Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,081,387 times

Advertisements

Support your Schools,

Hey now, correcting people on the forum like a technical @sshole? That's my job! And I can tell you are more familiar with Lansing than I am. Maybe a lot more. I just haven't been around there too much. But I wouldn't need any directions on how to drive to Torrence Avenue or Ridge Road in Lansing either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
Not all the suburbs that touch Indiana are the same district. That would mean all the kids in Cal City, Lansing, Lynwood, Chicago Heights, Sauk Village, and Crete would attend the same schools.
What? Where did you get the idea that Chicago Highes touches Indiana? I know Chicago Heights like the back of my hand. And not only does it not touch Indiana but Chicago Heights doesn't even touch another town that touches Indiana. If you're driving east on Route 30, you will pass through Chicago Heights then Ford Heights then Lynwood and THEN Dyer, Indiana. And speaking of which, if you head three towns west of Chicago Heights on Route 30 you roll into Frankfort - the west side of I-57. Three towns east of Chicago Heights is Indiana and three towns west of Chicago Heights is the southwest suburbs. Although it's a pretty quick and painless drive from Chicago Heights to Dyer, Indiana, I usually take I-57 coming Chicago Heights - not 394. It's not southeast, even if it is east of anywhere I've ever lived.

And btw, Bloom Trail only serves the far east side of Chicago Heights even if it's located in CHicago Heights. It serves the entire villages of Ford Heights, Sauk Village and Steger. Generally speaking, if you grew up in Chicago Heights and went to the public schools, you went to Bloom not Bloom Trail.

As for Crete, that's a different county so of course it's gonna be a different school district. But actually, no, ever single Cook County suburb that touches Indiana except for the one that is furthest south (Sauk Village) is in the same school district. Burnham, Cal City, Lansing and Lynwood all attenend TF north of TF south. Then there's Sauk Village and further south into Will County is Crete and Beecher...... And then further south of there is Momence. Gotta love the polluted but still beautiful Kankakee River.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,210,208 times
Only Thornton South saw a signficant drop in standarized testing. The elementary and middle schools are doing better in 2010 than they were doing in 2002.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,140,212 times
I thought the same thing when I was in Lansing a couple of years ago, it looked pretty run down to me but I didn't make a judgement after only one day trip but that was my first impression.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,112,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
Sam's Club is still in Lansing. It moved farther north on Torrence.

This never happened. Not all of Lynwood's students attend high school in Lansing. An agreement like that doesn't even sound legal.
I think Sam's club moved to Cal City-
Ridge road in Lansing is actually doing pretty good.

They have a lot of retail mixed in with some restaurants
Going into lansing on Torrence from the north is a diff story
lots of store fronts empty

it is nice to see ridge road is not going down hill

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,390 times
Default Regarding original post...

I recall Lansing in the late 80s, to mid 90s and I drove through there just recently. I guess when you remember how a place was, and then see what it has changed to, it kinda saddens you so I can relate to Altoidpepsi's comment.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frattura30 View Post
I recall Lansing in the late 80s, to mid 90s and I drove through there just recently. I guess when you remember how a place was, and then see what it has changed to, it kinda saddens you so I can relate to Altoidpepsi's comment.
I can relate to that. I can't relate to calling a place trash or run down when it simply isn't though.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Support your Schools,

Hey now, correcting people on the forum like a technical @sshole? That's my job! And I can tell you are more familiar with Lansing than I am. Maybe a lot more. I just haven't been around there too much. But I wouldn't need any directions on how to drive to Torrence Avenue or Ridge Road in Lansing either.

What? Where did you get the idea that Chicago Highes touches Indiana? I know Chicago Heights like the back of my hand. And not only does it not touch Indiana but Chicago Heights doesn't even touch another town that touches Indiana. If you're driving east on Route 30, you will pass through Chicago Heights then Ford Heights then Lynwood and THEN Dyer, Indiana. And speaking of which, if you head three towns west of Chicago Heights on Route 30 you roll into Frankfort - the west side of I-57. Three towns east of Chicago Heights is Indiana and three towns west of Chicago Heights is the southwest suburbs. Although it's a pretty quick and painless drive from Chicago Heights to Dyer, Indiana, I usually take I-57 coming Chicago Heights - not 394. It's not southeast, even if it is east of anywhere I've ever lived.

And btw, Bloom Trail only serves the far east side of Chicago Heights even if it's located in CHicago Heights. It serves the entire villages of Ford Heights, Sauk Village and Steger. Generally speaking, if you grew up in Chicago Heights and went to the public schools, you went to Bloom not Bloom Trail.

As for Crete, that's a different county so of course it's gonna be a different school district. But actually, no, ever single Cook County suburb that touches Indiana except for the one that is furthest south (Sauk Village) is in the same school district. Burnham, Cal City, Lansing and Lynwood all attenend TF north of TF south. Then there's Sauk Village and further south into Will County is Crete and Beecher...... And then further south of there is Momence. Gotta love the polluted but still beautiful Kankakee River.
Doesnt da heights touch sauk village around the ford stamping plant south of us 30
on c. grove unless the area south is all ford heights or maybe it touches steger??? so the area i am thinking of is north of sauk trail but south of us 30.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM

212 posts, read 616,169 times
I grew up in Thornton in the 70's and 80's. I remember when Dolton was decent. My grandmother still lives there. My most recent family member to move out of Lansing was my brother. He and his wife are in Valparaiso now. Haven't been back to Lansing since 2008 but am curious to hear how it's doing.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 AM

Default just was at a friends house in Sauk Village tonight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Doesnt da heights touch sauk village around the ford stamping plant south of us 30
on c. grove unless the area south is all ford heights or maybe it touches steger??? so the area i am thinking of is north of sauk trail but south of us 30.

North of Lincoln Highway and South of Sauk Trail on Cottage grove? I'm not entirely sure what village that's considered. I guess it's still Chicago Heights and not South Chicago Heights because Bloom Trail is on the corner of Sauk Trail and Cottage Grove. Although Cottage Grove is also the dividing line between Chicago Heights and Ford Heights right there on Lincoln Highway.

But I'm damn sure of one thing. It's definitely NOT Sauk Village. Sauk Village is further east all the way off of Torrence not Cottage Grove my friend. On the other side of Ford Heights not just the Ford plant. The area in between Lincoln Highway and Sauk Trail ON TORRENCE is Sauk Village. And west of Torrence is no longer Da Village. On Saul Trak, it's Sauk Village when you're east of 394. So yeah, no matter what fridge location, Cottage Grove is still a ways west as far as Sauk Village is concerned. This is a lot like speculating if an area south of Route 30 on Harlem Avenue is Tinley Park or not. No, it's definitely not. lol. Route 30 is way too south. Cottage Grove is way too west.

Nowhere does Chicago Heights come close to touching Sauk Village, not even on the fringes. I'm almost positive it doesn't even touch Steger. That's South Chicago Heights.

Last edited by urza216; 09-30-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 AM

Yeah South of the ford stamping plant
West side of Cottage Grove
before sauk trail

If you really want to confuse someone try to explain the boundary of cook county south of tinley park
You would know but few would know the lines

one other poster would know and he doesnt post anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs