Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 14,065 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Chicago. There are about 1.5~2 mile from potential rented apartment to train station. I need ride train everyday to downtown Chicago everyday. Even though I am suggested to walk to the train station, I still hope to find a better option other than walking. Is it possible to find a parking lot near the station from a private house? I like to pay for that.
Also I want to get some suggestion which area is better to live when considering kids education (middle school and high school), Wilmette, Glenview, Northbrook or Hinsdale?
Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
There are Pace buses that connect MOST suburban train stations to the densest pockets of rentals in the nearby area. That might be better than walking and the buses are scheduled to mostly "sync up" with train arrival / departure times.

There are also parking lots for all commuter rail stations. In know that in addition to the monthly commuter pass lots there are generally daily fee lots which tend to have available spaces. Hinsdale has two such daily fee lots, one at it main train station in the center or town and another at the smaller Highland station. The spaces fill first at the main lot, there is less frequent service to the Highland station. Additional spaces are available both in the municipal lots of Clarendon Hills as well as the Lion's Club lot which is adjacent to the West Hinsdale station.

Objective data that allows for a fair comparison of desirable middle school is very hard to come by. Relying on just the raw numbers of the weak state mandated tests suggest Hinsdale Middle School and Clarendon Hills School are very good options. http://www.suntimes.com/news/educati...-illinois.html

When it comes to high schools I very much like the broader groupings that US News and World Report use. By such rankings you would not be going wrong choosing any of these.http://education.usnews.rankingsandr...y+/detail+more

Last edited by chet everett; 04-13-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,065 times
Thank you, Chet everett, for your helpful information. However, I was told by friends it is hard to get parking permit near the train station area and one need to wait a few years to get the permit. I do not know whether it is true or not. Do you know any about this? In addition, where to find information on pace buses you mentioned? Thank you so much.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I agree that PERMITS are sometimes hard to get, as the municipality limits them to the number of reserved physical spaces. That is not the same as the DAILY FEE lots or the privately leased lots. There are spaces just as convenient as those in the PERMIT lots...

Pacebus has a website that is not easy to navigate but does have info. Google maps also will calcuate routes with transit options...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs