Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 AM
kah kah started this thread

6 posts, read 17,449 times

Advertisements

Hi I've just had a week staying in Warrenville looking at suburbs and houses,
Naperville, Warrenville and Wheaton are what I liked, any info about Warrenville and Wheaton would be great, (there seems to be lots about Naper..) I was aprehensive about moving to Chicago but this visit has made me feel much better, everyone I met was just so friendly, helpful and welcoming!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Welcome to Illinois W'ville does not have its own "downtown",other then that, I know you get more home for you money there over the other two burbs you mentioned.(At least for now).Do you like all three equally? Then its just a matter of picking out the right house.The schools in N'ville and Wheaton are very good.You will have to get another reply about W'villes schools.Good luck to you on your move

Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah View Post
Hi I've just had a week staying in Warrenville looking at suburbs and houses,
Naperville, Warrenville and Wheaton are what I liked, any info about Warrenville and Wheaton would be great, (there seems to be lots about Naper..) I was aprehensive about moving to Chicago but this visit has made me feel much better, everyone I met was just so friendly, helpful and welcoming!!
What kind of info are you looking for? I can tell you that Warrenville is quieter and less expensive than Wheaton, but Wheaton is nicer and has better schools.

Warrenville is growing, albeit slowly. There are many new shopping areas, but most of the town is older, but still quite nice. My fave neighborhoods are just west of the DuPage River and south of Warrenville Rd and north of I-88. Its very quiet in there and everything looks well kept from what Ive seen. There are several tear-downs going on, with many McMansions being erected.

Wheaton is more active and nicer overall, with a nice downtown and beautiful parks. The problem is that it all comes at a hefty price. The schools in Wheaton are always rated well if you have children to consider. Not that Warrenville's schools are bad by any stretch, but Wheaton's always rank higher.

Where in Wheaton and Warrenville did you look? If you like those areas, you should check out Bartlett, St. Charles, Geneva, Elburn, Wasco, Plainfield, etc.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:42 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Where in Wheaton and Warrenville did you look? If you like those areas, you should check out Bartlett, St. Charles, Geneva, Elburn, Wasco, Plainfield, etc.
The schools aren't as good in those areas though, except for some in St. Charles and Geneva.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
The schools aren't as good in those areas though, except for some in St. Charles and Geneva.
Besides parts of Bartlett, the schools are great. Parts of Bartlett go to Elgin (nasty) and some go to the nice new Bartlett H.S.

Wasco kids go to St. Charles, Elburn go to Kaneland, Plainfield to Naperville.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Besides parts of Bartlett, the schools are great. Parts of Bartlett go to Elgin (nasty) and some go to the nice new Bartlett H.S.

Wasco kids go to St. Charles, Elburn go to Kaneland, Plainfield to Naperville.
I didn't say they weren't great (although I would argue that for some of them), simply not as good as the schools in Naperville and Wheaton. The most recent test scores show this:

average % of students meeting/exceeding state standards in all subjects

Elementary schools in Wheaton in CUSD 200: 93.27%
Elementary schools in Naperville in CUSD 203: 93.58%
Elementary schools in Naperville in CUSD 204: 91.7%
Elementary schools in Bartlett in SD U46: 88.83%
Elementary schools in St Charles CUSD 303: 91.06%
Elementary schools in Elburn in Kaneland CUSD 302: 91.75%
Middle schools in Wheaton CUSD 200: 90.43%
Middle schools in Naperville in CUSD 203: 92.83%
Middle schools in Naperville in CUSD 204: 93.13%
Middle school in Bartlett in SD U46: 91.2%
Middle schools in St Charles CUSD 303: 92.27%
Middle school in Kaneland CUSD 302: 86.2%

I'm using the averages to save time and space, but if anyone is interested in the scores for individual schools I can post those too.

Only a very small portion of Plainfield is in Naperville's CUSD 204. It's one subdivision, as far as I can tell from comparing the district's boundary map to a map of Plainfield. Most of Plainfield is in Plainfield CUSD 202, and the average for elementary schools in that district is 82.81% and for middle schools it's 79.84%.
Also, Kaneland is not a good high school. I know people who teach there, and the school has very low expectations. Perhaps this is changing as the area becomes more populated, but right now I would definitely not send my kids there.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Well, the middle school in Kaneland is a bit below, but not bad at all. Kaneland H.S. is right up there with the others.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Kaneland H.S. is right up there with the others.
Actually, it's not...

average % meeting/exceeding state standards in all subjects and average ACT composite score

Wheaton North HS: 76.7%, 23.3
Wheaton Warrenville HS: 75.3%, 23.1
Naperville North HS: 81.8%, 24.6
Naperville Central HS: 83.3%, 24.1
Neuqua Valley HS: 77.2%, 23.8
Bartlett HS: 66%, 20.7
St Charles East HS: 67.6%, 22.1
St Charles North HS: 70.9%, 22.6
Kaneland HS: 61.7%, 20.7

As I stated before, the schools in the other towns you mentioned are not as good as the schools in Wheaton and Naperville. I'm not here to debate whether or not they are good, because everyone has his/her own definition of "good".

Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Im sorry, I meant to put Kaneland's elementary schools. All the talk about the high school got to me. lol

Im surprised to see St. Charles get a 70%. Interesting.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Im sorry, I meant to put Kaneland's elementary schools. All the talk about the high school got to me. lol
Yeah, honestly I was surprised when I saw their scores; I'd been expecting high 80s, not 90s. It shows that the district is likely heading in a good direction. But the scores of the other elementary schools in the district are in the 80s, which partially explains the lower middle and high school scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs