Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 15,669 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are first time home buyers and we have a budget of $200,000 and we would like a single family home. We plan on having children soon and having great schools in the area would be ideal. We would prefer a diverse, close knit community and safe neighborhood that is within our price range. Which suburb is affordable and safe Bloomingdale & Bartlett vs. Naperville & Woodridge.

Side note: I work in Evanston, IL. and we can not afford to live on the north shore so any west or northwest suburb location near the expressway and within an hour of my work would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
All the suburbs you mentioned are nice but you will get the most for your money in Woodridge IMO. How many bedrooms? Does a downtown matter? How far from Chicago do you want to be?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Value vs cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
All the suburbs you mentioned are nice but you will get the most for your money in Woodridge IMO. How many bedrooms? Does a downtown matter? How far from Chicago do you want to be?
I tend to agree that the low prices of some towns is not worth the lower quality housing / schools and more challenging commute.

Woodridge is better value than the other towns listed even if it is not as low priced.

I would caution that commute to Evanston will suck from any of these towns -- have you thought about Niles, Morton Grove, Skokie...

Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM

At least 3 bedrooms. Downtown doesnt matter to us. We would like to be close to Chicago but for the space we want that doesnt seem possible with our price range.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks for your response! I thought about those locations but the homes are really old and small for the budget we have. I don't see myself being at this job forever either. The west suburb would be ideal for us and easy for family to travel to.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM

382 posts, read 824,988 times
Woodridge would be best in that budget. Stay North of 75th.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM

147 posts, read 229,020 times
In terms of neighbors, I like the crowd in Naperville moreso than in the other cities. They are more educated people and I would feel safer living in Naperville than elsewhere.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,181 times
I would NOT recommend Bartlett. I lived there for 3 years...the school district is U46 Elgin, not the greatest out there. Also, it is very land locked from any expressway. It would take us forever to get to any major expressway because of all the traffic lights. Bartlett does not have a whole lot to offer as far as shopping etc.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 PM

14 posts, read 16,776 times
Default About Bartlett

I live in Bartlett 6 years. It is super safe, but towns around us are not that great. Lots of parks, lots of families with kids, nice playgrounds. Like others said U46 is not that great, although elementary, middle schools can be OK. In terms of your budget Bartlett would be tough. Not impossible, but property taxes should scare you away. Like others said commuting to Evanston will be almost impossible from any of your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs