Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,991,583 times

Advertisements

Agree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

46 posts, read 144,594 times
Your comment brought a warm feeling. I had a friend in school called Muffy. She was the only black Muffy I knew. I miss living in da Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
"Muffy, should we buy the Bentley or the Maybach" "I don't know Thurston, the neighbors may look down on us if it's not a Bentley, but the Maybach is such a better value."

Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 AM

157 posts, read 504,872 times
And then, there is Winnetka CA. Now that's a treat.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 PM

115 posts, read 291,591 times
I remember you posted about a year ago saying you didn't feel comfortable in Winnetka. I'm sorry it hasn't gotten any better. It's got to be hard not enjoying your community.

Evanston is nice and more hip than Winnetka BUT I've heard from a few moms that in parts of Evanston there are families with the same kind of attitude you're trying to escape. As one of the moms bluntly put it, many are "Winnetka wannabes without the funds". Hang out there and get more of a feel for it. Also check out the schools in depth. I know there's a lottery to get into the "good" elementary schools if you don't live in the neighborhood.

Have you considered Northfield? It's more low key than Winnetka but still has all the perks and great schools. Parts of Wilmette are nice too and also less intense. One mom told me once that they picked Wilmette because her hubby wanted to live on the north shore but in a place where he didn't feel like he had to shower and shave to run to the hardware store on Sunday morning.

Good luck. I wish you and your family inner peace... Soon!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 AM

114 posts, read 387,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah H. View Post
Evanston is nice and more hip than Winnetka BUT I've heard from a few moms that in parts of Evanston there are families with the same kind of attitude you're trying to escape. As one of the moms bluntly put it, many are "Winnetka wannabes without the funds". Hang out there and get more of a feel for it. Also check out the schools in depth. I know there's a lottery to get into the "good" elementary schools if you don't live in the neighborhood.

Have you considered Northfield? It's more low key than Winnetka but still has all the perks and great schools. Parts of Wilmette are nice too and also less intense. One mom told me once that they picked Wilmette because her hubby wanted to live on the north shore but in a place where he didn't feel like he had to shower and shave to run to the hardware store on Sunday morning.
Again, remember you will find people in any town that aren't enjoyable to be around. There really are some lovely people in Winnetka. There are also many "salt of the earth" type organizations in town doing great things-perhaps you could get involved with one of those and meet some like people.
Northfield is lovely, however there is very limited walk to anything because it is much more sprawling and suburban that the lakeside suburbs.
Believe me most men in Winnetka do not feel the need to shower and shave before going to the hardware store, that's just reverse snobbery!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
Are you really set on the north suburbs? What about Hinsdale . . . it is so beautiful and charming and has great walkability and a lovely downtown.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 AM

46 posts, read 144,594 times
I had been hoping this thread would rest.

My parents always said if people don't like you that's their problem.

That being said, snobbery should be the least of your concerns. Most snobs I know are hiding from something and that is the veil.

When people tell my mother what she should wear and what she should drive and who she should be, to be blunt and excuse my language, she says, " I am not pleasing anyone that is not %$#@ me."

And that is my mother in a nutshell and she literally told someone this that tried to pressure her into being the mold of what she thought my mother should represent and I was all of 12 or 13 at the time and I laughed and laughed and laughed. If you have a problem with members of your community you should tell them the same thing. What really is a friend? Someone that lets you be yourself.

Maybe I directed my comments in the wrong manner but this is what I thought when I read your statement of wanting to be somewhere down-to-earth

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlest8 View Post
Again, remember you will find people in any town that aren't enjoyable to be around. There really are some lovely people in Winnetka. There are also many "salt of the earth" type organizations in town doing great things-perhaps you could get involved with one of those and meet some like people.
Northfield is lovely, however there is very limited walk to anything because it is much more sprawling and suburban that the lakeside suburbs.
Believe me most men in Winnetka do not feel the need to shower and shave before going to the hardware store, that's just reverse snobbery!
I don't agree. Main difference is the larger properties are on quiet side streets with no sidewalks. But once you get to busier streets like Sunset Ridge, Wagner, Winnetka and even Willow there are sidwalks seperated a decent amount from the main road. The older, denser part south of Willow and east of Wagner has sidewalks on all it's streets. From that section, you can walk to Dominick's, Walgreens, a hardware store, Starbuck's, parks, schools and even to the Forest Preserve (use caution using the sidewalk over the Edens.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM

115 posts, read 291,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlest8 View Post
Funny you say this about Winnetka. When this conversation occurred a group of moms and I were talking about how we came to live in Wilmette and why not Winnetka or some of the other North shore suburbs. Back then, in the good old days of bidding wars and one month old listings being considered "old", Winnetka seemed to have more of "that" reputation than Wilmette. I don't even think there's a hardware store in Winnetka anyway. Bess on Willow is Northfield, right?

I hope the OP finds her happy place. Moving is tough!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah H. View Post
Funny you say this about Winnetka. When this conversation occurred a group of moms and I were talking about how we came to live in Wilmette and why not Winnetka or some of the other North shore suburbs. Back then, in the good old days of bidding wars and one month old listings being considered "old", Winnetka seemed to have more of "that" reputation than Wilmette. I don't even think there's a hardware store in Winnetka anyway. Bess on Willow is Northfield, right?

I hope the OP finds her happy place. Moving is tough!
Did the hardware store on Elm St., just east of the train tracks close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs