Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 37,624 times

Advertisements

I received a $50 parking ticket yesterday afternoon for parking at the pay by day lot on the north side of the Rt. 59 station. I paid for a space using the paybyphone.com site, unfortunately I paid for the wrong space. I was parked in space #91 and paid for #90.
To contest my ticket, I would need to fill out a form with the Naperville Police Dept. and schedule a court date. I know that there is a risk of not winning this one and paying court fees on top of my ticket. But I have a detailed receipt from paybyphone listing, showing the exact lot, stall, time and date that I made my payments.

Can someone tell me if anyone has had any luck with these things? I am aware that if do go to court that I will be also spending time out of my day, etc. But I'm ok with that and I have time, just don't want to fork up $50 if I didn't have to.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipchikki View Post
I received a $50 parking ticket yesterday afternoon for parking at the pay by day lot on the north side of the Rt. 59 station. I paid for a space using the paybyphone.com site, unfortunately I paid for the wrong space. I was parked in space #91 and paid for #90.
To contest my ticket, I would need to fill out a form with the Naperville Police Dept. and schedule a court date. I know that there is a risk of not winning this one and paying court fees on top of my ticket. But I have a detailed receipt from paybyphone listing, showing the exact lot, stall, time and date that I made my payments.

Can someone tell me if anyone has had any luck with these things? I am aware that if do go to court that I will be also spending time out of my day, etc. But I'm ok with that and I have time, just don't want to fork up $50 if I didn't have to.

Thanks!
Ooooo...that stinks. I hate when stuff like that happens.

If you have all of the documentation to prove your case then I say go for it. I would do it to avoid 50 bucks....and you may end up moving through there pretty quickly and not wasting a whole day.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Just an additional note.....somebody else probably paid for spot 90 also since it was "empty" so there should be record of two people paying for the same spot at the same time, right?

Last edited by whakru; 08-23-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: added note

Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Happened to me once in a different lot. Fine was $5 so I paid it. $50 might be worth fighting.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 AM

28 posts, read 96,655 times
I say fight it. After all, you did pay for a spot and human errors do happen.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If you truly do have documentation that clearly shows you that you a paid for a spot and just parked in the adjacent spot you probably should make the filing. I thought that you have to enter your license plate number on the phone app, sorta surprised the parking enforcement person would not have seen your car a space over and just let it slide unless maybe the whole lot was jammed up or something...

Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I filed for a court date, just waiting to hear back from the Naperville Police.

I am just hoping that they won't try to get me on technicalities. (I.E. "well you paid for a spot, yes. But you technically paid for spot #90. Pay Up!")

And if they do screw me over that way, I hope those court fees on top of the $50 aren't ridiculously expensive (anyone have any clue as to how much it is??)

Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,718 times
Hi flipchikki - I just did the exact same thing, in the same lot. Have you had your court date yet?? Thanks!!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I just contested a ticket in chicago and it was dismissed. No court date was necessary you just had to provide documentation or a reason. Its worth it because you could win it ...it could go either way.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM

@MMaura- I finally just got my court date for the Oct. 29th. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm bringing all paperwork (plus my 20 month old toddler for sympathy votes! lol.. hope that doesn't backfire on me!)

@ToriaT - I'm definitely fighting it now, I've gotten this far, why not. I was told I needed a court date though. :/

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM

UPDATE: I had my courtdate this morning and had my fine reduced to $25 from $50. Explanation was that the letter of the law says I paid for a spot, albeit the wrong one, but had my fine reduced because it was an honest mistake.

Not sure if I'd say it was worth fighting it, not only are you hassled by all the paperwork and time taking off to sit and wait at court, but you are also taking the chance that they wouldn't forgive your ticket and get charged a total of $180 for your ticket AND the court fees.

So I'm counting my blessings that it was reduced and not charged $180. Still stinks though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs