Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,791,380 times

Advertisements

I agree that there are myths about places that need to be dispelled from time to time, as it's all too easy for some people to get a few peices of data and start making assumptions about a place. Data always needs to be contextualised for it to be truly representational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,586,764 times
What is the differnce between "contextualize" and "making excuses"?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM

25 posts, read 58,225 times
Chet,

I don't think anyone is "making excuses" for Berwyn. The main point of my earlier response to prinsessa was to dispell one myth: That Oak Park and Berwyn are in the same real estate price tier. They're not apples to apples, but some people post about them like they are.

Oak Park's a nice town, good schools, lots of cafes, but there's one thing it isn't, and that's cheap. People looking for a SFH at $200,000-level are not all willing to settle for a condo. That's why there's so much interest in Berwyn. The OP's that are asking about Berwyn aren't in the market for Oak Park.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,494,883 times
Berwyn has the best majority-minority and majority-low income middle and elementary schools in the State of Illinois in terms of ISAT scores, by far. Not sure how many middle and upper middle class people consider this a strong selling point but it's true. Insofar as excuses go, many of them feature scores that keep up with the excellent schools in Oak Park, and other places with strong schools, so they're really not making any.

I agree many are getting a bit tired of hearing the low performance of the high school explained away by administrators and school board members as, in a nutshell, "hey, look at what we have to work with here." If the elementary and middle schools are doing it, they should be able to also. I only hope more and more people start demanding accountability.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,791,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
What is the differnce between "contextualize" and "making excuses"?
You should buy a dictionary.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,792,214 times
Berwyn will look like Cicero in 15 years, once the rest of the white folk pass on or leave.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM

172 posts, read 439,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityToBurbs75 View Post
Chet,

I don't think anyone is "making excuses" for Berwyn. The main point of my earlier response to prinsessa was to dispell one myth: That Oak Park and Berwyn are in the same real estate price tier. They're not apples to apples, but some people post about them like they are.

Oak Park's a nice town, good schools, lots of cafes, but there's one thing it isn't, and that's cheap. People looking for a SFH at $200,000-level are not all willing to settle for a condo. That's why there's so much interest in Berwyn. The OP's that are asking about Berwyn aren't in the market for Oak Park.
I don't think Oak Park and Berwyn are in the same real estate price tier. There are quite a few very expensive houses in Oak Park but there are also quite a few reasonable houses. In my experience the bungalows in Oak Park and Berwyn weren't much different in price. This was a few years ago so prices in Berwyn may have dropped. When I was looking for a house, people kept telling me that I should look at Berwyn and then send my kids to private school for High School. The taxes for comparable houses in Oak Park were only $2000-3000 more than Berwyn. Didn't really seem worth it to pay more for private school. Plus we don't really know the future of Berwyn. Oak Park has always been a desirable suburb. If my kids were much younger, I would probably take my chances with Berwyn. I just didn't want to take that chance with a High School age child. And I know Condo living isn't for many people.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,878,112 times
I would not move to Berwyn. There are better suburbs for the money.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,093,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Really? Such as?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,093,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Really? Such as?

Berwyn seems REALLY CHEAP to me for a town that isn't dangerous and has so many urban amenities in town or nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs