Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I just graduated with my masters and I'll start working downtown soon (starting October). I've lived in Rockford for nearly my entire life and the whole Chicago living thing seems really alien to me since I've only gone to the city for fun, and never really considered livign there. I'll use the train to get to work (I still need to figure out the whole train system) obviously since traffic can be a nightmare but I'll also need to keep my car around as my job requires driving to clients outside of Chicago.

I'm trying find a relatively safe area for a mid-20s male (South Asian, in case that matters) where I can get a 1 bedroom apartment for $1000-1500 w/ parking. I'm also pretty worried about what'll happen to my car since it's pretty nice/new and it's my baby (though I do realize there's always the risk of it being dented/scraped/etc). I don't really care for any bars, clubs, nightlife, etc. since I'll be a short train ride away from downtown and there's always happy hours after work on Friday.

I read many of the threads here and in the Chicago forums in trying to help me decide on where to stay but I'm still unsure of my options. From what I've read, it seems like Chicago neighborhoods aren't very car friendly as most of the apartments want an extra $150-200 for parking (often being street parking and/or inconveniently distant).

Oak Park seems like a good option and I've learned enough about Oak Park to stay away from Austin and to not go too far south of Lake St. The few 1 bedroom apartments available are nice, but they're pretty expensive and don't leave much left in my monthly budget. There's some apartments just south of Lake St. but I honestly don't know what those areas are like since they're right next to the train tracks.

Berwyn was another area I read good things about but... for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any 1 bed room apartments there on apartments.com.

I'm somewhat lost at this point, unless you guys have some other suggestions of Chicago neighborhoods or suburbs. Or if I have some misconceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM

369 posts, read 759,932 times
The farther out from Chicago you go the more car-friendly it is. How long of a train ride into the city are you looking for? That will help narrow it down.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frmas View Post
Hi.

I just graduated with my masters and I'll start working downtown soon (starting October). I've lived in Rockford for nearly my entire life and the whole Chicago living thing seems really alien to me since I've only gone to the city for fun, and never really considered livign there. I'll use the train to get to work (I still need to figure out the whole train system) obviously since traffic can be a nightmare but I'll also need to keep my car around as my job requires driving to clients outside of Chicago.

I'm trying find a relatively safe area for a mid-20s male (South Asian, in case that matters) where I can get a 1 bedroom apartment for $1000-1500 w/ parking. I'm also pretty worried about what'll happen to my car since it's pretty nice/new and it's my baby (though I do realize there's always the risk of it being dented/scraped/etc). I don't really care for any bars, clubs, nightlife, etc. since I'll be a short train ride away from downtown and there's always happy hours after work on Friday.

Oak Park seems like a good option and I've learned enough about Oak Park to stay away from Austin and to not go too far south of Lake St. The few 1 bedroom apartments available are nice, but they're pretty expensive and don't leave much left in my monthly budget. There's some apartments just south of Lake St. but I honestly don't know what those areas are like since they're right next to the train tracks.

Berwyn was another area I read good things about but... for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any 1 bed room apartments there on apartments.com.

I'm somewhat lost at this point, unless you guys have some other suggestions of Chicago neighborhoods or suburbs. Or if I have some misconceptions.
It's a decent statement to make about staying away from the Austin area, for sure. There's nothing wrong with Oak Park south of Lake Street other than you are then moving away from the downtown area of Oak Park.

As far as Berwyn not having any 1 bedroom apartments I am quite sure there are some one and two bedroom apartments in your price range with parking as well.

Check out zillow and trulia real estate sites as well as apartments.com

Congratulations on your new position downtown, sincerely and good luck with your apartment search as well.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
The farther out from Chicago you go the more car-friendly it is. How long of a train ride into the city are you looking for? That will help narrow it down.
I... honestly haven't thought about that. I am hoping for 30-60 minutes, but obviously, the less the better. There will be some mornings I'll need to go in really early and a longer train ride would mean I'd have to wake up earlier.

HomeIsWhere..., thanks for the wishes and tips on the other sites. I haven't done this, ever, so any help and advice is appreciated.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
There are many car friendly suburbs with walkable downtowns. Focus on the towns along the Metra rail lines, such as Evanston, Park Ridge, Des Plaines, Arlington Heights. There are many more along the western Metra lines as well.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 AM

369 posts, read 759,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frmas View Post
I... honestly haven't thought about that. I am hoping for 30-60 minutes, but obviously, the less the better. There will be some mornings I'll need to go in really early and a longer train ride would mean I'd have to wake up earlier.

HomeIsWhere..., thanks for the wishes and tips on the other sites. I haven't done this, ever, so any help and advice is appreciated.
I'd suggest Park Ridge, Glenview, Mt Prospect, Arlington Heights, Elmhurst, Lombard, La Grange, Palos Hills, Orland Park. Your money will go farthest in Mt Prospect and Lombard but any of these towns will have something in your price range and are good safe places to live. Arlington Heights and Orland Park are the longest commutes at a little under an hour. Park Ridge gives you the advantage of also being able to take the El instead of the Metra. The El takes longer to get downtown but is more convenient than Metra for getting to other parts of the city.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
I live in Oak Park, and disagree that you need to live North of Lake street. I have lived her for years and many of the most convenient apartments are in the South part of Oak Park. It is safe. I am a single woman coming all hours of the day/night.

I live on Harrison St. now which has a ton of apartments, and am 1 block from the Blue line. I pay $1000 per month, with an extra $40 for a parking space in a lot and I have a 1 bedroom with washer/dryer in my apartment. This is a good deal, and I looked for a few months until I found what I wanted. I used to live on Washington St. which also has a ton of apartment buildings and I used to walk to the Green line.

If you want indoor parking, that requires a modern building that is pricey and in my opinion, not worth it. Those are probably the expensive buildings on Lake st. you noticed. So if you must have indoor parking for your baby, I would check other suburbs further out. Or look really hard in Oak Park/Forest park.... maybe have a realtor... some buildings built in the 50's (not so attractive) have indoor parking. If you don't mind a less charming/smaller apartment, you might find the parking.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
I'd suggest Park Ridge, Glenview, Mt Prospect, Arlington Heights, Elmhurst, Lombard, La Grange, Palos Hills, Orland Park. Your money will go farthest in Mt Prospect and Lombard but any of these towns will have something in your price range and are good safe places to live. Arlington Heights and Orland Park are the longest commutes at a little under an hour. Park Ridge gives you the advantage of also being able to take the El instead of the Metra. The El takes longer to get downtown but is more convenient than Metra for getting to other parts of the city.
Some good suggestions but Palos, Orland and to a lesser degree, Mt P and Lombard really don't have much going on in their downtowns. Makes sense to direct OP to area where they can both walk to train for commuting and walk to grocer, coffee, restaurant, library, park etc.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Balanced!

Central Oak Park is mostly a safe place, even the southern most sections that border Berwyn are not any sort of crime ridden area. The majority of things that show up in the police report are minor property crimes.

Older apartments rarely have space for things like in-unit washer/dryer. If you do find a building that has more up-to-date units $1000/mo for a 1br is currently a fair price.

Indoor parking will always result in either a substantial upcharge or rather big trade-off for other things -- handful of building put up in height of "auto infatuation" have really really dated size / fixtures -- tiny little baths and kitchens are no longer worth having a big fancy garage for most people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I live in Oak Park, and disagree that you need to live North of Lake street. I have lived her for years and many of the most convenient apartments are in the South part of Oak Park. It is safe. I am a single woman coming all hours of the day/night.

I live on Harrison St. now which has a ton of apartments, and am 1 block from the Blue line. I pay $1000 per month, with an extra $40 for a parking space in a lot and I have a 1 bedroom with washer/dryer in my apartment. This is a good deal, and I looked for a few months until I found what I wanted. I used to live on Washington St. which also has a ton of apartment buildings and I used to walk to the Green line.

If you want indoor parking, that requires a modern building that is pricey and in my opinion, not worth it. Those are probably the expensive buildings on Lake st. you noticed. So if you must have indoor parking for your baby, I would check other suburbs further out. Or look really hard in Oak Park/Forest park.... maybe have a realtor... some buildings built in the 50's (not so attractive) have indoor parking. If you don't mind a less charming/smaller apartment, you might find the parking.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Definitely a lot more to work with than some of the assumptions I was going on.

cubssoxfan & AbbyJaneway, thanks for the suburbs list and the train tips. I'll start looking into those areas.

sfcambridge & chet everett, thanks for clarifying Oak Park for me. I learned about Oak Park through one of my best friends, who currently lives there but lives in the really nice part of town so... maybe she exaggerated the dangers. I'll definitely increase the range I'm looking at. As for parking, I'm fairly set on a parking garage as I am fairly adoring of my car. I had a really good job and stupidly decided to buy something really nice... before my employer imploded and I was stuck with it. I bought this upon myself so I guess I have a touch decision I suppose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs