Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

Well I've lived in my new apartment for 5 months and I've noticed alot of safety hazards here that are pretty messd up.. Well for one out thermostat was broke n they knew about it n didnt fix it till feb and we have babies here.. Then toilet leaked for three months n ruins tile on side of toilet. No peep hole in door, fridge don't work, stove has been filthy since we moved here, n only two pilots work on it, kitchen sink leaks and balcony carpet is hangin off stairs n balcony.. Also where they tried to redo the stairs on one side there's about six nails stickin out of the wall goin down stairs so u tell me should I pay or save n move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM

746 posts, read 2,251,127 times
I would write a letter - stating that the items listed must be corrected or you will withhold rent until they have been. If they are not complete within 30 days you will vacate your apartment with no penalty.

Please make sure you have someone proofread your letter before you print it. Send it return receipt certified. (to make sure you know who received your letter so they can't say they never got it).

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,857,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbjuju View Post
n... n... n... n... n... u... n...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY
Please make sure you have someone proofread your letter before you print it.
Definately let a trusted adult proof read it for you. I had a hard time making it through your post.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,791,895 times
You should review your contract to see what the landlord is responsible for. There are usually things that the contract covers and things it doesn't. If there is a safety concern it is most likely the landlords responsibility, but you never know. If the agreement doesn't satisfy your requirements then you may either try to work it out with the landlord or move, but understand that if it's not in the legal agreement the landlord may not have to fix it.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,297,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbjuju View Post
Well I've lived in my new apartment for 5 months and I've noticed alot of safety hazards here that are pretty messd up.. Well for one out thermostat was broke n they knew about it n didnt fix it till feb and we have babies here.. Then toilet leaked for three months n ruins tile on side of toilet. No peep hole in door, fridge don't work, stove has been filthy since we moved here, n only two pilots work on it, kitchen sink leaks and balcony carpet is hangin off stairs n balcony.. Also where they tried to redo the stairs on one side there's about six nails stickin out of the wall goin down stairs so u tell me should I pay or save n move!!
A responsible landlord should fix these things. HOWEVER, there is nothing wrong with fixing them yourself. The internet has many useful sites for simple home repairs. The toilet may be pretty simple. Take the lid off and flush and observe and you can probably figure out how to repair it. Hardware stores have kits or parts for this.

Clean the stove yourself. If it's an older stove, remove the burner and clean it and you probably will get the burner to light. Same with fridge. Clean it.

Again, in a perfect world this is done for you, but no excuse to just sit idly by and not roll up your sleeves and clean or attempt a fairly simple repair. Save the receipts for the toilet repair parts and the cleaning supplies for the stove and fridge; copy receipts and include with next rent check where you will deduct these expenses.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:47 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,084,075 times
I hope you took pictures when you moved in. If not, it might be hard to prove these things without them.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,926,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Save the receipts ...; copy receipts and include with next rent check where you will deduct these expenses.
I've done this before. For one, it's surely an attention grabber. Usually they step right up to the plate when you do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I hope you took pictures when you moved in. If not, it might be hard to prove these things without them.
Can't stress this enough. Always have a checklist at move in, and at move out. You, anyone living with you over 18, and your landlord should all sign it.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,345,822 times
Generally speaking there are health and safety laws that address some of the issues. What suburb do you live in?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,094,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Generally speaking there are health and safety laws that address some of the issues. What suburb do you live in?
The OP's city data profile says he or she lives in Oak Forest. There are a lot of apartments out that way. I know people who live in Oak Forest apartments and haven't heard any complaints like the OP's. In my experience, Oak Forest has some real nice apartments. It's all about location, I guess.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:29 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,926,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The OP's city data profile says he or she lives in Oak Forest. There are a lot of apartments out that way. I know people who live in Oak Forest apartments and haven't heard any complaints like the OP's. In my experience, Oak Forest has some real nice apartments. It's all about location, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs