to be the place most people woudl not to live not because of race but because of all those factors

Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,285 times
Amazing how many people rushed to defend a racist troll post. Disgusting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs