Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,142 times

Advertisements

The OP hasn't even responded to this thread in months...I wonder if she jumped off the Naperville Riverwalk bridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
The OP hasn't even responded to this thread in months...I wonder if she jumped off the Naperville Riverwalk bridge
Well, she responded to the "how do you cope with winter" thread a couple days ago, so I think its safe to say that hasn't happened.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Well, she responded to the "how do you cope with winter" thread a couple days ago, so I think its safe to say that hasn't happened.
Phew!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,172 times
Hi , My Husband and I moved here from Brevard county, FL, about 2 yrs ago, I also miss Fl, miss walking on the beach, we are slowly getting used to it, we are looking at homes around Mundelein, and Waconda, we saw a home in Waconda, we really like, where in Fla, are you from?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:07 AM

262 posts, read 606,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Uh, not so. Chicago native here. Now in sunny Arizona. Realized just how bad the weather could get to ya, once you really thought about it. If you HAVE to be there, then try to make the best of it. If not, move somewhere else. We did.
I can really relate to this. I was born in Chicago and grew up in Chicagoland, and I also moved to Arizona. It's been over a year now and I don't miss Illinois the slightest bit, all because of the crappy weather.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
See and I went to Phoenix this winter for several days and I hated all the brown. I would much rather put up with our weather and have all this beautiful green all spring and summer.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 6,172 times
Default here from Fla,

My husband moved here from Brevard County, Fla,I agree it gets depressing we are looking for a home in Waconda, or Montelein, I also miss family, what part of fla are you from, I miss the beach, walks on the beach.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
I can really relate to this. I was born in Chicago and grew up in Chicagoland, and I also moved to Arizona. It's been over a year now and I don't miss Illinois the slightest bit, all because of the crappy weather.
we're all different, fr8: if i moved to Arizona, I would miss Chicago's weather incredibly. To me an Arizona summer is 10x worse than a Chicago winter. And what is really different is that while AZ can be assured of a hot summer every year, Chicago's winters are hit-and-miss. The last one was warm. Few are all that bad. and none don't have long stretches when the temperatures are just fine, people are out and about and enjoying themselves.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Mother lived in NM. Christmas was depressing especially seeing giant cactus decorated like a tree. and no homes decorated. AZ may be entirely different. I enjoyed the summer as she lived in a community with a pool that was open all night. I'll still take my green and four seasons, though.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
Hey everyone,

Me and my husband moved to Chicago 6 months ago from Central Florida. We rented an apartment downtown and a month ago we bought a house in Naperville cause rent was too high.

I miss Florida so much and I'm so sick of the weather here and it's not even winter yet. It's so depressing to stay in and too cold to go out and do anything, it gets too dark so fast and I miss our families in FL.

I know we can't move anywhere for a while now since we bought a house but I don't know what to do. I miss the hot and humid weather!
Three years ago, i moved from Chicagoland to the FLorida Panhandle...love it here ! Far better place in my opinion and based on my lifestyle. I dont miss the rat race , hassle of crossing the street, noise, crime rate, or prolonged winters fighting ice and snow and getting the car stuck in it. I dont miss the culture or the generally unfriendly people . Again... this is all MY personal opinion from my experiences living around Chicago for some 45 continuous years. That said, i DID enjoy going to Chicago once per year to the Adler Planetarium, Museum, Genos East Pizza, top of the Sears Tower, and Navy Pier. I think you have to be a real city person to enjoy living in downtown Chicago , which many are. But if you lived in Central Florida or Northern Florida, you are going to experience severe culture shock and miss the extended summers that Florida is all about.

What to do about it ???? You will either have to sell your house and take a loss on it but hope to make it up on a new purchase in Florida (which i did)...or....stay put until the real estate market turns better and try as hard as heck to find benefits to living in Chicago --- theres lots to do in and around the City if you put your mind to it but realize its not going to be anything like Florida. I hope you can make the transition work ; maybe youll make some good friends which will make all the difference and get you out of the house more. For your safety, I would like to recommend you carry some kind of protection as Chicago has developed into an overall high crime area regardless of where you live within the city limits --- a small pistol that can be easily concealed is my first choice...or at least a small can of pepper spray.

One definite plug for Chicagoland , is, it was a good place for my self employment which is now allowing me a nice place for retirement in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs