Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM

10 posts, read 45,098 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I had a question for you guys regarding something I’ve noticed that keeps popping up on our house search. My fiancé and I are in the process of looking for our first home together (225K range) and started back in the spring. We’ve settled on Dupage County and the suburbs, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Lisle, Roselle, Darien, Westmont, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove and some parts of Naperville. These suburbs are somewhat of a mid-point between both families, (hers in Palos Hills/Wheaton, mine in Wauconda) and our jobs (Itasca and Downers Grove). We’re looking for a house with 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths that’s in good shape because we don’t have a large down-payment so we don’t have a lot of extra cash to spend on any kind of renovations up front.

We’ve visited a fair amount of houses already and made kind of a hierarchy of which suburbs we like the most over others. I know enough from reading this site which ones you all like the most (and I like them too) so that’s not my main concern here. My main concern is how often houses in Woodridge come up.

I’d say if we get 50 listings in a month, 20 of them are Woodridge houses and this concerns me. I’ve seen my share of Woodridge houses and don’t mind them for the most part (minus their tiny yards and parquet floors) and we currently rent in Lisle and like the area, but I just don’t understand why Woodridge comes up so often. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Is it the school system? The area? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Price point.

With a budget that tops out at $225k there are more options in Woodrige than any of the other towns you have listed, andmost of the options are pretty decent.

Downsides to Woodridge are lack of any real "town center" and no transit options to Loop but for where you work that is not a factor. Schools in Woodridge are generally performing on par with those in Lisle, a little less desirable than Napervlle or Downers Grove...

Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM

382 posts, read 824,836 times
Woodridge feeds into downers grove high schools, which are very high performing, particularly Downers Grove North. I grew up in Woodridge and really liked it. They have a great library and we often used the parks in the area. Plus, there is great highway access. We lived in an area with a clubhouse so it had a pool which was nice for families in the summer. If in Woodridge, I would stay north of 75th street for sure. I think it's a great little area for families and you are near several nice downtown areas like Naperville or Downers Grove.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM

That's what I've been trying to do is stay north of 75th. I guess the price point option makes sense for the amount of listings, I'm just worried about making the wrong decision for a long term purchase, but I suppose that comes with the territory as a first time home buyer!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default While you are still in the "shopping phase" of your search I recommend ...

...that you do some "pros & cons" type analysis of not just various homes or even the different neighborhoods / towns but also of the whole premise of buying now vs renting.

I have found that when buyers go through this effort it really helps to clarify what their goals are -- if you want a ready to move in home in an area with lower home values and are willing to accept some of the trade-offs then you at least know going into the deal what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydigger83 View Post
That's what I've been trying to do is stay north of 75th. I guess the price point option makes sense for the amount of listings, I'm just worried about making the wrong decision for a long term purchase, but I suppose that comes with the territory as a first time home buyer!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM

That's true and good advice. Thanks Chet.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydigger83 View Post
The area from 75th to 83rd near Lemont Rd isn't too bad either. Lots of shopping nearby if that's a plus. We're in your same range and quickly realized that we're going to have to be happy in places like Woodridge or Westmont even though they're not super excellent.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,844 times
Been in Woodridge over 10 years, formally lived and grew up in Chicago. I love it out here and have no real complaints, and trust me I'm picky. I do live north of 75th and I agree it is better. The only real "thug" activity you see are the young idiots in the apartments on Janes. Other than that, it's about as quiet as any middle class suburb could be.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM

179 posts, read 486,248 times
My son lived in Woodridge for a while prior to building his home and loved it. Great access to highways, parks, the city, shopping, and much more via I-355 and more. Fairly easy to get around via that location. The housing was more affordable than a bit north too. It's a great starting point for many younger, first-timers ...
Shout out if you need any referrals ... I work with many agents in that area ... Best of luck!!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess my worry for Woodridge is house appreciation and the school system. This is definitely a long term investment and I don't want it to be something I regret. Obviously the housing market is starting to rise a bit, but will houses in Woodrdige stay the same or rise some? Also, I've looked into the schools and it seems like the secondary schools aren't the best and I don't know if the town is doing anything to improve them. For those of you who live in the area, can you shed some light on these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs