Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

I'm working at University of Chicago, but I want to move to a suburb because my daughter is starting school next year soon and I grew up in a suburb. We are looking for a somewhat diverse (mostly white, Maybe) and extremely safe. I'm a single mom and don't have a budget of more than 215000 for homes. Got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
You might want to consider the south or southwest suburbs of Chicago. In the south I'd probably recommend the Homewood - Flossmoor area. Not sure what your budget would get you there. Is URZA here (I'm sure he would know what kind of property your budget would get you out there). Really lovely architecture in that area. Then out SW, it would be trickier because it's generally pricier, but I'd possibly look at Willowbrook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCaddy View Post
I'm working at University of Chicago, but I want to move to a suburb because my daughter is starting school next year soon and I grew up in a suburb. We are looking for a somewhat diverse (mostly white, Maybe) and extremely safe. I'm a single mom and don't have a budget of more than 215000 for homes. Got any ideas?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Somewhere along the Metra Electric line to have a tolerable commute. Flossmoor, Matteson, University Park.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I don't think there are too many condos or town homes in Willowbrook that would fit inside the OP's. $215k budget.

The suggestions to look to other towns on the Metra lines than serve Hyde Park are pretty good, but honestly total commute time is not really stellar.

You might do better looking to Oak Lawn, schools are generally better than the regular public schools in Chicago, fairly reasonable housing options, short drive to Hyde Park...

Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCaddy View Post
The southwest suburbs are doable if you plan on traveling by car. But otherwise you're gonna want to be in the south suburbs near the Metra Electric line. Homewood and Flossmoor have long been suburban bedroom communities for the University of Chicago and Hyde Park. Diverse, nice, safe. Flossmoor is less affordable and you might want to scratch it off the list. You might also want to look into the townhouses right by the Richton Park Metra station. It's less diverse, you won't be the only white person but I hope you don't mind clearly being the minority. It's right right off off Sauk Trail and walking distance to not just the Metra station but the library, a cafe for commuters, two grocery stores, a laundry mat, a dry cleaners, a video rental store, a pizza place, a gryros joint and other things.. Not bad. For affordability, you might also want to look into houses on the north side of Park Forest which is very close to the Metra station.

Someone else mentioned University Park. I would NOT recommend University Park to you. First of all, there are no actual neighborhoods near the UP Metra station (just a Speedway gas station, a cornfield and then there's Terrace Motel a little ways down the road) and you might actually end up catching the train in Richton Park. Second of all, there is virtually NO diversity in University Park except for maybe transients living in rental units.. According to City-Data, there are 456 white people living in University Park. I'd say almost every single one of them are living in the Brittnay Woods apartments, that other big old apartment building that kinda looks like a project, an unincorporated area that just so happens to have a University Park mailing address or maybe the motel (lol) I live just outside of University Park and I'm thankful for what the staff at the University Park Public Library has done for me. It's not a bad community. I just wouldn't recommend it for your wants and needs.

Last edited by urza216; 11-06-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
The suggestions so far have been good. However, while Flossmoor is the priciest of the south suburbs, I would NOT scratch it off your list. $215,000 will get you a decent home in Flossmoor. It won't be a new McMansion, or anything grand, but you shouldn't have an issue with space..if at all, the main issue would be cosmetic updating. I did an MLS search on properties in that price range and found very good homes in Flossmoor. And although your budget is $215,000, you should increase the limit in your search. People want to sell and many deals can be made.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM

13 posts, read 38,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The suggestions so far have been good. However, while Flossmoor is the priciest of the south suburbs, I would NOT scratch it off your list. $215,000 will get you a decent home in Flossmoor. It won't be a new McMansion, or anything grand, but you shouldn't have an issue with space..if at all, the main issue would be cosmetic updating. I did an MLS search on properties in that price range and found very good homes in Flossmoor. And although your budget is $215,000, you should increase the limit in your search. People want to sell and many deals can be made.
Totally agree - hey, this post is drumming up a lot of response, can someone who has a mortgage in Flossmoor please respond to my recent post?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Homewood is a good option because of the METRA and the housing stock.
Just something to keep in mind South Holland has some newer condo units.

If you want a more rural type setting Crete, IL is a nice village its quiet but would be an easy commute relativley speaking at the right time of day.
You could always catch Metra in Flossmoore or Oly Fields or Richton Park.
Just an option as Crete is about 10 miles south of Homewood.
Beecher is even further out and may be a little to secluded for your tastes

There are some really really nice homes out that way and alot of the village is in forrest preserves very quiet.

Hands down Floosmoore in that part of the Southland is the GEM>
Homewood I absolutley love that place. They have a nice downtown with restarurants 2 coffee shops, little retail and METRA.
Homewood has a lot going for it . low crime and feeds into HF schools which supposedly are good.
Walkable steets with sidewalks , mature trees overall a nice nice place.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Homewood, Flossmoor, and Olympia Fields would all be good options in that price range. You would probably have to do cosmetic improvements depending on how updated you wanted the home to be to get a home that's in flossmoor or olympia fields for that price range. But a great buy. Plus you also have to consider the high property taxes. In Homewood you could definitely get a home in move in condition for the 200k price range considering the current down market. That is updated and the property taxes would be lower. It all depends on whether you want to get a deal and do some updating for the 200k. Also have the higher taxes of a higher income neighborhood. Or move right in. Property taxes have to be included into the budget though because you won't get a break there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs