Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a twenty year old white male currently living in Orland Park at my parents house. I am planning on moving out in the next few years (mostly due to me family crap). I haven't started to search for houses/apartments yet but I have been driving around looking for which burbs would best fit my needs. I currently work one full time (40 hours) minimum wage job at subway in Orland Hills, and plan on picking up another job in the Orland park/Orland hills area.
Things I'm looking for are:

1. Close to where I work in Orland Hills/Orland Park, (I also might attend Moraine Valley in Palos Hills so close to that too)
2. Cheap!!!
3. safe enough.

Some places I have looked at are; Midlothian, Crestwood, Palos Hills, and Worth. From what I understand from living near these places is that they are all very safe and for the most part not way overpriced like Orland. (I especially like Worth). My biggest concern is price, I'm not as concerned about safety or being close to my job (although those things are important).

I have also looked at some houses on the west side of Robbins (west of pulaski near 135th, right by crestwood) . I know how dangerous Robbins can be but I wouldn't be going further into Robbins at all, Id just be living there and doing all my shopping in crestwood and and other boarding towns. The only reason I even bring up Robbins is because I know some people who live in the neiborhood west of pulaski and they have never complained about the crime, plus houses are dirt cheap. besides, how bad can it be if it's that close to crestwood?

I would greatly appreciate any advise (especially regarding the safety of west Robbins) that anyone has to offer, and please mention any specific neighborhoods that might be inexpensive and not to rough.
Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Take advantage of living for free at home. Avoid the crap and take some initiative to get a better job.Classes at community college are cheap. Vocational training type stuff at Morraine Valley are a good investment of your time.

Living in a bad area is not a good idea. Beyond the safety issues, which can be all over the map, you will potentially run into issues where living in a crummy area makes it harder to get a good job. If you have any interest in dating the combination of bad job, unsafe area and lack of initiative are going to limit your date potential...

Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
I'd cross out the Robbins thing and go for Crestwood, Worth and western Midlo. We all know how expensive the Palos trio can be, so how about trying Chgo Ridge?

Last edited by deechee; 04-28-2011 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM

180 posts, read 409,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swburbs18 View Post
I have also looked at some houses on the west side of Robbins

1) stay at home
2) if you're stuck on moving out, get a roommate (or two) because there really isn't much that can be done on minimum wage (unless you apply for some kind of gov't assistance... which, who knows how that works?)

Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerjim View Post

1) stay at home
2) if you're stuck on moving out, get a roommate (or two) because there really isn't much that can be done on minimum wage (unless you apply for some kind of gov't assistance... which, who knows how that works?)
Lol well if he doesn't want a roomate, he can always go for a one bedroom or studio in any of those communities. I think in that situation he should stick with Crestwood and Chgo Ridge for quality of rentals. Palos has some rentals, but I am not sure on prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs