Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,363 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for this fantastic discussion!!!!

In looking, I do think the Fox Lake area is as far as we'd want to go. It seems like it's just far enough out to not feel like we'd be living in the city, but still close enough, especially via the train.

Hubby still hasn't heard back from the company .... let's hope no news is good news.

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:03 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I've never seen a sail boat on the river, so I agree with you there. But, you definitely can have a power boat on the stretch of the river north of Route 64 in St. Charles. I grew up going tubing and water skiing there all the time. I'm not sure if there are size limitations on what type of boat you can have, but I know you can have one. We often went out in groups of 6 to 10. I am by no means a boating expert though, so maybe that's just considered a tiny boat.
Yes , you are right, there is a dam on the river, I forgot. The other thing is, the Fox river is no match for living right on the water, but then again we do not know how intense the OP is regarding water sports. I still think I would try living in the city, near the lake, but then thats just me, I always wanted to do it, but never did....

Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , you are right, there is a dam on the river, I forgot. The other thing is, the Fox river is no match for living right on the water, but then again we do not know how intense the OP is regarding water sports. I still think I would try living in the city, near the lake, but then thats just me, I always wanted to do it, but never did....
Okay, let's swing the discussion your way ... and see where it goes. I am open to ideas!!

Say we decided that we wanted to live closer to the city, with just water views of the lake (or just near the lake), what areas would I look at? With a budget of $300+K and the need for 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a home with charm ... and a small back yard, where would we look?

I do not like new construction, or condo living. I love older homes with charactor, but ones that have been remodeled, especially the kitchen and baths.

I need the small city names in order to be able to do real estate searches.

HUGz! Jules

P.S. Sort of off topic ... it has been a long time since we lived where there are basements. Do I remember right ... when a home is listed, the square footage listed does *not* include any basement square footage?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
Okay, let's swing the discussion your way ... and see where it goes. I am open to ideas!!

Say we decided that we wanted to live closer to the city, with just water views of the lake (or just near the lake), what areas would I look at? With a budget of $300+K and the need for 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a home with charm ... and a small back yard, where would we look?

I do not like new construction, or condo living. I love older homes with charactor, but ones that have been remodeled, especially the kitchen and baths.

HUGz! Jules

P.S. Sort of off topic ... it has been a long time since we lived where there are basements. Do I remember right ... when a home is listed, the square footage listed does *not* include any basement square footage?
I was only talking about Chicago. I have no idea what a brownstone would cost. No doubt there would be a sacrifice in sq. ft. There are plenty of people who live and work near the city center and I am not talking about million dollar or more penthouses. I have a niece who is starting out at 23 her own apartment, and a bright future ahead. She loves all the things to do, and the social life. I am sure married folks with kids can do the same, buy or rent...... Lets get a city dweller in on this for more accurate info.?
As to realtor, most have a rule they do not count basements. The appraiser dictates this, also modular, pre fab, mobile homes etc. Comps are what they are looking for. I suppose in a planed special development all exceptions are based on whats around the house you are looking at. There are exceptions but they are rare., like where the main living level is the first floor and its partly underground. I am sure Earth Homes have the same exempt rules.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:

HUGz! Jules

I don't think you are going to find many single family homes in the city with a lake view that are at all affordable. This is the closest thing I could find:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...lslid=08033214

That's a few blocks west of the lake, although it is very cute and very close to the lake. I think that if you want a view of Lake Michigan then a condo is the only way to go.

Based on what you've written, I think Fox Lake is the best way to go because in that area a single family house on the lake is a possibility for $300k.

To answer your basement question, you are correct; square footage figures generally do not include the basement around here.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM

What a charming home that is!!!! And it looks like they've updated it very nicely!!

I am just not a city girl ....I'm just not sure I'd be happy living in the city.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
What a charming home that is!!!! And it looks like they've updated it very nicely!!

I am just not a city girl ....I'm just not sure I'd be happy living in the city.
At some point everyone who works in the loop , takes a look, if only in the mind , of living ether in a condo off Lake shore drive, or a remodeled city style on the near north side, Lincoln Park, other , fairly close to the big lake. You have marinas close by along with parks and all the things a big city like Chicago has to offer . Some do it , most live in the burbs. Its all about the lifestyle you choose.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
At some point everyone who works in the loop , takes a look, if only in the mind , of living ether in a condo off Lake shore drive, or a remodeled city style on the near north side, Lincoln Park, other , fairly close to the big lake. You have marinas close by along with parks and all the things a big city like Chicago has to offer . Some do it , most live in the burbs. Its all about the lifestyle you choose.
My favorite home ... I built from the ground up ... was out in the boonies! I love seclusion and don't mind driving into town. My ex used to talk about owning an apartment downtown as a second home, and there was nothing about it that appealed to me ... except being able to walk home from bars. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs