Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM

128 posts, read 389,840 times

Advertisements

We seen some houses in Lake Zurich and Prospect Heights that have private well water. I was wondering if you can request to have public (Lake Michigan) water and how does that work? We we pay for running the pipe or would the city pay full or partially of the cost. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede's Crew View Post
We seen some houses in Lake Zurich and Prospect Heights that have private well water. I was wondering if you can request to have public (Lake Michigan) water and how does that work? We we pay for running the pipe or would the city pay full or partially of the cost. Thanks.
I don't mean to sound flip with you, but do you really think these villages are going to pay for you to get hooked up to city water? Get your check-book out....thats even if the city agrees to let you pay for it.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The short answer is "you can always ask". The longer answer is that most muniple water systems charge pretty stiff "connection fees" and if the actual water mains need to be extended you are looking at what could be tens of thousands of dollars and just about no sane seller would do other than laugh at such a request...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
What's wrong with well water?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM

Most parts of the region that have well water tend to have high mineral content, often including signficant amounts of iron and fairly high levels of other metalic compounds. It ain't is bad as in agricultural areas where aquaifiers have been shown to contain significant amounts of herbicides but stained toilets and dingy clothes other prompt folks to add water softening devices and then you are slave to the routine of salt replacement...

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Aw, I'm so sorry for asking such a silly question. I remember couple of years back I read about how some suburbs will help their residents get hooked up to lake water if the ground water is too harsh or contaminated and will split the bill. I'll look into it some more if we decide to go with one of these houses. I know that some of these homes, all of the neighbors already have lake water. So it's just a matter of tapping into the main pipe.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Default Which can still be enormously costly...

Quote:
Aw, I'm so sorry for asking such a silly question. I remember couple of years back I read about how some suburbs will help their residents get hooked up to lake water if the ground water is too harsh or contaminated and will split the bill. I'll look into it some more if we decide to go with one of these houses. I know that some of these homes, all of the neighbors already have lake water. So it's just a matter of tapping into the main pipe.
The city of Chicago controls the base wholesale rate of Lake Michigan water sold to the suburbs. They have raised rates repeatedly. Beyond that the maintenance budgets of the various suburban water departments is stretched terribly thin. They use high connection fees to offset other expenses...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
If the neighbors on both sides have lake water, the line should be there, but you will pay out of pocket to tap into it. Some suburbs are cheaper than others. It's worth looking into but the lack of it shows the owner wasn't willing to pay the price to get it. My uncle took years to finally do it once the lines were laid even though his neighbors did pay the price.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
In Prospect Heights, probably not. There was a referendum that required a majority vote to convert to Lake Michigan water but it was turned down due to the cost. I do not hear any complaints about the water being "bad". probably more of a taste issue and also needing to keep up with the supplies in maintaining the system. I would not hesitate to buy in Prospect Heights due to well/septic. I would just research costs associated and be sure to include them in my cost of ownership comparisons.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM

I really like Prospect Heights. Those ranches on half an acre lots are so appealing. However, the well water and the lack of sidewalk, not so much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs