Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 42,397 times

Advertisements

I have recently lived in Winnetka and was not very happy. For me there was too much homogeneity. I really wanted to make it work for my family as there was so much to offer, but I found myself venturing to Evanston all the time. Here is the dilemma I have two young children. I want some diversity, walkable, train to city and under 40 minute commute to North Chicago. Houses from 1920-30.
My current thoughts are: Wilmette (worried about NT and too much like Winnetka?) Evanston (worried about schools and frustration with taxes etc) and Arlington Heights (worried I will become bored)

I probably sound like a boar, but I liked the amenities of Winnetka, but would love something more down to earth. Maybe this is impossible. I just don't want to make the same mistakes. Any suggestions would be very welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Am thinking Evanston is your best bet.

Frustration with property taxes is common in all areas of greater Chicagoland.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Arlington Heights has really built up its downtown core so I don't think you will find it boring. It has a lot of the amenities of Winnetka, but not the lake. However there is no train service to North Chicago.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM

774 posts, read 2,497,380 times
Evanston probably fits your criteria the best, albeit closer to the lake/Northwestern.

I do have to always chuckle at the oft-repeated desire for a "down to Earth" neighborhood and then those people throw out a list of some of the priciest suburbs in the Chicago area. When you move to possibly the most expensive town pound-for-pound on the North Shore (one of the highest income areas in the entire nation) or, frankly, any other affluent area with highly-ranked schools, there's simply going to be a "keeping up with the Joneses" factor at some level. In most cases, it's more about how much you let it bother you than anything else if you choose to live in those areas (because even in places like Winnetka and Kenilworth, not *everyone* is like that). I don't know why a lot of people seem shocked that upper class towns typically act like... upper class towns.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 42,397 times
Default You got it Frank!

Thanks. and I agree with you. I am always swayed by the charming homes. That is my problem. I want the amenities and not the snobs. Is that so wrong?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM

505 posts, read 765,529 times
Do you think it might be different/better when your kids are a little older?

Is there an easier solution such as changing your social circle rather than changing where you live? Seems like the issue is with some of the people around you rather than something geographic.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,751,126 times
You want to live in an area that requires rich residents to fund it, without the rich residents!

You might consider Libertyville. I think it's a close cousin to Arlington Heights with a much shorter commute (although by car). If your budget allows perhaps consider Lake Bluff which is somewhat more down to earth than Winnetka.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM

358 posts, read 847,997 times
After living in Winnetka, you cannot possibly downgrade. Your only options are Glencoe, Wilmette, and maybe Highland Park.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 AM

114 posts, read 387,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Do you think it might be different/better when your kids are a little older?

Is there an easier solution such as changing your social circle rather than changing where you live? Seems like the issue is with some of the people around you rather than something geographic.
This is very good advice. In the 20 years I have lived here I have felt the way you do at times, especially when my kids were small. There are going to be people in any town that are not enjoyable to be around.

If you do decide to move, Evanston is fabulous but personally I would worry a lot more about ETHS than NT. Feel free to pm me if you want to. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdo
worried about NT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlest8 View Post
I would worry a lot more about ETHS than NT...
What's all this "worry" about NT? Concerned your kid won't fit in because he doesn't have the right sort of high-end European SUV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs