Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburb is the best for me?
Schaumburg 5 29.41%
Naperville 9 52.94%
Aurora 3 17.65%
Lockport 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM

32 posts, read 65,780 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know that similar questions have been asked since time immemorial, but I had some individual specifics that I wanted to be addressed; hence, the new thread.

First of all, I'm a consultant who flies out to client locations every week. While I usually fly Southwest out of Midway, I can easily switch to O'Hare. What this means is that commute time to Chicago is not an important factor in my choice.

Secondly, I have kids who will start school soon. So, schooling is definitely a factor.

Thirdly, I love open spaces and greenery. My wife and I do not place much importance on nightlife (Yes, we're boring ), but would definitely love if decent restaurants and theaters were within easy driving distance.

Fourthly, we are of Indian extraction (the Asian kind) and would love if there were some kind of Indian-American community present. However, this is not that important a consideration.

I currently have a condo in Buena Park and am looking to sell and move to a house in the suburbs. I'm considering Schaumburg, Naperville, Aurora and Lockport (I have some friends there).

So, which suburb should it be? And yes, very importantly, my budget is $400k to $500k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,108,974 times
Naperville has a huge asian and indian population. Tons of asian and indian grocery stores too.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Naperville has a huge asian and indian population. Tons of asian and indian grocery stores too.
Well, that should save me a long drive to Devon

Old 11-10-2013, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,040 times
My husband and I are currently building in SW Naperville. There's actually a lot of Indian households in the area. Sounds like everything else on your list would fit in Naperville as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 AM

Default Naperville as compared to Schaumburg

Any comments on Naperville vs Schaumburg for me specifically, with my own set of requirements?
Can anyone give scores (on a max of 10) for these two suburbs (or any others) on the following parameters?

Ranked in order of decreasing importance:

1. Safety
2. Education
3. Nice 4 Bedroom house with lawn for $400k-$500k
4. Greenery and open spaces
5. Restaurants and movie theaters
6. Access to public transportation
7. Indian-American community
8. Low property taxes
9. Distance to the Loop

Also, please do vote on the poll. At this moment Naperville leads Schaumburg by a small margin.

Last edited by souryab; 11-11-2013 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Addition of a parameter

Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souryab View Post
Any comments on Naperville vs Schaumburg for me specifically, with my own set of requirements?
Can anyone give scores (on a max of 10) for these two suburbs (or any others) on the following parameters?

Ranked in order of decreasing importance:

1. Safety. Naperville 10 Schaumburg 9.5
2. Education. Naperville 8.5 Schaumburg 7
3. Nice 4 Bedroom house with lawn for $400k-$500k. Naperville 6 Schaumburg 8
4. Greenery and open spaces. Napervillle 8 Schaumburg 7
5. Restaurants and movie theaters. Naperville 7 Schaumburg 8
6. Access to public transportation. Naperville 8 Schaumburg 5
7. Indian-American community. Naperville 7 Schaumburg 6
8. Low property taxes. Naperville 4 Schaumburg 6
9. -Distance- travel time to the Loop Naperville 8 Schaumburg 6

Also, please do vote on the poll. At this moment Naperville leads Schaumburg by a small margin.
My ranks are above

Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,824,368 times
The most significant thing about Schaumburg is that it is a major regional retail draw, with Woodfield Mall, Ikea, and the surrounding shops. Naperville is no retail slouch either, but Schaumburg is one of the largest centers for retail in Chicagoland, and that keeps residential property taxes lower. There are also quite a few jobs and office buildings surrounding the Woodfield area.

However, Naperville is considered more "up market", and the housing prices are reflected in that. It also has slightly better schools and an older walkable core with a very nice, though a bit sterile, downtown area. But the majorit of Naperville is post-war suburban subdivisions, and many of them will be indistinguishable from the post-war suburban subdivisions you would find in Schaumburg. Though Naperville still has some newer subdivision (built within the last decade) because it sill has some room to expand, while Schaumburg is more landlocked and has fewer new homes.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM

872 posts, read 1,264,154 times
I think Schaumburg wins hands-down. Busse Woods (10+ miles of biking/jogging trails, woods and ponds), very strong Indian and Asian presence (people, restaurants, stores), loads of other restaurants as well, slightly more affordable property than Naperville + lesser commute...

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Default River walk

I have heard a lot about Naperville's downtown and river walk. Would any of you consider that an important factor in the Naperville vs Schaumburg debate?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Default Yes, especially for families and kids !

Quote:
Originally Posted by souryab View Post
I have heard a lot about Naperville's downtown and river walk. Would any of you consider that an important factor in the Naperville vs Schaumburg debate?
The reason I gave Naperville and "edge" even the the "green space and parks" is largely becuase of the way that Naperville does invest in recreational options for families -- Schaumburg is not as large physcially or in population but even factoring that it is still noticeable how much nicer the recreational options are that are under municipal control. The post above, that gives credit to Busse Woods, almost certainly has NO EXPERIENCE with the really nice features of not just Naperville's Riverwalk and Centennial Beach, to say nothing of additional features like links to the Praire Path, DuPage River Trail, Greene Valley Hill, Springbrook, Hammel Woods, Rock Run Greenway, Riverview Farmstead, Whalon Lake, Kline Creek Farm, McDowell Grove or nearby preserves like Danada and Blackwell that really ring the town with outdoorsy recreational opportunity...

Further, having known several successful folks of that trace their roots to India, the degree to which they would find those of similar background in Naperville is probably tops in the region, especially as so many of the folks do specifically choose Naperville becuase of superior schools.

Now Schaumburg is not a terrible choice but the fact is that despite a slight edge in affordability and slighty lower taxes the things that matter for many are just not as easy to find...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs