Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 AM

283 posts, read 449,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Elmwood Park is largely becoming a suburb with a significant portion of its residents from cultures where "machismo" is a big part of the culture...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
And which residents would that be?
Mexicans........

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear which residents you mean by suggesting certain new residents moving in have "machoism" as a part of their "culture"... the suggestion that Elmwood Park is an area that would be less welcoming to a gay couple than "nicer suburbs" (which ever those suburbs may be).
Mexicans and "Old School" Italians. Possibly Polish, but Poles are not latin language speakers (minus lol catholicism rites)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,765,301 times
Quote:
There are a lot more choices that one could say are even more "stupid" depending on what the OP is looking for. Distance is always a factor, but there are a lot of other considerations that go into choosing where to live, such as quality of life.

I'm still waiting to hear which residents you mean by suggesting certain new residents moving in have "machoism" as a part of their "culture"... the suggestion that Elmwood Park is an area that would be less welcoming to a gay couple than "nicer suburbs" (which ever those suburbs may be).
He obviously means Latino, which probably means Mexican or Central American in the US.

These cultures usually do have a problem with gays, because Hispanic culture is generally close minded outside of certain countries in South America (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay).

Ever watch Univision? Notice how the majority of their humor is centered around men in drag acting like queens, it's how the culture deals with it, they aren't ready to accept it normally.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,494,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
He obviously means Latino, which probably means Mexican or Central American in the US.

These cultures usually do have a problem with gays, because Hispanic culture is generally close minded outside of certain countries in South America (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay).

Ever watch Univision? Notice how the majority of their humor is centered around men in drag acting like queens, it's how the culture deals with it, they aren't ready to accept it normally.
Interesting then that Berwyn, which has quite a large Mexican population, has the fourth largest LGBT population in the state behind Oak Park, Evanston and Chicago. Since this sweeping stereotype must be true I'm downright perplexed

Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,791,380 times
I'm sure we can find large groups of people from ALL ethnic cultures that are less than welcoming to, and accepting of, non heterosexuals. I agree that these are "sweeping stereotypes.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,093,026 times
A culture of machismo? There are definitely hot Latinas that would completely agree with Chet's sweeping generalization about Mexican men. And God bless them, haha.

Last edited by urza216; 11-17-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 13,169,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Interesting then that Berwyn, which has quite a large Mexican population, has the fourth largest LGBT population in the state behind Oak Park, Evanston and Chicago. Since this sweeping stereotype must be true I'm downright perplexed
THe LGBT population, I am guessing is an extension of the stereotypically progressive Oak Park culture. Berwyns more affordable, and the Oak Park subculture is expanding there.

There is also a growing middle class hispanic population in Berwyn in the nicer areas which is probably more aware of diversity. However, the working class population of Berwyn, may simply be a separate

Although after living in Oak Park for two years before I moved out to California, I will say for sure that there definitely seemed to be more integration and blending of the more old school Chicago culture of Berwyn and the more "progressive" Oak Park (which would be similar to Evanston and the north side of the city), than there is between Oak Park and Elmwood Park.

Elmwood Park just felt more staunchly working class Catholic, where older Italian residents have increasing numbers of Polish and Mexican neighbors. (hey some pretty tasty potlucks at local churches I'm sure - I always thought of a fusion of spaghetti-tacos-pierogis).

Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,791,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
A culture of machismo? There are definitely hot Latinas that would completely agree with Chet's sweeping generalization about Mexican men. And God bless them, haha.
Did you actually ask these "hot latinas"? And did they ever meet up with Chet to discuss his beliefs regarding sweeping generalizations of their race?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,093,026 times
Quote:
Did you actually ask these "hot latinas"? And did they ever meet up with Chet to discuss his beliefs regarding sweeping generalizations of their race?
As a matter of fact, I just had coffee with a Mexican girl a few days ago who says she never dates Mexican men, ever. It's not uncommon.

I rarely agree with Chet but he rarely gets me riled up either. And I've been riled up many times before by the stuff I read on here..

One of my best friends is Mexican and we go at it all the time about certain gender issues though. He isnt homophobic but my friend is hardly a shining example of Chicago Heights or Mexican American culture. He takes a lot of pride in being different than other people.

Mexican American women have evolved quicker than Mexican American men. And some prefer white guys who want them them to get a job and contribute..

I used to work with a Mexican man that told me he has only been in America since he was 18 years old. He made less than 9 bucks an hour and he was married to a housewife. Umm.. Yeah. He also supposedly cheated on her when another co-worker of mine supposedly blew him in the janitorial closet (she told me that he hopped on top of the bucket, pulled down his pants and said "suck my ****" but she didnt actually do it). My aquaintence makes more now since he quit and is a prep cook at a resturant in the Heights. Well, technically he just stopped showing up for work and got fired. But he essentially quit.

The bottom line is that they're definitely is a culture of machismo among Mexican men. I have been to Mexican family gatherings and listened to men talk about strip clubs in front of the women like it's as casual as what they had for lunch. This is perhaps a reality that Mexican men in America should address if they want to keep thier women.

Last edited by urza216; 11-18-2012 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,494,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I always thought of a fusion of spaghetti-tacos-pierogis).
I think you may actually be on to something with this. That does sound pretty good!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM

217 posts, read 583,082 times
Quote:
I've talked to many hot latinas in the past few days and I will tell you that they could not stop talking about some guy named Chet. They went on and on about how sexy he is. These hot latinas also used Chet to narrow down the suburb they wish to settle down in. The only down side the hot latinas spoke of Chet was when they talked about how well a school was doing in a neighborhood one was considering. I have a feeling that Chet was steering these hot latinas to Clarendon Hills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs