Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 20,891 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are looking at buying a home in Elmhurst, we would like to be as close to the downtown core as possible but also would like to stay in the low 400kish range.

There is a small alcove (4-5 square block radius) of homes that are south of the metra tracks, west of the college, north of st. charles, and east of West ave. I believe it is referred to as College View.

It has the home/neighborhood type we prefer with small 3 br cape cods, colonials, tudors that we can make our own with small updates 50-100k but don't want a full rehab project. I've seen a few homes here for sale in the 300-400k that appear to be in very good condition. I've also noticed that there appears to be less of the massive build outs which we also prefer but also makes me question why this area hasn't been targeted?

Even within the College View area prices ramp up quickly from when you move two blocks east from Fairview/Beverley to Fairfield/Grace.

Is there any issues with this area? flooding from Salt Creek? If so has this been improved with routing of flood water to quarry. Is proximity of the quarry an issue? Quarry is on the other side of the tracks...

Just seems prices are far less a few blocks west of the college campus even though they are in the same section/school disctrics for elementary, middle and highschool.

On a separate note, how is getting approved for additions in Elmhurst. Are permits a major pain?

Appreciate whatever info or other are recommendations you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I have relatives who live in this area, they love it. they have never flooded. Personally I grew up in elmhurst, love it, but could not afford to buy there. Can't say about permits, but most any city is going to be a bit of a hassle otherwise those building inspectors wouldn't be earning their money? Your contractor will be handling any permits though. Unless you are diy? You may have some train noise the closer you are to the tracks, something to think about.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The downsides are mostly limited to the fact those slighter smaller lots do not support as monstorous a teardown, slight noise / traffic issues from both York High School and Elmhuirst college itself, and the ancient "tremors" from when the quarry was actively blasting.

There is also a PERCEPTION that the higher numbers of rentals (both apartments and homes that owned by investors that LIKE the proximity to the college for its obvious turn over...) attract a more transient class of family, but I have seen little evidence to back this up...

Elmhurst is reallly one of the few towns in DuPage Co old enough and big enough to history of "happy vs disenfranchised" homeowners and the quarry which seems like not a big deal NOW ,did lead to LOTS of folks butting heads with those in quieter parts of town, so much so that the anger drove away some families...

Old 09-26-2011, 06:49 PM

36 posts, read 105,832 times
Teardowns per se are not "monstrous". To remove an aging home in bad condition is not only a property owners expected right, but completely reasonable as well. When people talk about teardown issues it's usually about the quality or aesthetics of the new building. (This is worth clarifying because in some towns -- Kenilworth may be the worst of all -- local busybodies have installed breathtakingly appalling teardown restrictions in a misguided attempt to keep houses that they don't like from going up.)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Sodium may not be familiar with the "context" of the "College View" neighborhood in Elmhurst -- it borders the "College Hill" section of Elmhurst where the lots truly CAN support MANSION sized homes. There has been some teardown activity in pretty much every part of Elmhurst, and last time I had a need to check (about 4 years ago...) the rules were mostly straightforward -- bigger homes are OK on bigger lots and more appropriately scaled homes are allowed on more compact lots.

I agree that MANY communities have overly restrictive regulations for tear downs and OFTEN those rules come from the meddling of some PITA types that got their noses out of joint over something that went up near them. This misguided nonsesne HURTS THE INSTIAGATOR as they are stuck with the "undesired" teardown being grandfathered in BUT their own lot is now LESS desirable and the BIGGER home of their 'rival' is be extension MORE valuable on the secondary market. I have personally seen smart sellers advertise things like "legal grandfathered bonus home office over garage / in-law suite in third floor garrett" as a final "stick in the eye" of their small minded neighbors that have made such desired features un-buildable under overly restrictive "updates" to the local zoning ordinances in towns where such meddlers operate.

It is very odd.

Personally I LOVE truly historic homes of just about every era. My sister lives in the 19th century Victorian in Lincoln Square. I have owned mid-century modern ranch homes that had some neat architectural traits, post WW I Cape Cods from the early part of the suburbanization, farm houses, and others. If it makes sense to update / expand any of these homes smart buyes and builders will do so given appropriate market conditions.
When some indescript shack is removed and well built and thoughtfully designed home replaces it there is no "loss"...
My belief is that too many people express their jealousy at no longer having the biggest / fanciest home on the block / in town by marking their ZBA update the codes in ways that are vindictive.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
Default College View

Are U & UR wife still in search of a home in the College View neighborhood of Elmhurst. ? Local Builder has an existing home ( not new construction ) that matches your description. Also, has experience with local Building Dept and permitting process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macteago View Post
Wife and I are looking at buying a home in Elmhurst, we would like to be as close to the downtown core as possible but also would like to stay in the low 400kish range.

There is a small alcove (4-5 square block radius) of homes that are south of the metra tracks, west of the college, north of st. charles, and east of West ave. I believe it is referred to as College View.

It has the home/neighborhood type we prefer with small 3 br cape cods, colonials, tudors that we can make our own with small updates 50-100k but don't want a full rehab project. I've seen a few homes here for sale in the 300-400k that appear to be in very good condition. I've also noticed that there appears to be less of the massive build outs which we also prefer but also makes me question why this area hasn't been targeted?

Even within the College View area prices ramp up quickly from when you move two blocks east from Fairview/Beverley to Fairfield/Grace.

Is there any issues with this area? flooding from Salt Creek? If so has this been improved with routing of flood water to quarry. Is proximity of the quarry an issue? Quarry is on the other side of the tracks...

Just seems prices are far less a few blocks west of the college campus even though they are in the same section/school disctrics for elementary, middle and highschool.

On a separate note, how is getting approved for additions in Elmhurst. Are permits a major pain?

Appreciate whatever info or other are recommendations you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs