Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Not for me! How about an average summer. I hate the low 70's & upper 60's days because it's not as pleasant to go swimming. I say between 75 and 82 with low humanities
Yeah right, I wont go swimming until its literally the tropical heat feel.
Then its awesome to swim in the summer months.

Still can't believe we made it thru winter so easy.
Hard to imagine.

Dare I say it but - It might be very safe to say we will not get a major winter storm anymore for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Dare I say it but - It might be very safe to say we will not get a major winter storm anymore for the season.
Well, according to Skilling no more winterstorms this season, here comes the spring...

Friday's chill turns around this weekend amid yet another round of high winds Saturday. Temperatures are to surge within striking distance of Saturday Saturday and into the 60s Sunday. And the warming is to extend into next week with temperatures nearing record levels and surging to 70--and even higher Tuesday and Wed. We're still getting eye-catching warmth off our medium range (2 week) model forecasts for this time of year! An ensemble of overnight and Thursday forecasts off the Weather Service GFS and GFS ensemble model runs and the European Center's ensemble model peg predicted temp departures as follows: Days 1-5: 8.1 deg above normal; Days 6-10: 19.7-deg above normal and Days 11-15: 19.7 deg above normal. If these come anywhere close to verifying, they're stunning numbers!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 AM

15 posts, read 89,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
I moved here from Orlando, FL 8 months ago, the summer was wonderful and starting mid-September it got chilly FAST and the winter hasn't been fun at all, what makes matters worse, everyone tells me this has been a mild winter. How can anyone live here for years? How do you guys get the motivation and energy to make it through another winter? I can't wait to shed off my coat!

I applaud you all!
Hi Junita.
Sorry you're having trouble adjusting. I moved from South Florida just over 3 years ago, after living there nearly my entire life. The winters there are even warmer than Orlando. When we decided to make the big move I knew I was in for a big change. I decided I was going to make the best of it I could. Maybe because I expected it to be really cold I did OK, and believe me it was much worse than this winter. Don't get me wrong, it's been a huge adjustment. Sometimes it seemed like we moved to another planet, and not because of the weather. Overall though, we really like it here.

I survive the winter by not spending much time outside if I can help it. The bulky coats do annoy me sometimes, I usually drive without it if I can. Having a garage and actually parking in it makes a big difference. At least leaving from home the car isn't that cold & there's no ice to scrape off.

A big thing for me that I realize many can't do, is I escape to FL for a week or so a couple times during the winter. My parents live there & I have a cheap way to get there so I take advantage of that. Though I think it actually makes it worse when I come back & it's still winter.

I think you just have to decide to make the best you can of it. Bloom where you're planted and all that. Good luck, I hope you have an easier time next winter.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
I moved here from Orlando, FL 8 months ago, the summer was wonderful and starting mid-September it got chilly FAST and the winter hasn't been fun at all, what makes matters worse, everyone tells me this has been a mild winter. How can anyone live here for years? How do you guys get the motivation and energy to make it through another winter? I can't wait to shed off my coat!

I applaud you all!
Let's try this from a different angle:

"I moved to Orlando from Chicago 8 months ago, the late fall/winter was wonderful and starting in April it got hot FAST and the summer hasn't been fun at all, what makes matters worse, everyone tells me this has been a mild summer. How can anyone live here for years? How do you guys get the motivation and energy to make it through another summer? I can't wait until I'm no longer drenched in sweat!"

Moral of the story: what we're used to, you're not; and vicce-versa. Some deal with change better than others. After spending 2 weeks in Florida one summer I honestly don't understand how people live there year-round. I lived downstate for several years, on about the same lattitude as Baltimore, and even that was uncomfortable. Pittsburgh is as far south as I've ever been comfortable and I don't ever want to live further south than that again. Similarly, in the end it could just be that northern living isn't for you.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
So now that the weather is getting "nice" is that the rain season? Where all the thunderstorms happen? Last summer we got tons of rain and storms I just want some warmth and dry weather!

good news is I can actually go for walks outside now!
Spring is wet here. It's also very windy, as you might have noticed ... the turn of winter to spring is tornado weather. The icy cold North is battling with the warming South, and we are in the middle of it. It rains a lot in April. You've heard the children's rhyme "April showers bring May flowers"? It also rains in May, and sporadically throughout the summer due to humidity.

You won't see dry weather until fall. It's not unbearably humid here in my opinion, but it is not dry in the summertime.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let's try this from a different angle:

"I moved to Orlando from Chicago 8 months ago, the late fall/winter was wonderful and starting in April it got hot FAST and the summer hasn't been fun at all, what makes matters worse, everyone tells me this has been a mild summer. How can anyone live here for years? How do you guys get the motivation and energy to make it through another summer? I can't wait until I'm no longer drenched in sweat!"

Moral of the story: what we're used to, you're not; and vicce-versa. Some deal with change better than others. After spending 2 weeks in Florida one summer I honestly don't understand how people live there year-round. I lived downstate for several years, on about the same lattitude as Baltimore, and even that was uncomfortable. Pittsburgh is as far south as I've ever been comfortable and I don't ever want to live further south than that again. Similarly, in the end it could just be that northern living isn't for you.
Agree 1,000% percent - I would hate that kind of summer! Putting up with winter is worth it for me.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,285 times
81 degrees right now in Cicago, 80 in Miami

Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
81 degrees right now in Cicago, 80 in Miami
It's 43 here in Boston right now, although the last 2 days it hit 70 for a high..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
The Astronomical winter ends March 20. How did I cope today? Putting on shorts and taking a bike ride.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM

172 posts, read 438,237 times
I have been here for over 33 years and I'm still not used to the cold! (btw, I am 33 so you do the math) I'm one of those people who are always cold. I tolerate the cold weather and make the best of it. I still take walks in the cold. You just have to make sure you dress warmly. I dream of some day living in a warm climate but I love Chicago. And I'm not crazy about the south. During the cold months find indoor activies to do with friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs