Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM

34 posts, read 45,191 times

Advertisements

As a true conservative who does not embrace diversity and ultra liberal thoughts, would Elmhurst be a good fit for our family with a price range of $400,000. If so, does anyone forsee this towns demographics to change in the near future?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 PM

298 posts, read 579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned resident View Post
As a true conservative who does not embrace diversity and ultra liberal thoughts, would Elmhurst be a good fit for our family with a price range of $400,000. If so, does anyone forsee this towns demographics to change in the near future?
Like on the other thread, this suburb is a mixture of types and you will not find it to be homogenious in the way that you are wanting. I know both conservative and progressive folks from Elmhurst, most of whom do not take such a hard line on things. Actually, the "true conservatives" that you seek you will find in many places, but they won't be the ONLY people you'll find. Not in Chicagoland. Really, for 400K you are NOT going to find a place in the closer in burbs that fits your demographic desires (i.e., all white). When you do find your dream burb, please post your address so the rest of us know where NOT to move.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times
$400k is a tear down in one of the "subdivisions" out there. "Subdivision" in Elmhurst-speak means 1950s neighborhood far from downtown and interspersed with giant McMansions trying to outmuscle each other. You'd barely be able to afford the lot, much less tear down the ratty '50s 1-story ranch and build something in keeping with the Jones next door. As Adele said, the prospects of $400k and all white ain't all that bright. That figure is nowhere near enough to buy you, er, insurance against demographic changes.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 PM

34 posts, read 45,191 times
Well in regards to Bru67s remarks, I have found some pretty descent all brick ranches near butterfield and york in the Bryan school district for 399,000 that need minimal work. These houses were definately not tear downs as opposed to some of the more raggedy, cheaper frame homes in the area that could easily be seen as future teardowns. Not to change towns, but does anyone have feedback on Orland Park and Itasca. Is it conservative and how are the schools?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 AM

142 posts, read 427,210 times
Orland Park is conservative, not very diverse, and has good schools. It's very sprawling, so with the housing market what it is you could probably get a decent house for $400K. There might be one or two minority families though, so I'd suggest going door to door first to find out where they live. You can then locate yourself as far away from them as possible.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:12 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
I think you're going to have to look in Northern Wisconsin or the Dakotas (but even those areas are increasingly voting for Dems).

You can run, but you can't hide. The country is changing, and "diversity" and "demographic changes" will soon be occurring even in the most far-flung suburbs.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,093 times
Quote:
I think you're going to have to look in Northern Wisconsin or the Dakotas (but even those areas are increasingly voting for Dems).

You can run, but you can't hide. The country is changing, and "diversity" and "demographic changes" will soon be occurring even in the most far-flung suburbs.
I agree. There are very few places in this country with no minorities. The places that are moderately livable will have some minorities in them. Livable places tend to have solid employers, colleges and universities, and other cultural amenities that draw people to them regardless of race. The search for the all-white utopia will likely take you to the boondocks of West Virginia and such, but then you'll be surrounded by poor people, whom the OP also doesn't like.

You might as well stay put where you are, learn to live with your new neighbors, accept diversity without necessarily giving up your identity.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Well in regards to Bru67s remarks, I have found some pretty descent all brick ranches near butterfield and york in the Bryan school district for 399,000 that need minimal work. These houses were definately not tear downs as opposed to some of the more raggedy, cheaper frame homes in the area that could easily be seen as future teardowns. Not to change towns, but does anyone have feedback on Orland Park and Itasca. Is it conservative and how are the schools?
I was going to suggest Sycamore but that’s next to a university town and thus some liberalism may seep in. Orland Park would be ok, for now, but it is relatively near some south suburban communities which are changing demographically. Not saying Orland’s going to change with them but I don’t think anyone can sit here and assure you 100% it won’t. As BJT says, there are some relatively inexpensive subdivisions there. Itasca is already 10% Latino and in the path of Hispanic western migration. And I doubt those $399.99k specials in the trashy part of Elmhurst are going to provide you with much diversity insurance.

I don’t know, this is quite a dilemma. Would you consider Wyoming?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM

142 posts, read 427,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I don’t know, this is quite a dilemma. Would you consider Wyoming?
Nope, bad choice too. Mexican immigrants are cutting a path up I-25 through New Mexico, Colorado, and, yes, even Wyoming.

According to city data, you should look at Mud Creek, Kentucky. It has a population over 5,000 so it's not too rural, and according to the numbers there are only 36.5 Hispanic people there.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
Nope, bad choice too. Mexican immigrants are cutting a path up I-25 through New Mexico, Colorado, and, yes, even Wyoming.
Dude. Shhhhhh! I'm trying to sell over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs