Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,391 times

Advertisements

I am moving up to the Chicago Area in the next month to take a job in Lake Forest. I am from the South and have never been to Chicago. I am 23 years old and am looking for an apartment in the $900 range (if possible). My question is which suburbs should I look into that would be no more than a 30 minute commute from Lake Forest. I want to be in an area that is more laid back and not have to deal with crime. I wanted to get some feedback about these suburbs: Arlington Heights, Des Plaines, Northbrook, Highland Park, Buffalo Grove, Shaumburg and Lake Forest? I want to get feel for how far I would be from Downer's Grove and what the traffic would be like going up I-294? Thanks for the feedback
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I would aim for Linertyville. If you can't find anything in your price range also look at Rondout. DesPlaines might be pushing the 30 minute commute, stuff on the eastern edge of Arlington Heights might be a little closer. Northbrook, Highland Park and Lake Forest are going to be pricey. Buffalo Grove and Schaumburg are probably too far.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,391 times
Thanks for the reply, I have some friends that live in Downers Grove so ideally I would want to be halfway between Lake Forest and Downers Grove with easy access to the interstate. Would it be a stretch to be 30 minutes from each destination?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Honestly it is rather silly to attempt to be "halfway" between work and friends unless these "friends" are likely to become "life partners" or similar. I mean I like Downers Grove and I like Libertyville but there is really no reason to want to be "halfway" between 'em as neither has such an abundance of nightlife that it would be a "magnet"... In fact even if "going out with friends on a regular basis" was part of the reason I would be moving there are LOTS of options in the whole region and the range is such that it would be very limiting to only head out to one town or another...

Lake Forest is kind of far from Chicago and because it mostly a very affluent area that caters to folks with a "family orientation" it is not the ideal place to work -- best case it going to be a very time consuming drive to get to/from their during rush hour. That is why I strongly recommend living someplace that minimize commute. Working and commuting in the region will suck up a tremendous amount of time during the work week. It is far easier to get together with friends in Downers Grove (or Chicago) on the weekends. In the rare case when you do want to do something with those friends after work it probably makes more sense to try to get into Chicago or perhaps something like a festival at a Ravina...

To give you some sense of how difficult it would be to get from Lake Forest to Downers Grove (or most places between...) it is helpful to understand the regions broad geography. I assume you know Lake Michigan is like an inland sea that anchors the area. A lessor know factor are the many rail lines that radiate out from Chicago. That "hub" has a dozen or more spokes with some heading north (like to Lake Forest) other west (like to Downers Grove) with others between to various points "northwest" or "west of northwest" or "north or northwest". Some lines "fork" like the spur out to Libertyville, and others run sort of step-like. The important details that you need to keep in mind is that some of the roadways were also shaped by the railways, and finally that there are very few "links" between the various suburbs on different "spokes" -- you end up taking lots of "long way around" to get from town to town unless they are on same spoke / spur / fork...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,422,608 times
The drive isn't that bad from the burbs surrounding Lake Forest to Downers Grove as long as it isn't rush hour. Matter of fact, it's usually gonna be a lot easier drive than driving to Chicago, because drives into the city can ALWAYS have traffic. You just need to get an I-Pass and deal with the tolls & you should be fine. The toll road moves pretty smoothly between Lake - Cook & DuPage counties at all times EXCEPT rush hour. From the suburbs surrounding Lake Forest down to Downers Grove would probably be just under an hour. Probably 45-50 minutes in very ideal conditions. For southern options maybe look into Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights, etc. Look into Vernon Hills, Mundelein & Libertyville. These towns are very close to Lake Forest (especially Libertyville & Vernon Hills).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly it is rather silly to attempt to be "halfway" between work and friends unless these "friends" are likely to become "life partners" or similar. I mean I like Downers Grove and I like Libertyville but there is really no reason to want to be "halfway" between 'em as neither has such an abundance of nightlife that it would be a "magnet"... In fact even if "going out with friends on a regular basis" was part of the reason I would be moving there are LOTS of options in the whole region and the range is such that it would be very limiting to only head out to one town or another...

Lake Forest is kind of far from Chicago and because it mostly a very affluent area that caters to folks with a "family orientation" it is not the ideal place to work -- best case it going to be a very time consuming drive to get to/from their during rush hour. That is why I strongly recommend living someplace that minimize commute. Working and commuting in the region will suck up a tremendous amount of time during the work week. It is far easier to get together with friends in Downers Grove (or Chicago) on the weekends. In the rare case when you do want to do something with those friends after work it probably makes more sense to try to get into Chicago or perhaps something like a festival at a Ravina...

To give you some sense of how difficult it would be to get from Lake Forest to Downers Grove (or most places between...) it is helpful to understand the regions broad geography. I assume you know Lake Michigan is like an inland sea that anchors the area. A lessor know factor are the many rail lines that radiate out from Chicago. That "hub" has a dozen or more spokes with some heading north (like to Lake Forest) other west (like to Downers Grove) with others between to various points "northwest" or "west of northwest" or "north or northwest". Some lines "fork" like the spur out to Libertyville, and others run sort of step-like. The important details that you need to keep in mind is that some of the roadways were also shaped by the railways, and finally that there are very few "links" between the various suburbs on different "spokes" -- you end up taking lots of "long way around" to get from town to town unless they are on same spoke / spur / fork...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,271,427 times
This may fit the half way in between scenario: Luxury Apartments for Rent in Northbrook, Chicago
Very wooded, very safe area. You are less than 30 minutes to work and about 30 minutes to Downers Grove in non-rush hour traffic. Maybe 45 in rush hour.

There are also some apartments off Lake Cook Rd and Milwaukee that are adjacent to the Des Plaines river trail. Not sure if it is Buffalo Grove or Riverwoods.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM

282 posts, read 438,711 times
Well, currently I live in Arlington Heights and like you I moved up here from Louisiana (as I can see in your in name). I think if you're trying to stay under $900 dollars and in a low crime area, you might want to try my city or places a little north. The only bad thing about living up here, and living in the northern suburbs, you will almost always be on surface streets instead of expressways. Riverwoods, Deerfield, and Wheeling are also nice and very accessible to I-294, but you will need an I-Pass if you will be going to Downers Grove. I know personally Arlington Heights to Lake Forest is about 25-35 minutes depending on where you live in AH. But, if you are ever leaving Lake Forest and trying to get out to your friends' home, it will take you every bit of 1:15. The poster that said that Buffalo Grove is too far is def off with their geography, as it is closer to Lake Forest than Arlington Heights. Bad thing about the north Cook County suburbs, there is no straight route that runs southwest to northeast except maybe I-294, but it is limited access. Also, check out Glenview as it is less than 30 minutes to your job, 30-45 to Chicago (without traffic), and probably 45 to Downers Grove.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM

^^ 294 to I-88 is a workable route. But you can avoid tolls by going east/west on Lake-Cook Rd or Palatine Rd to IL 53/290/355. Example: From Woodland Creek Apartments, 294 is about 5 minutes east. Il-53 is about 10 minutes west (in normal traffic)

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM

282 posts, read 438,711 times
You would still hit tolls on I-355 once you get past Lombard, unless you get off and take 53, but its too much of a hassle. I use Palatine Road if I am going to the North Shore, but its basically due east for me. To get to Downers Grove, its just too much to go through all those surface streets just to avoid tolls

Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
You would still hit tolls on I-355 once you get past Lombard, unless you get off and take 53, but its too much of a hassle. I use Palatine Road if I am going to the North Shore, but its basically due east for me. To get to Downers Grove, its just too much to go through all those surface streets just to avoid tolls
Depends on where you are. I'm off rte 83 and Palatine and it's faster to take Palatine to 53 than go 294
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs