Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM

19 posts, read 23,539 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Roselle. We currently live in SE Wisconsin. The commute is almost an hour and a half. We are thinking of relocating to AH. We have two girls ages ten and six. Do you recommend this area and do you know anything about the public schools there? Thank you so much in advance for any information you can provide us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,860,177 times
There are numerous posts about Arlington Heights as well as some of the other towns that may be close to Roselle. In general, AH offers a nice range of housing and some pretty decent values for the region. The schools are better performing than many of their neighbors, but not as highly rated as in some of the more costly areas. A nice trade-off between between very price towns and the less desirable areas for those that work in the NW suburbs.

Price range is probably key, as is tolerance for commute distance, as you might get a little more house for your money with a little longer commute and/or a little nicer range of schools im pricer areas.

The kids are in grade school so I would expect that you want both a short term good school situation as well as longer term prospects for high school to be promising and that gets harder and harder to predict with the uncertainty that comes from the failure of our legislators to deal with funding issues. Personally that might me to seek out the least expensive home in the best rated school area, especially with just two kids, but everyone will have their own priorities...

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,443,037 times
Most of the high schools in Illinois are on a State Watch List due to the failure to meet federal education standards. It doesn't seem to make much difference whether you live in an expensive town or not. the difference between the town with a median income of $186,000 and the "less desirable" town that Chet talks about may only have a median income of $160,000. The difference is not the $25K or the color of the money, it is the diversity of race. It is very difficult to find a town with no minorities any where in Illinois - unless you go to an obscure farm town -- and even then there is no guarantee.

If diversity is a worry, do look at the demographics of each town you consider and also look for advantages your children might have. I think you will be very surprised at what Arlington Heights offers besides the race track.

There is absolutely not guarantee any high school will be a success or a failure four years*from now or ten years from now. Generally speaking parents who are involved with the teachers and schools, homework, and after school activities, have children who do well in school despite the naysayers.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM

4,152 posts, read 8,011,663 times
I like arlington hts. If I had to relocate to the nw suburbs it would be top on my list.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 AM

Thank you for the info everyone! AH is still at the top of our list! I'm so excited!!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,801,990 times
Why not just live in Roselle?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,024,116 times
I grew up in Roselle and it's a reasonably pleasant, if rather boring town. The schools in AH are probably better, but I did end up going to a top university, so I wasn't hindered by that.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Thank you all for the information! We found a great house and really nice landlords! I'm so excited to get out of Cheeseland! We are moving in July!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,024,116 times
Where did you decide to move to?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM

We found a cute split level in Arlington Heights! Perfect for Us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs