Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

I came form indiana and have noticed that in "nice" burbs in chicago even the big houses have ciding and not brick. I find ciding cheap looking and cant believe all the homes with it. It makes them look ugly. IN the rich burbs of indianapolis all the homes are brick and it makes them look a lot nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I came form indiana and have noticed that in "nice" burbs in chicago even the big houses have ciding and not brick. I find ciding cheap looking and cant believe all the homes with it. It makes them look ugly. IN the rich burbs of indianapolis all the homes are brick and it makes them look a lot nicer.
First off its "siding".

There are plenty of brick homes in the area. What youre seeing are the cookie cutter homes in the rapidly expanding suburbs. I know that the words "rapidly expanding" might be alien in Indiana, but thats how contractors throw up tons of homes relatively quickly. Not only that but siding is alot less expensive.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off its "siding".

There are plenty of brick homes in the area. What youre seeing are the cookie cutter homes in the rapidly expanding suburbs. I know that the words "rapidly expanding" might be alien in Indiana, but thats how contractors throw up tons of homes relatively quickly. Not only that but siding is alot less expensive.
Indianapolis has one of the fastest growing metro area in the country. Faster than Chicagoland. FYI.

BTW. It was the far west burbs so you might be right. Which areas have mostly brick homes.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
What I've seen in the nicer parts of the far western suburbs are huge mcmansions with brick fronts and siding on the side and rear of the house. That way, from the street, you see mostly brick, and don't notice the siding. Maybe less than one house in ten has brick all the way around, which is probably an upgrade option. I guess most buyers don't feel the need to spend the extra on the exterior and would rather spend it on interior upgrades.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,697 times
Quote:
Which areas have mostly brick homes.
Long Grove, definitely.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Siding is cheaper so home builders like using it for homes in the $200-$350 range. It also depends on the areas. Some older more tony suburbs such as Long Grove, River Forest, Oak Park, etc. have mainly brick homes. You'll pay more for brick, but it beats siding hands down. Many homes in Chicago, particulay the bungalow belt areas have a huge inventory of brick homes.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,935 times
Default Brick Bungalows In Wheaton Illinois

Dear Friend:

Soon after world war two, a company known as "Lustron" started building homes with huge square plates of enameled steel. Those were for the housing benefit of our WW-2 'Dough Boys' returning home. So this was probably around circa 1947. Although, I don't remember prices - - let's say as a guess that a typical price for a Lustron was maybe $7K per house? So there is a very fascinating 'following' of people interested in those Lustron homes. In Wheaton, we had two Lustron homes that I saw around the late 1970s. But the land became too valuable and so they were torn down. A mistake - - I think.
Another very popular home during the years slightly before WW-2 were the brick bungalow homes. Those homes were very small but brick was used with all of those homes. In Wheaton, there is a small neighborhood area of those brick bungalows. I believe (as a guess?) that similar homes are also known as 'Brown Stone' homes in parts of Chicago (City). Also as a guess, I believe that one would find those brick bungalows in most nearby suburbs (old communities) near Chicago.

Carter Glass

Old 08-21-2007, 08:02 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
I agree about the SIDING style homes looking cheap. Not only to mention that they look cheap, they are not as strong and do not hold up as well as brick homes during high winds from things like Micro bursts and small tornados so, a little insight for potential home buyers out there to consider when looking for homes in an area that can get hit with tornados from time to time. With Chicago's harsh climate, brick is undoubtabley the way to go.

Orland Park and Tinley Park both will NOT even allow houses to be built that are all sided, so you may want to check out those two towns. The only siding you will see on a house in Orland Park is on the second floor of homes. Now with old historic homes this isn't the case as that rule in both towns went into effect some 30 years ago so those homes are grandfathered in, but none the less, there are thousands of homes around Orland Park that are all brick. Be prepared though because brick is gonna cost you.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Indianapolis has one of the fastest growing metro area in the country. Faster than Chicagoland. FYI.
7 of 100 fastest growing areas are in IL, Indiana only had 2. FYI....

America's Fastest-Growing Suburbs - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/2007/07/16/suburbs-growth-housing-forbeslife-cx_mw_0716realestate_2.html - broken link)

Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
7 of 100 fastest growing areas are in IL, Indiana only had 2. FYI....

America's Fastest-Growing Suburbs - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/2007/07/16/suburbs-growth-housing-forbeslife-cx_mw_0716realestate_2.html - broken link)
i never said suburbs. I'm talking indy and the counties surrounding it which include the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs