Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburb is the best for me?
Schaumburg 5 29.41%
Naperville 9 52.94%
Aurora 3 17.65%
Lockport 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM

32 posts, read 65,823 times

Advertisements

That was very detailed, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The reason I gave Naperville and "edge" even the the "green space and parks" is largely becuase of the way that Naperville does invest in recreational options for families -- Schaumburg is not as large physcially or in population but even factoring that it is still noticeable how much nicer the recreational options are that are under municipal control. The post above, that gives credit to Busse Woods, almost certainly has NO EXPERIENCE with the really nice features of not just Naperville's Riverwalk and Centennial Beach, to say nothing of additional features like links to the Praire Path, DuPage River Trail, Greene Valley Hill, Springbrook, Hammel Woods, Rock Run Greenway, Riverview Farmstead, Whalon Lake, Kline Creek Farm, McDowell Grove or nearby preserves like Danada and Blackwell that really ring the town with outdoorsy recreational opportunity...

Further, having known several successful folks of that trace their roots to India, the degree to which they would find those of similar background in Naperville is probably tops in the region, especially as so many of the folks do specifically choose Naperville becuase of superior schools.

Now Schaumburg is not a terrible choice but the fact is that despite a slight edge in affordability and slighty lower taxes the things that matter for many are just not as easy to find...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,853,134 times
Here's another way to think about it... If you can't afford Naperville, Schaumburg is not a terrible alternative (assuming you aren't looking for an older home in a walkable area). But there are also several other suburbs that you might also look in to in the general west to northwest direction.

Personally, I would pick Naperville over Schaumburg without even thinking about it if those were my only two choices, and specifically I would want to be in the walkable part of Naperville near the downtown and Metra station. Schaumburg is almost the epitome of "suburban sprawl" in Chicagoland. But it has a lot of amenities, decent housing, and pretty good schools.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
Chet as always nailed it.

Aside from what has already been stated, while Naperville's downtown and Riverwalk are nice, I don't think they should be a consideration in your ultimate decision. More importantly, I would weight your commute. If you are commuting to both airports, Naperville will give you an advantage, particularly when headed to Midway. If you stay on the east side of Naperville it will make your commute quite simple. Moving towards the west side of town will add considerable time to your commute and make it quite lengthy. The east side of Naperville, and even portions of Woodridge (Seven Bridges) or Bolingbrook (Fairways of Augusta & other subdivisions), that attend Naperville schools should be a consideration.

While Realtors cannot comment to who resides where, I can say that Naperville prides itself in being multi-cultural and diverse. Watch this short video from mayor Pradel Naperville's Growing Cultural Diversity - YouTube speaking to how Naperville is adapting to become even more culturally cognizant. Other things like the Special Events & Cultural Amenities grant exemplify awareness City of Naperville || Special Events and Cultural Amenities Fund

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,964,295 times
Skip Aurora and Lockport. Naperville would be good but its not that close to either O Hare of Midway. Schaumburg is even farther. Look also at Downers Grove it might be a few min. closer. Also there are a few Indian doctors in my family and they live in Westmont but its a nice subdivision that looks like Naperville. There are upscale parts of Westmont and a lot of Asians live there.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,288,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souryab View Post
Any comments on Naperville vs Schaumburg for me specifically, with my own set of requirements?
Can anyone give scores (on a max of 10) for these two suburbs (or any others) on the following parameters?

Ranked in order of decreasing importance:

1. Safety
2. Education
3. Nice 4 Bedroom house with lawn for $400k-$500k
4. Greenery and open spaces
5. Restaurants and movie theaters
6. Access to public transportation
7. Indian-American community
8. Low property taxes
9. Distance to the Loop

Also, please do vote on the poll. At this moment Naperville leads Schaumburg by a small margin.
From your choices-Naperville. Instead of Schaumburg, I would consider Lake County portion of Buffalo Grove. Stevenson HS is excellent and has a large Indian-American student population. Or Arlington Heights in the Hersey or prospect High School boundaries. Better schools, an actual downtown(in the case of AH), smaller in scale with a bit less traffic, very convenient to O'Hare, Metra service downtown and depending on careful location selection, good proximity to parks and forests.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM

32 posts, read 65,823 times
Well, definitely leaning towards Naperville at the moment. But will also give Schaumburg a look-see to uncover any possible hidden gems. Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
Aurora representing here. you can always look for a house that is "on the border"

for example, I have an Aurora address but the school district that my kids would eventually go to is Batavia. My sister is going to be closing on a house in Carol Stream but the school district that her kid will be going to is Wheaton. Does this make sense?

Granted, the address doesn't have the "sexy" zip code but there is value to be had in this scenario especially when it comes down to selling time.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs