Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times

Advertisements

i really really REALLY think they should extend Metra down to Kankakee before extending Metra up to a whole different Metro area. In fact, I would be mad if they extended Metra to Milwakee before Kankakee. it already annoys me that Metra goes to Kenosha but not Kankakee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
i really really REALLY think they should extend Metra down to Kankakee before extending Metra up to a whole different Metro area. In fact, I would be mad if they extended Metra to Milwakee before Kankakee. it already annoys me that Metra goes to Kenosha but not Kankakee
Kankakee County would have to join, and pay taxes to, Metra before that could happen. Efforts to extend to Milwaukee are further along because the three counties north of Kenosha have been working on it, and examining funding methods for several years. And I believe it would be necessary to change trains at Kenosha.http://www.transitnow.org/KRM.html

Last edited by pvande55; 02-29-2012 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
I do realize some of the thoughts are from a while back.

But one poster did mention the taxes in will county being less expensive than cook.

I would have to disagree- seems to me will county property taxes are a whole lot more than in cook county.

obviously it depends what district you live as well as what city or village.
but the notion cook is altogether more expensive is not true.

The STAR line would be awesome.
I have not heard anything about that proposal in along time.

To me Kankakee would make sense.
You would have a metra line to kankakee and to the south suburban airport (it it ever happens)
in addition you would serve portions in eastern cook and eastern will. In the no mans land that really is inbetween metra and the south shore. In specific.
Lynwood, parts of glenwood, crete, steger, Dyer, IN , parts of Munster, IN. s. heights, ch. heights.

there is a large amount of people in these areas that commute to the city on a daily basis. not even counting the commuters from kankakee, bradley and borbonnais.

I remember seeing the Metra Electric line is a profitable line.
I do not think its fair to say the cities of Harvey, Riverdale have not benefited form the line.

To me the line is a vital link for people in the city who probably have lower paying jobs.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM

185 posts, read 594,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Kankakee County would have to join, and pay taxes to, Metra before that could happen. Efforts to extend to Milwaukee are further along because the three counties north of Kenosha have been working on it, and examining funding methods for several years. And I believe it would be necessary to change trains at Kenosha.Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee Commuter Trains
The KRM (Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee) project was officially killed in September 2011 after 7(?) years of study. SERTA (Southeast Regional Transit Authority) has been disbanded.

Before Metra, the C&NW used to run the commuter service on what are now the three Metra UP lines. On the North Line, it ran several daily trains all the way to Milwaukee (although they were not considered part of the commuter service). The Milwaukee Road also ran trains to Milwaukee on what is now the Metra Milwaukee District North Line. When Amtrak took over inter-city rail service they canceled the C&NW service to Milwaukee and retained the Milwaukee Road line.

It is sad that it takes so much effort and so many years of study just to restore former service. But in any case, the project is now dead.

If anyone needs to commute to Milwaukee from Union Station or Glenview, Amtrak does sell monthly tickets on the line.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I do realize some of the thoughts are from a while back.

But one poster did mention the taxes in will county being less expensive than cook.

I would have to disagree- seems to me will county property taxes are a whole lot more than in cook county.

obviously it depends what district you live as well as what city or village.
but the notion cook is altogether more expensive is not true.

The STAR line would be awesome.
I have not heard anything about that proposal in along time.

To me Kankakee would make sense.
You would have a metra line to kankakee and to the south suburban airport (it it ever happens)
in addition you would serve portions in eastern cook and eastern will. In the no mans land that really is inbetween metra and the south shore. In specific.
Lynwood, parts of glenwood, crete, steger, Dyer, IN , parts of Munster, IN. s. heights, ch. heights.

there is a large amount of people in these areas that commute to the city on a daily basis. not even counting the commuters from kankakee, bradley and borbonnais.

I remember seeing the Metra Electric line is a profitable line.
I do not think its fair to say the cities of Harvey, Riverdale have not benefited form the line.

To me the line is a vital link for people in the city who probably have lower paying jobs.
There is no reason why an airport has to be built for a Metra rail to Kankakee to be built.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
However it is fitting in with a vision the agencies have for the south suburban area.

south suburban airort
illiana expressway
metra south east expansion
80-57 entrance and exits

Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
However it is fitting in with a vision the agencies have for the south suburban area.

south suburban airort
illiana expressway
metra south east expansion
80-57 entrance and exits
And an extension of 355 to connect with I-57 hopefully.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Exclamation Update

It has been a little over two years since this has been discussed on here. I just read this article about the proposed line. Since NWI has made major moves in beginning to develop the "West Lake Corridor" of the South Shore Line, this seems to have revitalized efforts to develop the "SouthEast Line" of the Metra network.

Proponents of southeast Metra line say project still on track

Any opinions on this?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
It has been a little over two years since this has been discussed on here. I just read this article about the proposed line. Since NWI has made major moves in beginning to develop the "West Lake Corridor" of the South Shore Line, this seems to have revitalized efforts to develop the "SouthEast Line" of the Metra network.

Proponents of southeast Metra line say project still on track

Any opinions on this?
Well, it won't "revitalize" the south suburbs but it will be a nice thing to have. People in Chicago Heights will be able to walk to the Metra station.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,410 times
It can only help. After all, a very significant percentage of south suburbanites commute to jobs in the Chicago Loop. Since the south suburbs aren't exactly as abundant with jobs, it only makes sense that Loop jobs (even the lower paid roles) would be a huge draw. The same thing applies to NW Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs