Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Northwest Indiana a part of Chicagoland?
Yes 45 72.58%
No 16 25.81%
Other - please explain 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,521 times

Advertisements

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I would say no. Not really sure why juts how I feel. I know it's kinda arbitrary and a stupid breakdown but I would say it's close to Chicago, hell I would even say it's in the Chicagoland area but I wouldn't call it a Chicago suburb.

Kinda funny I feel this way b/c I do consider say AUrora to be a Chicago suburb even though it's further away than many NWI cities but that's just how I consider it. NOt sure if its that its a diff state or what, just how I feel.
sound reasoning

Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,498 times
Yeah, for all practical purposes I would say Lake and Porter County and even maybe Michigan City would count as suburbs. Good numbers of people commute in for work every day.

There's more of a Chicago suburban feel along 41.

I'm in Porter County, and although I like spending time in Illinois, I'm often put off by the time and cost of getting there. When you get to Chesterton, Valparaiso, and Merrillville, its a little bit more isolated. It also doesn't feel as much like Illinois. Much less traffic. Less public and cultural amenities (we have some, but not like the inner burbs are developed.) Just personal opinion, but I also think people are a bit more guarded than the Illinoisans I know (Illinoisans are more bold; Hoosiers are more reserved; I've lived on both sides of the border.) It's very nice here, but its a little bland, I think. But people in the far burbs on the Illinois side might say the same thing about their towns.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,498 times
The Chicago weather forecasters on TV mention Gary, Merrillville, and Valpo on their newscasts every day, and have for years. The stations rarely if ever cover any news or sports here, though.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Definatley consider parts of NorthWestIndiana suburbs

Specifically- Hammond, Dyer, Munster, Highland
Schererville, Whiting, East Chicago

Once you get beyond that point I would say the cities of Merrillville, Valpo, Chesterton
Portage, Porter close to the city of Chicago but not really connected in terms of being a suburb.

These cities seem to have their own balance- fewer commuters, local industry to support jobs, higher learning institutions , recreation, entertainment
In other words they have their own identity

Closer to the state line is just an imaginary line and thats about it

Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 PM

70 posts, read 96,421 times
The cities in Northwest Indiana that I consider suburbs are those that workers can commute to on the South Shore daily with ease: Chesterton, Hammond, East Chicago, Gary, Miller, etc.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
Very true
Another poster was mentioning the south shore
does that train line have a limited schedule

Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM

139 posts, read 379,912 times
Gary and all those other towns are big, and independent making them not a suburb of chicago. Just like Kenosha, a big town in a bordered state but independent and not a suburb

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanbears View Post
Gary and all those other towns are big, and independent making them not a suburb of chicago. Just like Kenosha, a big town in a bordered state but independent and not a suburb
Gary (and Hammond) are the only "big" cities in Northwest Indiana...the rest of the towns average anywhere from 10,000 to 30,000 in population...similar populations to many south suburban towns/villages...and just as dependent on Chicago as well...the further you get from the city (say past Valpo to the east and Cedar Lake to the south) the less dependent on Chicago the areas become. Yes, each town in nwi has some of their own economy (Munster with medical offices and PepsiCo, Merrillville and Hobart heavy in retail) but the main link these towns have are as commuter suburbs to Chicago..Also, while rail connection is a big marker of a classic suburb, not all suburbs (like South Holland, Calumet City, Lansing, Lynwood, Crete) are served by rail..and those are still considered suburbs.....each side of the state line does have vast differences as well as some similarities.....but one side or the other does not dictate whether a town is considered a suburb.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
If you follow this flawed reasoning, then Waukegan, Aurora, Joliet, Elgin, etc. wouldn't be suburbs either, yet they are. Even Kenosha can arguably be called the most distant suburb of Chicago IMO (I can see people disagreeing on that one a bit more though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanbears View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs