Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM

5,525 posts, read 14,034,320 times

Advertisements

[quote=chicagohunter;32023997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Naperville and Oak Park are not on the same train line. Also, Naperville is arguably the most exciting place on the BNSF line anyway.
/quote]

There is a BNSF train stop in Berwyn - 5 to 10 minutes away which is what many people drive to their train station of choice anyway. If the OP has his heart set on living in Oak Park then this is definitely an option to consider if traffic becomes problematic but he would be pushing 60-75minutes end to end IMO going that route. I did it every day for several years though as do a lot of people so it is definitely doable assuming he can get to his place of employment from the train station in Naperville.
There's no good way to get from the Metra station in Naperville to the work place. No buses, and its a 1.5 mile walk/bike ride along a route that is not pedestrian/bicyclist friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM

896 posts, read 1,410,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
I completely agree with Lookout Kid. Living in Oak Park would make it a little easier to get to the city on weekends, but I think it would lack the ease that you seek-- and I'm not sure it would be any better than living in downtown Naperville (and may even be worse). And while there's no question that the commute from Oak Park to Naperville is better than city to Naperville, it still would not be my cup of tea. Unless this job offer is the best thing ever, I would do as Lookout Kid suggests.

I agree with this as the single scene is not necessary great for someone in there 20s. There are bars and Forest Park nearby, but I have a feeing that you would like the city better especially Lakeview/LP as it fits your age range. However, it is easy to get to the city as I was in a person in their 20s living in this area.

It was easily 10 minutes to Wicker Park/Bucktown/Six Corners area, 5-10 to the West Loop and maybe 20 mins to Lakeview. This was outside of rush hour. If you are strictly a night person with socializing, you might not be missing anything that much by living in Oak Park as you can get to these areas very easily for nightlife and you could easily get to Naperville too.

But if you want to socialize during the day, I can see how you feel like you are missing out especially if you like to be near the lake during the summer. That is truly the only time I felt like I was missing out. Mostly during the summer.

However, I wanted to give you a little tip so you would not be disappointed. You sound like me in 20s and could go to places by themselves and strike up fun conversations. I would not expect this many of the bars, lounges or clubs in the city as it is still very clicky, but just a younger more exciting crowd.

Get ready for people to stick with their own groups. The trendier the place the worse it is. If you already have an established group or roommate than this could work out.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:16 PM

247 posts, read 694,011 times
My husband used to do the commute from Oak Park to Diehl/88. It took him 35-40 minutes in the morning and most often 50 minutes in the evening. We lived near Lake and Harlem in OP. It was nice to hop on the Green line to go downtown; not nice trying to find parking close to our building after work (we had no dedicated parking). There is not a whole lot of nightlife in Oak Park, but the strip of bars in Forest Park is close.

Surprisingly, downtown Naperville has a much busier nightlife than I ever suspected. I went out a few months ago with a group of girlfriends, and as we were heading back to our cars at 10pm, the sidewalks outside were packed with people waiting to get into the bars. I felt absolutely ancient (I'm in my mid 30's). I think you would find plenty to do in Naperville, and you can always hop on Metra to the city if you get bored.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:23 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,800,567 times
To the OP,

By the sounds of it, you seem to be familiar with what's going on in Naperville, and others have lays out the commute, so I won't bother going there. Oak Park is a very family oriented community, but there are also a good amount of young professionals living here. There isn't really a bar scene here, so you'd more likely meet other young people around the apartment complex, at classes, the gym and activities, than you would going to bars at night (other than the strip in Forest Park)... But you never know (Bar Louie). Saying that, I think the main advantage considering your situation is the proximity of Oak Park to Chicago. I can get to the west loop in 20 minutes by car. The proximity really opens up realistic options for using the city on a weekly basis, as oppose to feeling like that haul you'd make only for special occasions, which can get old fast. Living in Forest Park could also be an option, though I feel like Oak Park has more going on generally, minus the bars. Best thing to do would be to visit Oak Park and get a feel for whether you think you'd be happy here.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 PM

2,505 posts, read 4,493,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
My husband used to do the commute from Oak Park to Diehl/88. It took him 35-40 minutes in the morning and most often 50 minutes in the evening. We lived near Lake and Harlem in OP.
This is the first posting with realistic commute times between OP and Naperville. I did OP to Lisle, Bolingbrook, and Naperville, so I know the deal. 30 minutes? Only after 9:30am and before 3:00pm.

Obviously living farther southwest in OP will shave a few minutes off your commute. The difference between living near Harlem and Madison versus Ridgeland and Division could be an extra 10 minutes or more.

The person who said you can get to the Berwyn train station from OP in 5-10 minutes is also not speaking reality... The only way that would eb possible woudld be if you lived very near Oak Park Ave and Roosevelt, and you could shoot straight down OP Ave to the station. Live anywhere else in OP, especially north of the Ike, and it will take you at least 15 minutes to get to the Berwyn train, likely more.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 AM

11,975 posts, read 32,000,361 times
The worst part of the commute to I-88 will be I-290 between Oak Park and the "Hillside Bottleneck". If you can live west of the bottleneck (where I-290 hits I-294 and I-88), you will have an easier commute. I think I would just suck it up and live near downtown Naperville if you don't want to find a different job in the Loop.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,040,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The worst part of the commute to I-88 will be I-290 between Oak Park and the "Hillside Bottleneck". If you can live west of the bottleneck (where I-290 hits I-294 and I-88), you will have an easier commute. I think I would just suck it up and live near downtown Naperville if you don't want to find a different job in the Loop.
Is it possible to be west of the bottleneck and still be in Oak Park? It doesn't look like it on google, but maybe there is something I don't know.

In general, my thoughts on commuting by car in Chicago is to figure out how long you think it should take and add about 30 minutes. That's how long it really takes.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 32,000,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Is it possible to be west of the bottleneck and still be in Oak Park? It doesn't look like it on google, but maybe there is something I don't know.
No, not by several miles. I wouldn't recommend commuting to this location in Naperville from Oak Park. I think it's a terrible plan.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 AM

4,153 posts, read 8,026,916 times
There are a lot of young adults living and working in the Diehl road type corridor in Naperville. It takes way longer than thirty minutes to drive from Naperville to Oak Park in rush hour. I do not know if you could even do it on an empty Sunday morning...that is when traffic is really light.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 14,034,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There are a lot of young adults living and working in the Diehl road type corridor in Naperville. It takes way longer than thirty minutes to drive from Naperville to Oak Park in rush hour. I do not know if you could even do it on an empty Sunday morning...that is when traffic is really light.
Without traffic, its easily doable in 30 minutes. Granted, you'll never be traffic free during normal commuting hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs