Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 AM

199 posts, read 618,353 times

Advertisements

Check in your area for community indoor swimming pools or join the YMCA if available. Look forward to the summer here; it's a bit toned down from summer in Florida but still hot and humid if you miss it. Be careful with tanning beds, I know a young woman that developed skin cancer from over tanning. I feel your pain; I lived in SoCal in the 70s & 80s and loved the climate; unfortunately I had to move back to Chi. Been back here over 25 years and am moving back to SoCal next month. Maybe you'll have a move back to Florida in your future, too! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they've helped a lot and it's good to see that other people feel the same way about the winter and sympathize, my husband was like "Get over it". That did not help at all.
The grayness bothers me but the cold not so much. When we have a cold snap it usually brings brilliant sunshine. I know your blood is "thinned" from living in FLA., but find a way to dress for the weather and get out for walks or if your more fitness crazy, like me, get our for a run or a bike ride.
I run during the winter unless it's very rainy or super bitter cold windy. They have *** Traks/cleats you can slip over running shoes to prevent slipping on snow and ice. Or get your bike out and find a park or forest preserve to go riding in. Or head out to the woods for a walk/hike. Moving around will help and the fresh air feels good. The real treat will be the weather from June-October compared to typical hot/humid FLA summer. Yes we get hot, but those upper 70's-low 80's days with low humididty when you can open your windows in the house are awesome!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 AM

174 posts, read 640,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I found when I moved in the 80's from Cali to N.D. that it was helpful that I had school aged children. I found volunteering w/ the various scouts, and school activities led me to situations and opportunities to get to know other parents. Church ativities, volunteering etc. I am not sure where in Chicago you live, but is there a neighborhood place, a lil eatery etc, where you could pop in weekly, and get to be a regular. How about a local church? Also, volunteering w/ agencies that work w/ underprivledged
folks seems to put things in perspective, and makes us realize how good we have it. Just some suggestions, hope it gets better
Thank you for the suggestions. I live in the southern suburbs. A semi pure residential place. not really much in here. The nearest commercial establishments are a mile away or atleast 10 minute walk. I don't have a car yet so I'm kinda limited in where to go.
But yea, soon as everything's ok or I started school, I know I'll be okay.
I'm very shy and an introvert, so it's gonna be a challenge for me to socialize with people. But I'm ready for that.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:29 PM

183 posts, read 338,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they've helped a lot and it's good to see that other people feel the same way about the winter and sympathize, my husband was like "Get over it". That did not help at all.
Learn how to ice skate. Find a park district indoor rink and take lessons. Ice skating can give you an winter 'high'. Try it.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,142 times
Just drink heavily during the winter...that always helps me

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you haven't even experienced anything close to how cold it gets in winter here yet. November was 4.6 degrees above average, and December has started out 3.4 above average, with Friday and Saturday being the only really cold days thus far.

However, although it's expected to get chillier on Thursday- generally milder weather is expected to continue for the time being. So, if you are going to try to get used to the weather so you can spend a little time outdoors, now is the time to do it!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Odd thing is I personally favor this weather over the hot blistering days of summer when all you can do is stay inside anyway.

Plenty of things to do outside in the winter months.
Most days are tolerable.
Personally I lived in Fla and did not like the heat.
Good advice in this thread, but wanted to chime in here...

You say when all you can do is stay inside, that might be true for you, not others.

As somebody who has also done it, I can see why the OP feels that way. Nobody who is from Florida is staying indoors all the time, that is the Midwestern transplant perspective b/c they can't handle the heat. Likewise, somebody from FL would have an equally tough time handling the cold in Chicago and might just stay indoors all winter.

I also think it might be tougher for the reverse. Spring and Fall in Chicago are also colder than the actual winter in Central Florida, where as, summer in Chicago often can get just as hot/humid as FL in certain stretches, you'll never see even close to the type of cold Chicago experiences in Florida. So I can see why OP feels depressed already, Sep-Nov is colder than Dec-Feb in FL, plus all the trees die/get gray skies, etc... That doesn't happen in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The real treat will be the weather from June-October compared to typical hot/humid FLA summer. Yes we get hot, but those upper 70's-low 80's days with low humididty when you can open your windows in the house are awesome!
Again, I think you are looking at it from a Midwestern perspective. I am in the same boat, like Chicago, but not the weather...
June is still often jacket weather many days, as is October. I do not think the OP is bothered by heat/humidity, remember they are from FL, we can handle it. I usually laugh when people complain about heat here when it is 85. Though, I'm sure I get the same when I am overly bundled up and freezing.

Last edited by grapico; 12-13-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
One more thought on this topic...

If you really spend your time feeling like you're "missing something" by being in Chicago instead of Florida, then you will never get over the weather. My thoughts are this is really why some Chicago transplants never get adjusted, while most Chicago natives don't have a problem.

If you're a Chicago native, grew up here, went to college here, have tons of family and dozens of friends and acquaintances here, then serious thought of moving to another locale for weather reason probably never crosses your mind. Chicago is all you've known for all of your life, and you have created and invested such a rich and full life in the area that it would take a lot to get you to leave all of that behind.

Contrast that with a transplant who has many fewer "ties" to Chicago, perhaps grew up in a warmer climate, went to school elsewhere, has most family and friends elsewhere. If this person spends the bulk of their time pining for something else, be it better weather, closer family, closer access to their lifelong friends, then that person may never really "warm up" to Chicago. And the weather becomes the most tangible excuse to eventually dislike the area and pull up stakes and move away.

Yes, I'm describing myself, btw... But I don't think I'm very unique in having these thoughts, am I?

** Separate from complaining about the weather, I have friends from Chicago that grew up, went to college, and worked, in the Chicago area. These people have such a large circle of close friends (from growing up, and college, and work) and then an even larger circle of "friends of friends." As a transplant I do envy those who have spent their lives in one town, and the connections that bring. There's no way that an adult transplant could ever hope to replicate that kind of network. Instead we just hope for a few good friendships. And don't you know, most often those friendships are with other transplants, not locals. Funny how that works...

Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
One more thought on this topic...

If you really spend your time feeling like you're "missing something" by being in Chicago instead of Florida, then you will never get over the weather. My thoughts are this is really why some Chicago transplants never get adjusted, while most Chicago natives don't have a problem.

If you're a Chicago native, grew up here, went to college here, have tons of family and dozens of friends and acquaintances here, then serious thought of moving to another locale for weather reason probably never crosses your mind. Chicago is all you've known for all of your life, and you have created and invested such a rich and full life in the area that it would take a lot to get you to leave all of that behind.

Contrast that with a transplant who has many fewer "ties" to Chicago, perhaps grew up in a warmer climate, went to school elsewhere, has most family and friends elsewhere. If this person spends the bulk of their time pining for something else, be it better weather, closer family, closer access to their lifelong friends, then that person may never really "warm up" to Chicago. And the weather becomes the most tangible excuse to eventually dislike the area and pull up stakes and move away.

Yes, I'm describing myself, btw... But I don't think I'm very unique in having these thoughts, am I?

** Separate from complaining about the weather, I have friends from Chicago that grew up, went to college, and worked, in the Chicago area. These people have such a large circle of close friends (from growing up, and college, and work) and then an even larger circle of "friends of friends." As a transplant I do envy those who have spent their lives in one town, and the connections that bring. There's no way that an adult transplant could ever hope to replicate that kind of network. Instead we just hope for a few good friendships. And don't you know, most often those friendships are with other transplants, not locals. Funny how that works...
Uh, not so. Chicago native here. Now in sunny Arizona. Realized just how bad the weather could get to ya, once you really thought about it. If you HAVE to be there, then try to make the best of it. If not, move somewhere else. We did.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 AM

199 posts, read 618,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Uh, not so. Chicago native here. Now in sunny Arizona. Realized just how bad the weather could get to ya, once you really thought about it. If you HAVE to be there, then try to make the best of it. If not, move somewhere else. We did.
Agreed 100%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs