Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,889 times

Advertisements

Yup apparently it reveals that a substantial amount of people think Oak Park is the best suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
No doubt the good publishers of the free weekly newspaper took all the precautions that anyone would expect to disallow ballot stuffing.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 PM

That's right, everything must be a conspiracy if it's not the top dollar suburbs that are voted as the most desirable , LOL. There are some that just can't imagine why their bubble isn't as desirable to a lot of other people... what IS "revealing" is the attitude expressed by some specific people when a majority expresses their appreciation for places that don't match up with the ideological world view of the specific. I suppose the word "free" was used to lower the cultural/critical value of the publication, but in a twist of Irony, the fact that it's "free" only adds to it's readership, and the fact that it's commuter friendly... so "free" commuter friendly publications full of cultural information that are readily available equals more readers, and equals more people in the poll. Again, focusing on the positive, Oak Park was voted "THE BEST" suburb of 2012.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No doubt the good publishers of the free weekly newspaper took all the precautions that anyone would expect to disallow ballot stuffing.
Ironic since it's a bit similar to your rampant and negative OP balloteering throughout this thread.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM

Isn't the vote without any supporting details more like another poster's suggestions, that even fellow oak park residents reject, that any spot in the town is a little bit of heaven and above any sort of criticism?

I find beyond ironic that one forum member has essentially no posts other then those with which they attempt to refute the simple facts I present. As I said repeatedly in this thread and others and it is not that Oak Park is "bad" so much that the most biased supporters of the town paint a picture that is inaccurate and likely to disappoint...

It is odd that anyone who understands why the Reader exists would be proudly proclaiming that publication's top vote getters in suburbs or any category -- since Craigslist has destroyed the readership / revenues of free weeklies the whole reason for their existence is largely irrelevant. Web sites of all kinds are able to present a more timely and largely more useful role in most of areas where free weeklies were useful. The one area that still will be missed from The Reader is long form journalism,especially of the kind that exposes corruption and hypcrocrisy... http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...ent?oid=871452

Last edited by chet everett; 06-27-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 AM

214 posts, read 545,881 times
Quote:
The one area that still will be missed from The Reader is long form journalism,especially of the kind that exposes corruption and hypcrocrisy... Two Cops Who Broke the Code | Feature | Chicago Reader
Personally I grab a copy for the restaurant reviews and sex advice rather than 25 year old news articles, but to each his own....

Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Isn't the vote without any supporting details more like another poster's suggestions, that even fellow oak park residents reject, that any spot in the town is a little bit of heaven and above any sort of criticism?

I find beyond ironic that one forum member has essentially no posts other then those with which they attempt to refute the simple facts I present. As I said repeatedly in this thread and others and it is not that Oak Park is "bad" so much that the most biased supporters of the town paint a picture that is inaccurate and likely to disappoint...

It is odd that anyone who understands why the Reader exists would be proudly proclaiming that publication's top vote getters in suburbs or any category -- since Craigslist has destroyed the readership / revenues of free weeklies the whole reason for their existence is largely irrelevant. Web sites of all kinds are able to present a more timely and largely more useful role in most of areas where free weeklies were useful. The one area that still will be missed from The Reader is long form journalism,especially of the kind that exposes corruption and hypcrocrisy... Two Cops Who Broke the Code | Feature | Chicago Reader
No one said "above criticism", just above ideological agenda filled rants.

A certain someone must find it Ironic because they don't bother reading the other posts another writes... That certain someone gives himself too much credit, as I just happen to be on Oak Park related topics because I live here and know about it, and continually find a certain someone on those topics going on regular rants. If a certain someone finds resistance to their posts, it's because the people have found them in to be full of subjective analysis that's typically off the mark.

I find it ironic that any positive post about Oak Park is guaranteed a negative and condescending response from a certain someone.

I know of a lot of people, and I still see plenty of people reading the reader on the train to work, around coffee shops... hard copy publications still have a place for a lot of people, especially to commuters that want a way to kill time. People still read the Reader for entertainment, to find shows... and the fact that it's free increases it's the incentive to pick one up as people walk past a pile. It receives plenty of eyes who are potential voters.

Even with the lack of readership that a certain someone claims... Oak Park still came out on top in other peoples' eyes in compared to other places like Hinsdale.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Nice focused on topic response.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Ah yes, like a certain someones response...

Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Default Great Journalism

The 1981 story alleging corruption is not only well written it's curious the Village hired a high profile novelist to run an official investigation. It's even more curious that six years later no one knew anything more than they did six years earlier. Today, thirty-one years later, the conclusion of the investigation is glaringly absent in the here and now. .

Without a conclusion it's an old ugly story about cops and Oak Park, posted in the Oak Park forum. One could conclude it is an sly attempt to open old wounds. It is the kind of story of which novels are made.

Quote:
.....snip..... The one area that still will be missed from The Reader is long form journalism,especially of the kind that exposes corruption and hypcrocrisy... Two Cops Who Broke the Code | Feature | Chicago Reader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs