Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

The shear distance the OP needs to travel would make it stupid to choose Oak Park or Evanston.

Affluent, educated families in any nicer suburb are VERY LIKELY to already have friends / family that are ***** so it is not a big deal if neighbors are too.

Even if OP has no kids (and I does not sound like they do...) it is entirely reasonable for them fit right into a nicer suburb.

It is not "fear" that causes to recommend against towns with a high percentage of traditionally homophobic types -- it is the history of such people actively opposing things like gay marriage initiatives and other "progressive agenda" items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I wouldn't want to drive from Evanston to Orland Square mall...

And I wish people would stop with the "Oak Park and Evanston are the only suburbs for gay people" crap.

A friendly gay couple, especially if they have kids, will be embraced (not just tolerated) in Elmhurst, Lagrange, and a host of other suburbs on or near the I294 corridor.

I wouldn't look at Elmwood Park, but not because I'm afraid of Hispanics. I just don't like the housing stock, and it's not close to either mall you listed. But if that location is acceptable, I would include Berwyn over Elmwood Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^What did you say that got blocked out??

Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:

And I wish people would stop with the "Oak Park and Evanston are the only suburbs for gay people" crap.

A friendly gay couple, especially if they have kids, will be embraced (not just tolerated) in Elmhurst, Lagrange, and a host of other suburbs on or near the I294 corridor.

I wouldn't look at Elmwood Park, but not because I'm afraid of Hispanics. I just don't like the housing stock, and it's not close to either mall you listed. But if that location is acceptable, I would include Berwyn over Elmwood Park.
I never said those were the only 2 places for gap people, there are plenty of place where gay couple can live while being accepted. Oak Park has the largest gay population within the Chicagoland area outside of boystown, and it's a very inclusive place to gays and to a diverse group of people, which is why it's been a popular place for gays to look at. It may or may not be the right place for a gay couple depending on what they want, but there is a difference between a place diversity is celebrated, where it is accepted by some, and where it's tolerated. I merely suggested that the OP be aware of the differences, which he or she may very well be aware of.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Ah, we're here werer **** get used to it...

... q u e e r ...

What is the site using nanny filter approved by the Southern Baptist Synod?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The shear distance the OP needs to travel would make it stupid to choose Oak Park or Evanston.

Affluent, educated families in any nicer suburb are VERY LIKELY to already have friends / family that are ***** so it is not a big deal if neighbors are too.

Even if OP has no kids (and I does not sound like they do...) it is entirely reasonable for them fit right into a nicer suburb.

It is not "fear" that causes to recommend against towns with a high percentage of traditionally homophobic types -- it is the history of such people actively opposing things like gay marriage initiatives and other "progressive agenda" items.
There are a lot more choices that one could say are even more "stupid" depending on what the OP is looking for. Distance is always a factor, but there are a lot of other considerations that go into choosing where to live, such as quality of life.

I'm still waiting to hear which residents you mean by suggesting certain new residents moving in have "machoism" as a part of their "culture"... the suggestion that Elmwood Park is an area that would be less welcoming to a gay couple than "nicer suburbs" (which ever those suburbs may be).

Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:

Like Homeood... Absolutely. I know this is a hard pill for people on this forum to swallow. But many south sububanites take pride in our diversity.

However, Homewood is quite a bit a ways away from Woodfield. It's just as close to Orland Square as Evanstan is to Woodfield though! Prabobly closer, I think.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM

221 posts, read 358,027 times
I think the Gays prefer the city over the burbs, but if you have to live in the suburbs check out northwest
suburbs.
Gay Friendly Suburbs (Chicago, Waukegan, Evanston: cul-de-sac ...

Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM

^Yes, "gays" are a very special subsection of humans whose desires are exactly that easy to pinpoint.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Default You have to include "the"... makes a world of difference

Ever notice how when you hear (or read) two phrases that are identical except for "the" percerieved tone of the author / speaker is radically different:

"Oh dear, poor Harry, I heard he has cancer, really hope he pulls through OK"

"Oh dear, poor Harry, I heard he has the cancer, really hope he pulls through OK"

"Maybe you should check out Lincoln Square, nice bakeries, bigger homes, nice balance of locally owned stores, familes, pet lovers, gays, all types."

"Maybe you should check out Lincoln Square, nice bakeries, bigger homes, nice balance of locally owned stores, familes, pet lovers, the gays, all types.

"Magic Johnson quit playing basketball in 1991 after he announced he had the AIDS."

"Magic Johnson quit playing basketball in 1991 after he announced he had AIDS."

Creepy, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Yes, "gays" are a very special subsection of humans whose desires are exactly that easy to pinpoint.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM

^True enough. What rubs me the wrong way from the post above even more is that this particular gay guy already told us what he was looking for. If his question had asked about the highest concentrations of gay couples in the metro I wuold've kept my mouth shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs