Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 10,443 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Lansing during the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. I remember the schools, parks, restaurants, the good neighbor parade, the forest preservers, working out over at Eisenhower and that small town feel. I really loved the town and have such great memories of it growing up and into early adulthood. I moved in 2002 when I got married but my parents still live there. Every time I come back the town seems a little more run down. Homes in my parents neighborhood aren’t painted as often as they should be, the lawns look a little less cared for, landscaping doesn’t seem as neat and trim as it used to.

I don’t see as much business in the town either. Sam’s club is gone and The Landings looks half empty.

Much of this has to do with the agreement Lansing made with Lynwood in order to expand the airport: Lynwood would allow Lansing to annex the land it needed if Lansing took all of Lynwood’s high school students …… big mistake.

Growing up when I did I saw what happened to Riverdale, Dolton, Calumet City, Harvey and South Holland. Is Lansing next .. is there any hope for this great town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
The Landings isn't half empty. That retail area is doing pretty well. When someone is spewing nonsense, I can't help but think it's racially fueled comments. Sorry.

River Oaks in Cal City may have it's problems but empty storefronts or being "run down" isn't really one of them.

The village of Lynwood is signicantly more affluent than Lansing. I wager the two towns are a totally different economic class. Shouldn't it be LYNWOOD residents who are concerned with sending thier kids to school with kids from Lansing?

OP, this is the internet and you are a junior member. You are completely anonomous and have no reputation to maintain. Speak now HONESTLY about what's on your mind or forever hold your peace.

Last edited by urza216; 09-26-2011 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: improving my post a little bit

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM

If Lynwood had its own high school, it would prabobly be a better school than TF South. There are some wealthy people living in those mcmansions. Lynwood is the Olympia Fields of the east.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
If Lynwood had its own high school, it would prabobly be a better school than TF South. There are some wealthy people living in those mcmansions. Lynwood is the Olympia Fields of the east.
Does anyone know where kids from Glenwood go to high school? Since Lynwood and Glenwood share the same library, why not become a new district and both share a high school. Glenwood-Lynwood High School.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Suburbanite View Post
Does anyone know where kids from Glenwood go to high school? Since Lynwood and Glenwood share the same library, why not become a new district and both share a high school. Glenwood-Lynwood High School.
Why, because of the name?

Library Districts are stranger than school districts - as far as where the lines are drawn. For instance, Olympia Fields has no library so they go to Park Forest - you'd think Matteson. Most Monee residents live closer to the University Park Library but it's a part of the Peotone system. And therefore not even in the south suburban library system (). In spite of the name, Lynwood is more a part of the Lansing and Sauk Village area than Glenwood or Homewood. Or at least that's how I see it.

Currently Lynwood is in the same school district as the other suburbs far east that touch Indiana..

Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know where kids from Glenwood go to high school?
And btw, some Glenwood kids go to Bloom (in Chicago Heights) and others go to H-F (in Homewood).

I already knew that but I didn't know that was the entire village. It sure looks like it from this: http://www.villageofglenwood.com/ind...pe=B_BASIC&SEC

Quote:
Since Lynwood and Glenwood share the same library, why not become a new district and both share a high school. Glenwood-Lynwood High School.
Actually, that would makes sense.. haha

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 PM

157 posts, read 403,043 times
Quote:
Except for the thousand trailer homes

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
Except for the thousand trailer homes
You are right. EXCEPT FOR the thousand trailer homes. And the older part of town is more affordable too.

Lynwood is #81 on the list of "Top 101 cities with high-earning residents located near cities with low-earning residents"

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Lynwoo...#ixzz1Z76QmaQl

Last edited by urza216; 09-26-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 PM

247 posts, read 688,503 times
Quote:
Currently Lynwood is in the same school district as the other suburbs far east that touch Indiana..
Not all the suburbs that touch Indiana are the same district. That would mean all the kids in Cal City, Lansing, Lynwood, Chicago Heights, Sauk Village, and Crete would attend the same schools.

Most of the kids in Lynwood are in Sunnybrook District 171, which ends up feeding into TF South. The rest of the kids are in Sandridge District 172, which feeds into Bloom Trail.

Also, all those McMansions in Lynwood don't necessarily indicate a super-wealthy area. Many of the kids in District 171 and 172 are classified as low income.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM

247 posts, read 688,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoidPepsi View Post
I don’t see as much business in the town either. Sam’s club is gone and The Landings looks half empty.
Sam's Club is still in Lansing. It moved farther north on Torrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoidPepsi View Post
Much of this has to do with the agreement Lansing made with Lynwood in order to expand the airport: Lynwood would allow Lansing to annex the land it needed if Lansing took all of Lynwood’s high school students …… big mistake.
This never happened. Not all of Lynwood's students attend high school in Lansing. An agreement like that doesn't even sound legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs