Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,003 times

Advertisements

We just put an offer on a house in Inverness Illinois right on Ela rd. We were attracted by the high end finishes of the house, the school district and the low property taxes but we are wondering how life may be like raising two kids in a non-subdivision community? Having a 5 year old and a one year old, I would like to know if Inverness has a park district, a downtown, nice shopping areas? Any areas to stay away from? We would appreciate all the details you may have before we make up our minds on the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodontist View Post
We just put an offer on a house in Inverness Illinois right on Ela rd. We were attracted by the high end finishes of the house, the school district and the low property taxes but we are wondering how life may be like raising two kids in a non-subdivision community? Having a 5 year old and a one year old, I would like to know if Inverness has a park district, a downtown, nice shopping areas? Any areas to stay away from? We would appreciate all the details you may have before we make up our minds on the house.
Inverness doesn't have any commercial areas in the village (well technically there is a small business park). It's purely a residential village. You have to go to Palatine to do any shopping, food, entertainment, etc. They do have a park district, I believe.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM

358 posts, read 848,604 times
Try Google.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,937,026 times
The Democratic club of Inverness just had its party picnic. I hear they both had a good time.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,629,786 times
I live "next door" in Barrington Hills, a 5 acre min community,similar to Inverness as we have no "town",but travel the 3 miles to Barrington downtown for grocery/gas/doc/ etc.
We love the space, wild life and privacy. There were not kids right around us, but ,We kept the kids very active with the wonderful programs in the Barrington Park dist. THere is a great YMCA on Rt 14 in Palatine that also has great year round programs for kids.We had the kids enrolled in pre school (we used Montessori) and they remained very active.I imagine you will find similar in Palatine.
You are surrounded by shopping areas of every imaginable store. In fact, about 10-15 minutes from you is Woodfield Mall and the whole surrounding area is a shopping planet, it it aint there,they dont make it. You just cant walk there. You get to go home to peace and beauty. I know the area you bought, its very nice. I can not think of any area in Inverness to avoid. THere is some section 8 housing in Palatine, but not anything that would affect you. I think your kids will do just fine.
Welcome to the area.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,003 times
Thank you so much for all your replies especially nanannie. Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,998,131 times
You should also go knock on some doors in the neighborhood you're considering moving to. They are probably the best possible source of info for what it's like to live there, and you get a chance to check them out. Nothing worse than living next to real jerks.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Properties on Ela are more affordable than other areas in Inverness because Ela is a relatively busy road during commuting hours and because such properties tend to be a tad isolated.

Inverness has a park district with limited programs compared to Palatine or Barrington. Many use park services of the neighboring communities at non-resident rates. There are plenty of programs for young children in both Palatine and Barrington.

Take the opportunity to drive the area and distances to grocery stores and other routine services. I am thinking that the Jewel and Dominicks on E. Dundee in Palatine are your closet options at 10-15 minutes each way, dependent upon traffic. You can find just about anything on Rand Road between Lake Zurich and Arlington Heights.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am thinking that the Jewel and Dominicks on E. Dundee in Palatine are your closet options at 10-15 minutes each way, dependent upon traffic.
There's a Jewel on Palatine Rd about a mile west of Ela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs