Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:19 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,935 times

Advertisements

During the 1950s, I was actually raised as a kid in La Grange Park, IL. And so I have only visited Westchester about a few times in my lifetime - - all many years ago.

Back in the 1950s, the only new homes contractor was known as "Jordan". I suppose that was his last name... and soon his typical home design became known as a "Jordan".

When people ask questions about Brookfield and the La Grange area, I am expectantly waiting for comments about Westchester. But I have failed to see them.

So does anyone have comments on the viability of Westchester, IL in our contemporary world of today? Is the crime low there? What about schools and home prices? Thank you, good friend !

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,697 times
Westchester is okay, it's nothing special. Crime is not low but not really high either, especially considering the proximity of Maywood and Hillside just to the north. Schools are mediocre, and home prices are around $300k. It's a nice town but there's nothing to draw people to it - no downtown area, no Metra, etc.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,935 times
Default Hello Ahava

Thanks for your response. 1950 is a long time ago and I guess I will have to look at the atlas again. I can remember my grandmother riding with me on an old Chicago 'elevated' system out to Westchester. But at that time - - circa mid 1940s - - the 'elevated' system to Westchester was on the ground. From memory, it seemed to terminate some where around Mannheim Road. But I can't remember for sure. During the 1940s and 50s, both the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin RR and what is now the "CTA" elevated system went all over the west side of Chicago and then even out to Belvidere, IL. It's a shame that the system is not in place today since gas prices keep climbing.

Carter Glass

Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Boy you aren't kidding. What is now the Cermak/54 Blue and Pink Line used to run all the way through Berwyn to Oak Park Ave. until 1951, when they shut it down and ended it at 54th St. in Cicero. And they had the land to run it all the way out to Harlem too. It's now all a parking lot called the Vacin Fairway today. I guess it sounded like a good idea at the time but a day doesn't go by where I don't lament that You can get to Cermak/54 pretty easily by Pace bus but still, it would be so much better if it were here. I hear rumors from time to time that it will be expanded back out here but I wouldn't look for that in the near future given the CTA's sorry financial state.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Westchester is a very nice quiet town, very close to expressways, downtown and oak brook mall. I honestly don't know why it is not more popular. The high school that serves that area is proviso west which also serves maywood and bellwood. recently of which have problems with drugs and several murders - so I am guessing in association with that, the high school would be suspect.

But most everyone in that town is catholic and sends their kids to catholic schools anyway. VERY nice town - I know many people that live there and love it.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I honestly don't know why it is not more popular. The high school that serves that area is proviso west.
There's your answer. It's hard to convince affluent families to move to a community like Westchester without strong schools and it's hard to turn the schools around without affluent families. Catch-22. It also sucks when your high school is controlled by people outside your community, as is the case there. Proviso East hasn't stopped Forest Park from growing but that community is close to the L and appeals to empty nesters and young singles, which negates this to a degree. Westchester doesn't have that same appeal.

This is a problem I'm all too familiar with. In Berwyn's case, Morton West completely overshadows strong performances by the grade and middle schools. It's part of District 201 which means that: a) a disproportionate amount of our tax dollars fund Morton East in Cicero; and, b) the HS's Board of Education is primarily made up of peeps who are part of the Cicero political machine. Not a good thing. Berwyn is trying to break MW away from District 201 and form a unit district which would include all of Berwyn's schools. That would help a lot (but it's definitely not easy to do). That would be almost impossible for Westchester because it is so small and doesn't have a HS located within its borders.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Yeah, I get ya. Although like I stated above, there is a large population of people with italian and bohemian ancestry there which are historically very catholic. Every one I ever knew from there went through the catholic school system.

Berkeley and Hillside are in the same boat. Unfortunately, those nice little quiet towns get lumped in with maywood and bellwood which have been getting worse lately. While berkeley and hillside are getting better.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM

79 posts, read 264,542 times
Westchester is a very quiet area with not much growth as far as retail which hurts the community. The only “real” retail is at Wolf & 31st which consists of Dominick’s (love their gourmet section) and a few small shops including “Scott’s Pet Shop”.

The first question every homebuyer asks me is “how about the school system”. The people that I have shown homes to in the area loved the homes, but not the high school so they ended up moving on.

It really depends on how long you intend on living there, it’s really great area. The north end is nestled against the woods where you can see wildlife activity like familes of deer, rabbits, etc...and have a bike/running trail right in your back yard!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I was just there for a wedding. No one else I was with had every heard of it. It's nice, quiet, typical....just a run of the mill suburb. Nothing wrong with that though!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 9,050 times
I lived there from 1950 to 58. How fun! But then those were the days when we could walk & play alone.......all those wonderful safe things. It was rumored that the Priest at Divine Infant (Catholic church & elem. school) once preached from his pulpit that his goal was to make Westchester an "all" catholic community. Very quiet community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs