Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 17,706 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I start at RFU in August and so I've been scouring with google for information on the area surrounding the school. From what I have read, North Chicago is a rather unsafe area. Waukegan seems to be a relatively less commute, but according to posts in other CityData threads started by incoming RFU students, Waukegan is just as unsafe as North Chicago. My max budget for an apartment is around $1,000 per month, not including utilities. I would prefer to get a studio apartment to live by myself, but if the $1,000/mo rent budget can't handle it, I'm willing to live with a roommate. Ideally the neighborhood in which it is located would be no more than a 20 minute commute in the morning (around 8am), and no more than a 20 minute commute in the afternoon (around 4-5pm). I understand that traffic can be quite heavy in and around Chicago so I'm not sure that I trust the google maps estimates for driving directions from some of the apartments I've found on Craigslist. I also come from an area where I'm familiar with how snow can slow down commutes, so this is another reason for me to try to live a reasonably close distance away. In terms of amenities, all I need is a few things that are a relatively convenient drive (grocery store, gas station, etc.). I can use the campus gym for working out. The apartment doesn't have to be furnished because I plan on buying one of those cheap student desks at an office supply store and sleeping on an air mattress.

For example, I found a bedroom in a shared apartment that might be a good deal in a village called Grayslake. Furnished bedroom According to Google maps, it is approximately 13 miles from Rosalind Franklin and is about a 20 minute drive with no traffic. I am assuming that with the morning and afternoon traffic that this could end up being a 40-45 minute dive from Grayslake to Rosalind Franklin? This apt is $550/mo. Here is a closer one in a town called Lake Bluff, for $940/mo. It appears safe from a quick Google search, but I don't know about individual neighborhoods. Forest Pointe Apartments on the North Shore This one, for example, seems rather close to the border with North Chicago, even though it's only a 7 minute drive with no traffic to Rosalind Franklin, so I don't know how safe it would be. This apartment is also very close to Rosalind Franklin (5 minute drive with no traffic), and it is $1019/mo for example, but I am unsure how safe it is: 2nd floor 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment available in MAY

Other than what I've already mentioned, my main criteria for the apartment is that it be in a safe neighborhood. I am moving from a neighborhood near my undergrad institution in which there are frequent muggings and I would like to avoid that with this apartment if at all possible. I realize that these apartments will almost certainly gone by the time I move in July, but I imagine that similar listings in the same neighborhoods with comparable rents will be available. Also, I was wondering if anyone happened to know anything about the on-campus housing. I don't hear very good things about it. It also isn't near any amenities from what I can tell. Granted, I wouldn't have to commute every day, so maybe that evens out, but I've heard the apartments are about the same cost per month for a studio/1b ($1000-$1100/mo), and they don't include furniture or utilities either, as on campus apts often do. To be honest, I'm wondering if anyone can share their opinion on whether it is even safe for me to walk to the Rosalind Franklin parking lot if I have to stay till after sunset at the school for a few days per month (around exam periods). These Lake Bluff apts look reasonable but the concern for me then would not be living in my apartment, but being able to get to my car in the Rosalind Franklin parking lot without being accosted so I can get out of North Chicago ASAP every day. Thanks very much for any assistance you are able to offer.

Last edited by RFincom; 05-01-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 AM

11 posts, read 29,822 times
Grayslake is a safe town with a very active downtown on Center Street. There is Emil's Pizza Pub and The Vine and Ables that have food and a full bar. Also Bulldogs & Michael's, Dog & Suds and Tastee Freeze offer more food options. Grayslake also has 2 Metra Train lines give residents hourly service to Downtown. The North Central line also offers service to O'Hare but it is limited evening and no weekend service. The Fox Lake line offers a full schedule all through the week and weekend. Grayslake is home to CLC-College of Lake County and the University Center which offers Undergrad and Grad degrees through a consortium of Universities. As a student you would have access to the library and student lounges for your studies. And to the James Lumber Center which offers entertainment programming.

Lake Bluff is a safe town and is closer to RFU. There are also several local food and drink options. And Metra service to Chicago via the UP North Line.

Good luck on your search.
Schedule & Fare Finder
College of Lake County
University Center of Lake County Illinois - Welcome

Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillinois View Post
Grayslake is a safe town with a very active downtown on Center Street. There is Emil's Pizza Pub and The Vine and Ables that have food and a full bar. Also Bulldogs & Michael's, Dog & Suds and Tastee Freeze offer more food options. Grayslake also has 2 Metra Train lines give residents hourly service to Downtown. The North Central line also offers service to O'Hare but it is limited evening and no weekend service. The Fox Lake line offers a full schedule all through the week and weekend. Grayslake is home to CLC-College of Lake County and the University Center which offers Undergrad and Grad degrees through a consortium of Universities. As a student you would have access to the library and student lounges for your studies. And to the James Lumber Center which offers entertainment programming.

Lake Bluff is a safe town and is closer to RFU. There are also several local food and drink options. And Metra service to Chicago via the UP North Line.

Good luck on your search.
Schedule & Fare Finder
College of Lake County
University Center of Lake County Illinois - Welcome
Jpillinois,

Ty very much for replying. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. So it sounds like Grayslake is safe and has lots of amenities but as I said it appears to be about a 20 minute drive with no traffic. Do you think that commute would be considerably longer if I'm commuting at 8 in the morning and 4-5 in the afternoon?

I was a bit confused by when you said that I as a student would have access to library and student lounges for my studies. RFU students can use College of Lake County amenities? I know that RFU has their own study lounges, library and gym for students but they are located on the North Chicago campus.

Lastly, could you tell me what you think specifically of the locations of the three apartments that I mentioed aove (the one in Grayslake and the two in Lake Bluff)? I'm just trying to get an idea of which areas of these cities are safe, because I saw on another thread that while Gurney is considered safe, the part of it which borders Waukegan. Considering the fact that parts of Lake Bluff directly border North Chicago, I am wondering if I should have similar concerns.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM

Lake Bluff is safe and is actually a very sought after town. There is a neighboring unincorporated area called Knollwood that is a little more modest but still safe. Lake Bluff would be a shorter commute than Grayslake.

Rt 120 from Grayslake can be congested eastbound in the am and westbound in the pm. That would make your commute about 30-35 min. As a resident and/or student of any school you can use CLC and that might be convenient. But you may have better facilities at RFU. Grayslake also has a nice and new public Library near downtown.

Gurnee is a good town but it does border a seedy area of Waukegan and that area is deteriorating. I also recall seeing many RFU students at the Warren township library in Gurnee.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
I would look at the Lake Bluff apartments along Waukegan Rd. (Forest Pointe and others) before Grayslake. Depending on where you are in Grayslake, that could be a time consuming commute from North Chicago. There are definitely areas of North Chicago to avoid but I'm pretty sure the area around RF is fine. It's basically on the naval base. You'll want to avoid the northeast corner of the city.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
I would look at the Lake Bluff apartments along Waukegan Rd. (Forest Pointe and others) before Grayslake. Depending on where you are in Grayslake, that could be a time consuming commute from North Chicago. There are definitely areas of North Chicago to avoid but I'm pretty sure the area around RF is fine. It's basically on the naval base. You'll want to avoid the northeast corner of the city.
Thanks to both you and jp for your responses. I found some apartments on Waukegan rd in Lake Bluff

Lake Bluff Apartments | Forest Pointe | Apartments in Lake Bluff IL

Deer Valley Luxury Apartments - Lake Bluff, IL 60044 | Apartments for Rent

Are these the two you were talking about?

They both look reasonable and it looks like 1bd at each are running at about $1050-$1100. I know I said my budget was $1000 but that actually seems reasonable. I will probably end up at one of these but I called the school today and they also mentioned this option to me:

The Woodlands on Green Bay Road

I was wondering if you could tell me about the safety of this location? It is located on the same street as the school and is a 3 minute walk compared to a 6 minute drive for the two Lake Bluff apts. Assuming it is safe to walk on this part of Green Bay Road late at night (between the 3300 block and the 3500 block), this is another option that I can consider, because it would be more convenient and save a little bit on gas. I don't mind driving 6-7 minutes from Lake Bluff, however, and if I'm not going to be able to walk safely between the school and the Woodlands then I'd just as soon live in Lake Bluff.

Thanks so much.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I personally would not walk on any road at night for any reason. Use a sidewalk or drive if there isn't a bike trail. Generally speaking RUSH HOUR traffic in any city of size in America is 6-9am and 3-6 pm. It very often starts earlier and last longer during foul weather. The good news is you aren't going to do it with two millions others in downtown Chicago.

You can beat some odds in travel time if you know how the traffic moves between where you live and your destination. In other words, if the traffic from XYZ is heaviest going south, and your destination is north of it, then live South of the destination. When the hoard is moving south you are driving North; the reverse is true at night.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM

RFinc, The Woodlands are about as close to OnCampus housing as you can get for a University that doesn't offer housing. You will mot even need to go out to the main road. It looks like there is a sidewalk/bike path direct to RFU buildings from The Woodlands.

You will still need a car since there is no other retail or commercial services around. You are basically surrounded by the Great Lakes Naval Base and base housing. All in all this is a safe area especially since recruits are restricted to base and most of the housing is for married enlisted personnel or officers.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
The Woodlands on Green Bay Road would probably be your smartest bet. That part of North Chicago (anything south of Buckley Road aka Rte. 137) is going to be more like Lake Bluff & less like the actual town of North Chicago. It's extremely safe & you'll have nothing to worry about. You'll also be extremely close to campus. I used to make deliveries up that way all the time for a Lake Forest-based pizzeria and not once did we ever worry about our safety when delivery to RFU students in that particular area (Woodlands on Green Bay Road).

When you feel like getting out of the area, you'll be able to easily access neighboring North Shore towns and other notable towns to the west like Libertyville & shopping corridors in Vernon Hills, Gurnee, etc. The Highway 41 / 94 combo will quickly get you to Chicago, as will the Metra train in nearby Lake Bluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs