Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,184 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,

We will moving to the Chicago area in a few months time. I will be working at Northbrook. I am looking to rent a 3 bedroom initially (couple of years) then buy. Can you please suggest some nice areas to stay - not very far and with good middle and high schools. I would prefer the rent to be below or around 2000 USD. But I may be able to spend a little more.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
I might try to raise my price point by 25% or so and aim for towns like Glenview or Buffalo Grove. I don't see a lot of rentals in Northbrook itself and some of the surrounding towns tend to have the rather large complexes that are not very quiet...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,184 times
Thanks Chet,

I would do that if necessary. I have a correction and a question. I will be working at Northfield and not Northbrook.

What will be a reasonable distance to travel to work and back each day. That way I could potentially balance the cost of the apartment and the travel time. This will be our first move to to a place where we have to drive in snowy conditions. Are Deerfield and Highland park out of the range? and how is the Arlington Heights area?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Northfield is actually the next town due east of Northbrook so the suggestions still work.

Deerfield is due north of Northfield and Northbrook, it is mostly a very pleasant town to live in. Highland Park is due east of Deefield and is technically a "North Shore" commmunity as its eastern border is Lake Michigan, the are a very small number of rentals in Highland Park and anything in your price range is almost certainly rather small / un-updated but it likely is served by excellent schools and could be a very introduction to some of the offerings the region has.

Arlignton Heights covers a larger geographic area than the other towns and portions of it with large apartment complexes exist near the border with Palatine that may be a bit less desirable but still worth considering as drive via surface streets is not bad at all.

I would not worry too much about "snowy conditions" as the routes between Northfield and the other towns are all rather well maintained -- worst case there may be one or two rush hour winter weather situations that do bring traffic to a crawl but short of an actual blizzard everything is plowed and salted within a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs