Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Just wondering where you would rank the following North Shore Suburbs on prestige? prestige is subjective but I just come across a wide range of opinions when I ask about certain places on the North Shore. Hers is basically what I have been told:

1. Kenilworth
2. Winnetka
3. Highland Park
4. Lake Forest
5. Glencoe
6. Wilmette
7. Evanston
8. Lake Bluff

Are these all the suburbs that are considered "North Shore burbs"? I hear people refer to Northbrook, Skokie, Lincolnwood, glenview, morton grove, gurnee, deerfield, highwood, beach park, north chicago, park city, waukegan, zion and winthrop harbor as all north shore suburbs but are they? I have been told the north shore doesn't start until wilmette and ends at lake forest. Also do you think it's any coincidence that Milwaukee's north shore is home to the area wealthiest suburbs as well and also that's where Milwaukee's Jewish population lives as well. Does the same as apply as in Milwaukee, North Shore = old money, western suburbs = new money IE: Barrington = New money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I am of the mind that "if it don't touch the lake then it ain't NorthShore" so that would rule out the inland towns. Similarly the greater the portions of the NorthShore town is actually near the lake the "more prestige" it tends to have ...

As to "old money" the fact is that there is not nearly as much "generational wealth" anywhere in this country with the HUGE explosion of folks that have benefited from "techno-fortunes" and curiously many of the folks that have seen their wealth decline are exactly the kinds of people that are on the "wrong end" of innovation -- publishers of newspapers and books are facing bankruptcy, many of the kinds of 'monopolistic wealth' has been destroyed as deregulation wiped out the advantages that families that built their wealth on energy or old line communications / shipping / railroads...

When it comes to "west vs north" there are certainly arguments to be made that the shear numbers of higher priced homes and such have certainly narrowed over the years -- once it was rare for homes not on Lake Michigan itself to command 7-8 figure price tags, but with more awareness of both the importance of good access to the Loop and the airports as well as shopping and entertainment it has spread wealth over a far larger area.

The region has never been like NY, there is much different mix of races / ethnicities that have both a long history of prudent use of their resources as well as those that have gained wealth quickly. There is no lock on advancement that has ever kept out (or granted special access...) to anyone's success.

Last edited by chet everett; 01-01-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
In terms of prestige Winnetka and Lake Forest are by far the most well-known for being wealthy. Kenilworth is known locally as being the most exclusive. Highland Park's reputation has developed due to professional athletes like Michael Jordan and Tony Kukoc who have chosen to make their homes there. Above all the North Shore as a region is most recognizable.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Can I play Devil's advocate? North Chicago, Zion, and Waukegan are all right on the lake and north of the city. Technically you could call them North Shore, but few ever do. In fact, based on the value of boats in the harbor, Waukegan beats them all.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Nah, boats depreciate faster than a tract house!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Just wondering where you would rank the following North Shore Suburbs on prestige? prestige is subjective but I just come across a wide range of opinions when I ask about certain places on the North Shore. Hers is basically what I have been told:

1. Kenilworth
2. Winnetka
3. Highland Park
4. Lake Forest
5. Glencoe
6. Wilmette
7. Evanston
8. Lake Bluff

Are these all the suburbs that are considered "North Shore burbs"? I hear people refer to Northbrook, Skokie, Lincolnwood, glenview, morton grove, gurnee, deerfield, highwood, beach park, north chicago, park city, waukegan, zion and winthrop harbor as all north shore suburbs but are they? I have been told the north shore doesn't start until wilmette and ends at lake forest. Also do you think it's any coincidence that Milwaukee's north shore is home to the area wealthiest suburbs as well and also that's where Milwaukee's Jewish population lives as well. Does the same as apply as in Milwaukee, North Shore = old money, western suburbs = new money IE: Barrington = New money?
Flip Glencoe and Wilmette and the list would be mine too.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Can I play Devil's advocate? North Chicago, Zion, and Waukegan are all right on the lake and north of the city. Technically you could call them North Shore, but few ever do. In fact, based on the value of boats in the harbor, Waukegan beats them all.
The historic definition of the North Shore of Chicago is limited to the communities along the lakefront and on the Metra Union Pacific North Line with Evanston on the southern end to Lake Bluff on the northern end.

Contemporary definitions of the North Shore of Chicago typically include adjacent inland communities like Skokie, Golf, Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Deerfield, Bannockburn, and Mettawa. These communities often share school districts with the lakefront communities and have a similar level of affluence.

Highwood is the only North Shore community with a median income below the national median. Communities like Zion, North Chicago, Libertyville, etc. have never been regarded as part of the North Shore.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The historic definition of the North Shore of Chicago is limited to the communities along the lakefront and on the Metra Union Pacific North Line with Evanston on the southern end to Lake Bluff on the northern end.

Contemporary definitions of the North Shore of Chicago typically include adjacent inland communities like Skokie, Golf, Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Deerfield, Bannockburn, and Mettawa. These communities often share school districts with the lakefront communities and have a similar level of affluence.

Highwood is the only North Shore community with a median income below the national median. Communities like Zion, North Chicago, Libertyville, etc. have never been regarded as part of the North Shore.
Unless you are trying to sell magazines

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Flip Glencoe and Wilmette and the list would be mine too.
I think Lake Forest ranks above Highland Park. Much more old money, horses, live-in maids.

I wouldn't flip Glencoe and Wilmette. I live in Wilmette and it's delightful but it's not quite Glencoe in terms of housing stock, affluence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs